2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

JMac: Table is updated and thanks for giving a goal; at the moment it is pretty light on those.

Darkwave: Thanks for the link; very interesting. I became painfully aware of how pathetic my ankle flexibility is when I started trying to do pistol squats. Not sure I will ever be able to do them properly as they require tremendous dorsiflexion to go all the way down. I would probably be prone to foot problems if I wore the VaporFlys. I'll stick to Asics DS racers.

2:52:16 (2018)

I really appreciate you doing this on a Friday afternoon so I don't have to go into the weekend with it hanging over my head.

Mikeymike - No problem!

Kalsarikännit

Mikeymike - No problem!

You are dead to Me.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JMac: Table is updated and thanks for giving a goal; at the moment it is pretty light on those.

Darkwave: Thanks for the link; very interesting. I became painfully aware of how pathetic my ankle flexibility is when I started trying to do pistol squats. Not sure I will ever be able to do them properly as they require tremendous dorsiflexion to go all the way down. I would probably be prone to foot problems if I wore the VaporFlys. I'll stick to Asics DS racers.

Ha!  For me the limiter on pistols is quad strength.   I've been doing them with a bench, trying to gradually lower the bench with ambitions of eventually doing full ones.

As for goals, I'll come up with some once I'm in better shape and closer to my races - just too far out right now.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

slingrunner

Thanks Darkwave for the link.

It's the next day now, and my feet feel fine, and I even did a rare morning treadmill run.  I have wide feet, and I went up a half size, and the fit feels good other than the stabbing in the left foot.  I'm not planning to wear these shoes regularly, so outside of the laces problem, I'm not too concerned now..  I've also been doing ankle exercises for my never ending plantar fasciitis so maybe that helps.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

finbad

JMac - sub 1:20 is not your goal, surely? If you ran 1:19:59 you wouldn't be happy. 2019, year of no sandbagging.

In the interest of holding myself to the same standard my aim for my Half on March 10th is a PR (<1:15:29). Feels a long way off right now.

My week

75 miles, 1x kettlebell class, Tue 15M w. 3x3k (@slightly <6 minute miles I think), Thu a bit of hill work, Sun 16 @ 6:54 average but a faster second half.

Good week, meant to go 21 miles steady today but didn't have time due to going to a gig last night and sleeping in.

Aim for next week - 2 big workouts and hold the distance. I thought I might try that 4,3,2,1 Daniels workout you were all talking about. Would you advise running it on flat terrain or just adjusting pace for lumps and bumps? I may also scale the distance to time,as was discussed, since that seems less daunting.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Finbad: Strong week and great long run to finish it off. I updated the table with your HM target; great to see you going for it.

Darkwave: I am doing the same thing with the pistols; gradually lowering the seat though I seem to have plateaued; perhaps I reached a point where my poor flexibility is now the limiter. No worries about the goals; I expect a lot of us will only have an idea of them once we get into the cycle and see how things are going.

My week: A hard session of 8 x 3 min Tuesday on the TM, a hilly run Friday and a long run today on the TM with a fast finish. We got hit with an ice/snow mix overnight so I knew I would have to mill the long run. I'm thinking to change my hill workout to shorter reps, maybe 2-3 minutes, at a quicker pace instead of slogging 1 or 2 x 1 mile uphill at 10 min pace.

Weekly Summary
                Monday, Jan 14, 2019 thru Sunday, Jan 20, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                Tue 10.0 7:11 TM: 8 x 3 min on, 2 min off; 4 x 20 sec hard 0 strava
                Wed 6.2 9:10 Morning Run 350 strava
                Thu 10.1 8:31 Morning Run 505 strava
                Fri 12.2 8:16 Afternoon Run with 1 x big-un hill 995 strava
                Sat 9.3 8:58 Trails in Sega Park 682 strava
                Sun 19.5 7:41 Long run on TM: 120 min easy + 30 min @ 6:27 0 strava
                  67.3 8:10   2532  

2:52:16 (2018)

Swim5599

Finbad love that goal.  I forgot how stinking fast you are good week.

Jt love the fartlek.  Things are coming around

66 this week with 3 decent sessions

mon 7 8:17

tue 8 with strides 8:15

wed 10 with 5x5:30 at threshold power (5:45)

thurs 7 8:18

fri 10 with 2x17:30 at just under M power (6:10)

sat 7 8:12

sun 18 as 12.75 E then 10x1:00 on at 5k power (5:14).  2:00 off

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

madisonrunner

Week 1 of my 12 week training cycle complete.  82 miles, 8 miles at MP on Thursday (5:53 pace).  It had been dry but we got about 4 inches of snow Friday night so I swapped my MP run from Saturday to Thursday.  It's going to be bitterly cold for a bit now and with the footing dicey I'll be heading inside for next week's LAT.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Aim for next week - 2 big workouts and hold the distance. I thought I might try that 4,3,2,1 Daniels workout you were all talking about. Would you advise running it on flat terrain or just adjusting pace for lumps and bumps? I may also scale the distance to time,as was discussed, since that seems less daunting.

