2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

5/27/2019 Ridgewood Running    Cool Down 2.05 mi Distance 17:28 Time 9:20 min/mi Avg Pace
    5/27/2019 Ridgewood Running   Master's Mile 1.03 mi Distance 4:47.6 Time 4:40 min/mi Avg Pace
    5/27/2019 Ridgewood Running Ridgewood 5K 3.13 mi Distance 16:29 Time 5:18 min/mi Avg Pace
    5/27/2019 Ridgewood Running  1.45 mi Distance 16:27 Time 11:19 min/mi Avg Pace
    5/28/2019 Oyster Bay - CVT WorkOut  9.41 mi Distance 1:24:24 Time 8:58 min/mi Avg Pace
    5/30/2019 Oyster Bay Running  8.20 mi Distance 1:17:06 Time 9:24 min/mi Avg Pace
    5/31/2019 Oyster Bay - Monghetti  9.93 mi Distance 1:19:48 Time 8:02 min/mi Avg Pace
    6/1/2019 Oyster Bay Running  7.67 mi Distance 1:23:48 Time 10:55 min/mi Avg Pace
    6/2/2019 North Hempstead Running  3.37 mi Distance 30:52 Time 9:09 min/mi Avg Pace
    6/2/2019 North Hempstead Running  5.02 mi Distance 28:44 Time 5:44 min/mi Avg Pace
    6/2/2019 North Hempstead Running  2.29 mi Distance 24:07 Time 10:32 min/mi Avg Pace

Steve - I can't even be bothered this detail to prove how slow I run was killing me. I didn't feel like creating a spreadsheet today.

So had two great races on memorial day.  Mile in 4:37 and the 5k in 16:29. They were about an hour apart.

I suck at anything over a mile after a mile I shut down cease to work hang on and kick. I have to work on this. I watch the 50-54 distance classic Brad Barton and Shane Healy put on a clinic both broke Nolan Shaheed 4:25 World record. Brad ran 4:19.5 and Shane ran 4:22.

Freaking can't wait to be 50, its like they got new transmissions.

Darkwave I messed up forgot to submit my prize money application. Try to get into Falmouth thats where the real prize money is. you could place there and its a healthy pay even for 3rd master.

Andres, I am ready for Sean Wade  I can definitely beat him at 800M, mile will be close. I think 50 is a golden age for running look at  Mikey Moose Mug in 50s, Sean tried to set a 50 YO road mile world record. Brad and Shane are running amazing. Tracy Lokken won Boston Masters Marathon $10K purse as an almost 50 YO not to mention several times in his late 40's.

Kramrunner - Ha I did a Monapocalypse workout on Friday I blasted the On sections in sub 5 and tried to hang on to 6:30s for the off at the last 30 second I couldnt even handle it. Mona doesn't just take sometimes she kicks back in the nuts.  I love what this workout does for me its my summer staple and I said there is no wrong way to do her. by September my mile pace is ripping.

Madison Glad to hear I will be at CIM I suspect Swim will be as well as maybe a couple others. Maybe I could team up with you if I don't have to pace my Sub Elite Ladies squad.

JT Reeves glad you liked it 4-6 weeks of Mona and you'll PR or age grade PR. I can guarantee it. 4-6 weeks. It really helps in the last quarter of the mile. You'll run like Laura Muir. IAAF DL Did you see the Canadian Gabriella stafford almost pulled off an upset in women's 5K in Stockholm Sweden. Then Laura Muir dispatched competition. Its like she was paid by New Balance to lose West Minster mile.

Cinnamon  Glad you like the Mona as well. So add Mona to your weekly regimen she'll be the nutmeg to your cinnamon.

Where is JMAC on vacation?

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

steve_

powered by plants

Or new prescriptions.

I'm not sure why more people don't question Masters performances.  I don't think there is a bigger group of dopers in running than the 40 and above group.  I'm not saying that a 50something year old didn't legitimately run a 4:19 the other night, but there are a LOT of old (mostly white, present company excluded, lol) dudes out there dropping serious times and because they're not in their 20s running the 400 and under we don't ever question their performances.  Why is that?  Americans see an east or north African drop a huge time and everybody is suspicious.  However when suddenly we have 40+ year old women running OTQs it's all "you go girl".  In general, masters racers have more money and more access to pharmaceutical advantages than younger runners and are under WAY less scrutiny.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nimmals - I think Jmac is in Japan.