Which workout is that?  My team does a 4-3-2-1 miles at marathon pace workout (1 mile recovery).

Cutting and pacing my week from the other thread:

My week: 58 miles, 7 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming:

M: Yoga and 8 miles very easy (8:40) under the Whitehurst
                      T: 11.5 miles, including 2 mile warm-up (not enough),  8 repeats of about .5 mile in length under the Whitehurst (3:09, 3:13, 3:01, 3:03, 2:58, 3:02, 3:00, 3:07), and 4 mile cooldown.  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                      W: 2.5 miles very easy (10:10), yoga, and another 8 miles very easy (8:48) plus drills/strides
                      Th: upper body weights/core and 7 "miles" pool-running.
                      F: 4 miles very easy (8:40) and DIY yoga at home.
                      Sa: 3 mile warm-up, 5K race in 19:27* (splits were 6:22/6:23/5:59 (plus 7 second pause) and 36 seconds., 4 mile cooldown.  Later 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                      Su: 14 miles - first 5 very easy (8:46), next 9 moderate (7:44).  Later did upper body weights/core.

Lotsa snow/ice around here during the first part of the week, so ran on the access road under the Whitehurst Freeway.  Saturday I hopped into a Park Run as a rust-buster.  Accidentally stopped at the wrong finish line, and then had to get going again to cross the real finish line - thus the discrepancy between my splits (paused watch at the first "finish") and my official time.

Race report is here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Laura

JT: As for the goals on front page you can add 1:20 for me for NYC, Boston is TBD. For NYC I'm hoping I can just find Jmac and ride his coattails as long as possible, I'm small so shouldn't even notice I"m there.

Fin: Great week, what do you do for recovery on the 3k repeats?

JT great week and thanks for always motivating me to want to do more hills. Your weekly e-gain always reminds me I need to be better about that. I think theres a place in training for the longer and shorter hill repeats. For me the longer slower ones are more mental but the physical battle of shorter harder ones is great power building too.

Madison: Great first week to kick off training with some bigger miles. Good on you for adjusting with weather and shuffling things around, tis the season!

Swim: awesome week with 3 quality runs - love that sunday style with longer "warmup" followed by the 1 min fartlek/intervals.

DW: nice week and kudos on the rust buster - pain about the dual finish lines but definitely done that before. What do you do for yoga usually? Classes? online videos when at home? I really like Jasyoga online subscription, reasonable and lots of different videos targeted for runners and athletes. Especially love the 5 min reset videos that target specific muscle groups/areas. Helpful in a pinch when need to do something.

I had a good week, biggest week for me in 3 years and honestly pretty close to my highest I think. Feel like I 100% could have done more which is a good feeling - but looking forward to down week next week...would rather take one now before I have to take one because I NEED one. A lot of mill miles this week but between schedule stuff, and then gettin hammered with snow this weekend (about 20 inches so far since Friday night). Glad I have a good machine in the basement I can rely on to get my miles in.

Mon:6 @ 8:44 recovery miles

Tues: 11.6 w/ 48 min at 6:19 avg (6 x 3 min @ 5:24-40/3 min @ 6:40-7:10)

Wed: 3.5 @ 8:41 late night recovery miles

Thurs: 10 @ 7:41 easy progression outside, could have run forever. + 20 min Kettlebell + Core

Fri: 7.2 @ 8:10 Slick side streets made for sore ankles in the snow

Sat: 14.7 total w/ 6 x 1 mile at T (6:07ish) (1-4% incline) + 10 x 40 sec @ 10.7-11.5mph

Sun: 18 @ 8:00 w/2-4% rolling hills on mill for 728ish feet gain

Total: 71 miles

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

finbad

Lela - great week, so good to finish feeling you could have done more. I also started to feel better as the week went on. I was doing roughly 3 minute jog recoveries on the 3k repeats, basically just jogged back to the start. They were meant to be 10k pace but were more like 10k effort.

Darkwave - The Daniels workout I'm talking about is the 4T, 4 minutes, 3T, 3 minutes, 2T, 2 minutes, 1T, all in an 18 mile run. (just typing it out is making me tired)

Madison - very exciting to see MP at 5:53. Wish we had a few others here with your ability to compare weeks.

Swim - really like doing 5k pace in a long run. Those power value/paces indicate you're pretty fit.

JT - just noticed you got that nice weekly mileage with a day off, very nice. Good looking long run too.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Andres1045

JMac - I'm with Finbad. 1:20 is weak. And more importantly, would likely indicate that a PR is questionable at Boston, much less the close to 2:40 goal. I get that it's smarter to see what comes as you get closer to the race, and you're coming off of an injury at the moment, but I'd think that if you treat it like a real race (not some harder than normal workout), you'd at least be in the low 1:18s, and that's assuming the course is ~30s harder than normal.

Finbad - As opposed to scaling to time, you could think about backing off the pace a bit.  What about doing it at GMP minus 10s or so? Also, I love the HM goal.  That would certainly require you to go for 2:40 if not lower at Boston if you got that!

JT - I'm still shocked each time I see a long run on the treadmill. I've only done a 19 miler on the treadmill once, and that was because it was August in Houston and I wanted to try to get 10@mp in.  That was one of the hardest things I've done in running, to date.  Great looking week!

Swim - Back to the good quality weeks! I like it. Do you plan to keep the mileage normal or so until it's time to start working towards CIM?

Madison - Any chance you'd be willing to put up your weeks? It would be cool to see how you structure them and for us to get a relative idea of what the easier days look like compared to the workouts.

DW - Great week! Good amount of high end speed stuff with both the 5k and the ~8x800 at 5kish.  Will you keep doing some shorter stuff until Cherry Blossom? I really wanted to try to do Cherry Blossom this year as it's on my 40th birthday. Didn't really get around to signing up though.

Lela - Geez, you really go after it on the weekends. Impressive stuff.

My week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Date Distance Pace Comment  

Mon Jan 14 

8:55 

Morning Run 

strava 

Tue Jan 15 

7:44 

5x4min, 1min recovery 

strava 

Wed Jan 16 

8:36 

Morning Run 

strava 

Fri Jan 18 

8:16 

Morning Run 

strava 

Sat Jan 19 

8:14 

Morning Run 

strava 

Sun Jan 20 

6:19 

Whatevs 

strava 
                            Summary:

7:42

I had the Houston half yesterday which end up being great weather. I was kind of disappointed about it, but as some mentioned on Strava, this is probably a good starting point (or as good as I should expect) for the year. I do think I'm finally able to absorb a more intense amount of training for the first time since March of 2016. So that's something to look forward to. Earlier in the week I was sure that anything under 1:24 would be great. But as I starting look closer at the weather, and felt good, I convinced myself that I could get under 1:22.  I still thought that was realistic until about mile 8 where things fell apart a bit. I tried my best to hold on, but time just kept slipping away. The good part about not having the ability to push fully for the entire half is that my legs feel totally fine today. Just feel like I did a workout yesterday.

Upcoming races: Boston

finbad

Finbad - As opposed to scaling to time, you could think about backing off the pace a bit.  What about doing it at GMP minus 10s or so? Also, I love the HM goal.  That would certainly require you to go for 2:40 if not lower at Boston if you got that!

That's a good idea too, I've always had a problem hitting textbook T pace in training. Not sure why but my workout T pace has never really matched up to my race times. Maybe I just don't suffer enough in the training, always a bit wary of going into 5th gear. Going to go for it tomorrow as I've got a free morning so I guess I'll find out then.

As you said in your writeup I think it's only the good conditions that are making your race result less satisfying. That's a decent time off of your training and a nice place to be if you're going to pick a Spring marathon to build for.

I'd forgotten you're going to be 40 this year too. Maybe we'll both become instantly wiser on these forums this year.

Laura

Lela - Geez, you really go after it on the weekends. Impressive stuff.

I had the Houston half yesterday which end up being great weather. I was kind of disappointed about it, but as some mentioned on Strava, this is probably a good starting point (or as good as I should expect) for the year. I do think I'm finally able to absorb a more intense amount of training for the first time since March of 2016. So that's something to look forward to. Earlier in the week I was sure that anything under 1:24 would be great. But as I starting look closer at the weather, and felt good, I convinced myself that I could get under 1:22.  I still thought that was realistic until about mile 8 where things fell apart a bit. I tried my best to hold on, but time just kept slipping away. The good part about not having the ability to push fully for the entire half is that my legs feel totally fine today. Just feel like I did a workout yesterday.

When you have cabin fever with a crazy storm hitting, it was all I could do not to run more..... What I really wanted/needed to do was put Hannah on there to burn off some of that pent up toddler energy being cooped up in the house for a few days. With that said though, I usually do get more in on weekends because of timing/scheduling. That and I really enjoy the workout sat with easy LR sunday..That's given me a lot of confidence running on tired legs.

1:23 yesterday was a solid start to the year - but I can understand the disappointment/frustration. It's an innate runner trait. I do think it's a great jumping off point and a great race still. Also, you can factor in some wind after 8ish there from what I heard. That 8-11 stretch looked like solid headwind, not crazy but certainly enough to be a factor. I saw lots of splits for the half that were similar, a bit faster with the tail earlier on and a bit slower with head later on. Glad the legs are feeling good though after the fact - now you can roll into the week and figuring out what you want next now that you have a baseline.

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}