(and congrats on the races)

Or new prescriptions.

I'm not sure why more people don't question Masters performances.  I don't think there is a bigger group of dopers in running than the 40 and above group.  I'm not saying that a 50something year old didn't legitimately run a 4:19 the other night, but there are a LOT of old (mostly white, present company excluded, lol) dudes out there dropping serious times and because they're not in their 20s running the 400 and under we don't ever question their performances.  Why is that?  Americans see an east or north African drop a huge time and everybody is suspicious.  However when suddenly we have 40+ year old women running OTQs it's all "you go girl".  In general, masters racers have more money and more access to pharmaceutical advantages than younger runners and are under WAY less scrutiny.

I actually do think masters runners get scrutiny.  There have been Letsrun threads, and there have been busts (more in triathlon and cycling than in running).  But.. I also think that even more scrutiny is needed and deserved.

I also think that masters doping is of a different flavor than what we see at the elite level - less EPO, and more anti-aging stuff. Related to that, I think there are a lot of masters dopers who do not consider themselves to be dopers.  The mindset is that "if a doctor prescribes it, then I should be allowed to take it."  Which is BS.  As a 45 year old woman, it would be ridiculously easy for me to get prescribed medications with a small bit of HGH or testosterone.  And utterly wrong to take it and compete.

I will also note that the women's OTQ is much easier than the men's - so a 40 year old woman OTQing isn't quite that outrageous.  Where I get suspicious is when a woman with a long history of performances makes a ginormous breakthrough in a matter of months in her later 40s or older.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Or new prescriptions.

That's a really good point, I  have heard on Let'sRun people accuse top master runners of doping and they are sometimes called out. I heard about one of the 50YO I mentioned above. So last weekend I tried to ask about it and no one would discuss it with me they said Lets Run posters are jealous etc. I said so you never heard anything about that rumor and they said no. .

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Honestly, I'm not comfortable with the LetsRun practice of calling out specific runners by name in posts.  Just the lawyer in me.  It's a horrible accusation to make, even if you're certain it's true.

I don't mind general discussion of the topic (heck I participate in it all the time).  But I really believe that if one has a concern about a specific athlete, the proper approach is to submit a tip to USADA, and have them look into it - that does more to clean up the sport than internet chatter.

(again, no issue with general discussions of the topic, like this one - I think it's appropriate and increases awareness of the issue.)

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

weatherboy80

Hey folks, sorry been a bit AWOL the past few weeks due to work and some other things.  Thanks DW for keeping things rolling on here.

Kram: Great to see you back on here!  Hope the PF is doing ok?

Madison:  Think you have a great shot at 2:30!

JT:  Solid looking week and a great fartlek workout there.  Thanks to Nimmals for sharing that one!

Andres:  Strange result, but I would just mark it up as one of those weird days.

Steve:  Nice race!!

DW: Letsrun has some really good information, but I'm not about putting people down which seems to happen more often than not.  Most of us are just here to learn and improve on our hobby (and for most of the letsrun crowd it is also a hobby as well).

I had a decent summer mileage week with just one light tempo workout and mostly EZ mileage the other days.  Ended up tweaking my calf early last week by trying to jump over a low hanging chain fence, but stumbled and fell flat on my face - LOL!  Felt it for most of the week, rode the bike on Tuesday, but am fine now.  Then came down with a head cold late last week which sucks with the heat/humidity we have here.

Weekly Summary
              Monday, May 27, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 02, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Mon 12.1 7:32 Happy Memorial Day πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ strava
              Tue 26.2 3:18 Afternoon Ride strava
              Wed 8.2 7:34 Morning Run strava
              Thu 10.2 7:29 EZ + strides strava
              Fri 2.3 8:25 Warm up strava
              Fri 4.3 5:57 First structured workout in 3 weeks! 4 X 1 T’ish strava
              Fri 2.1 8:12 Melt down strava
              Sat 16.1 7:45 Longest since Boston with Ryan and Jonathon! strava
              Sun 7.2 7:41 πŸ”₯ 😎 strava

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

cinnamon girl

Captain: ragnars/relays can definitely be huge fun with the right people, otherwise it's a bad trip. RE: long run - aren't there water fountains around there? Or maybe try to remember to run with cash on long runs.

Kram: hope the PF holds up for the faster running. Maybe it'll help? I could go on and on about my two bouts of PF (separated by 7 years) but I won't unless asked.

Jayluf: going out in 1:27 low if goal was 2:53 in ideal doesn't sound like adjusting much for terrible conditions . . . (?) Anyways, hope recovery is going well.

JTReeves: nice solid looking base week there. Have fun at the mile!

Weatherboy: sounds like there could have been more damage than a tweaked calf - glad you're alright

70 mi

M: 12 mi (7:43) +strides
                T: 10 mi (7:48)
                W: off
                T: 11 mi w/4 mi (6:34)
                F: 12 mi (7:57) 
                S: 6 mi in AM (8:18) / 5 mi in PM (8:14)
                S: 14 mi (7:51)

Putting in the miles and getting used to the heat again.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Back from Japan now. DW - you may have seen over in sub 1:30, but I got myself a pair of Takumi Sen 5s when I was there. Totally made the trip worth it.

Generally this forum is most quiet in June and December.

I've been reading through but won't necessarily address all of the updates, but I will be more diligent now that I'm back!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ZZCaptainObvious

Cinnamon - there are, but it was too little, too late. I just wasn't really thinking about it until mile 7 or 8 at which point I was pretty much forestalling the inevitable. It's more a one-off than anything else; I'm usually okay with hydration. But running with cash is something that I should really do since I tend to run without a phone and it'd be good to have a backup just in case.

Weekly recap - first week over 50 since... the end of February? Huh.

Monday - 5 by 1K (4:02, 3:52, 3:50, 3:47, 3:46) since I haven't really remembered speed, I was very slow on the first one. 6.7 in total

Tuesday - 5.6 @ 7:47. Felt peppy and energetic since it wasn't raining (repeats 2 to 5 on Monday were moist).

Wednesday - 1.3 warmup, 6 @ 6:45-ish, 1.3 cooldown. Felt good, but need to get more acclimated to the pace and practice more hills.

Thursday - 5.6 @ 7:24. Was running late for a meeting, so rushed the run.

Friday - 9 @ 7:43 before getting on a plane to Boston.

Saturday - 9 @ slow in Framingham with my girlfriend. Ran three loops and was very relaxed.

Sunday - 6.7 @ slow, ditto above for the first four. Then ran hard for one extra loop.

Total - 51.2 miles.

It's been nice getting back into the swing of workouts.

kramrunner

Summer #03
                      M        -- -- --            URD  crazy PF after-effects
                      T        00 40 57        5.21   easy
                      W       00 58 29       8.03   easy 
                      Th      -- -- --            URD    tight, so took day off
                      F       01 14 01        9.27   easy
                      S       00 27 35        3.66   w/ surges
                      S       00 09 14        1.26   wu
                                01 23 24       13.1   DxA2 half marathon, 6:21 pace felt good, fade towards end
                                                     ====

I had to take the start of the week easy as my foot was still sore from last weekends PF flare. Things were back to normal, i.e., quasi chronic background PF. I had planned on running the Dextor-Ann Arbor HM on Sunday and waited until Sun morning to make a final call. Felt good so all system a go. I had no real plan and only a rough idea of doing something around 6:30 pace. That went out the window right from the off, with people zooming out, I pulled back at ~400-500m and the pace I settled in on was around 6:15, a little fast but it felt comfortable so I said wtf, lets go for it. Things went well all the way until mile 8, where after cresting basically the final on course hill, I transferred from 6:15 before the hill to 6:25 afterwards at the same effort... yay. I faded a little more in the final mile as but overall, very happy with this as I was mostly interested in some maintenance type M-pace work or faster. Job done... and a relatively speaking, happy foot.

Cinnamon: Hmmmm... let's see. I think a lot of it is related to tightness in my lower calf, so I'm showing them lots of love to that and also adding in some controlled heel drops. Got lots of tennis balls on hand for rolling my foot too. That has worked in the past, fingers crossed I'll be able to get over it. Any secret sauce tips appreciated. Really solid looking week from you!

Weatherboy: Nice job faceplanting! I'm falling to pieces and it's only hit 70F here so far... enjoy your soup.

Darkwave: I really disagree about outing runners etc. The entire drug testing regime is an utter joke. Unfortunately, only some of this is due to incompetence and corruption. There is a fundamental science issue at play here in that many of the substances being used are essentially undetectable, hence resorting to the use of the bio passport to place a limit on EPO usage in cycling and athletics. HGH is basically a lost cause and who knows what else people are on. The entire NSAID and related pain reliever space is basically unregulated and many many performance enhancing substances are simply not on the relevant WADA prohibited lists.

Regarding 5ks, your pace experimenting is interesting. I'm of the opinion that 5ks suck and regardless of if you PR or finish 10s away from it, the end is gonna hurt. Imho, that first km needs to already be uncomfortable and on pace, and the misery only increases from there. Got my first 5k of the summer up in a couple of weeks... gonna hurt. Btw, you're getting in some real consistent work this summer.

Steve/Slammin/Darkwave: The amount of TRT usage in the male space these days is crazy. The ads on local radio here are a steady mix of lawyers/CBD-pot/0-down cars/TRT. I can see it in the local PF where I do my TM running... and guns out weather has finally started too.

Slammin: I'm jealous of your ability to do so much fast stuff. I love the afterburn, I get from really hard running and that burning sesation in your throat from hovering in air. Unfortunately, some part of my legs almost inevitably fall apart when I try any R-pace stuff these days, so I have to be careful... meh.

Andres: I wouldn't worry too much about that 5k. I'd say you had some lingering dehydration from the virus as darkwave pointed out. Anytime, I try run fast in any form of poorly hydrated state my HR gets high way too quick. Great to see you back in the mood/health to get after some PRs.

JT: Solid week. Ya, it seems part of the price of running is some level of chronic bodily malfunction, bah!

Madison: Great stuff. You've certainly got the ability to do it, but the work required is hard, so I'm looking forward to tracking your progress. Good luck!

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

Swim5599

Summer #03
                        M        -- -- --            URD  crazy PF after-effects
                        T        00 40 57        5.21   easy
                        W       00 58 29       8.03   easy 
                        Th      -- -- --            URD    tight, so took day off
                        F       01 14 01        9.27   easy
                        S       00 27 35        3.66   w/ surges
                        S       00 09 14        1.26   wu
                                  01 23 24       13.1   DxA2 half marathon, 6:21 pace felt good, fade towards end
                                                       ====

I had to take the start of the week easy as my foot was still sore from last weekends PF flare. Things were back to normal, i.e., quasi chronic background PF. I had planned on running the Dextor-Ann Arbor HM on Sunday and waited until Sun morning to make a final call. Felt good so all system a go. I had no real plan and only a rough idea of doing something around 6:30 pace. That went out the window right from the off, with people zooming out, I pulled back at ~400-500m and the pace I settled in on was around 6:15, a little fast but it felt comfortable so I said wtf, lets go for it. Things went well all the way until mile 8, where after cresting basically the final on course hill, I transferred from 6:15 before the hill to 6:25 afterwards at the same effort... yay. I faded a little more in the final mile as but overall, very happy with this as I was mostly interested in some maintenance type M-pace work or faster. Job done... and a relatively speaking, happy foot.

Cinnamon: Hmmmm... let's see. I think a lot of it is related to tightness in my lower calf, so I'm showing them lots of love to that and also adding in some controlled heel drops. Got lots of tennis balls on hand for rolling my foot too. That has worked in the past, fingers crossed I'll be able to get over it. Any secret sauce tips appreciated. Really solid looking week from you!

Weatherboy: Nice job faceplanting! I'm falling to pieces and it's only hit 70F here so far... enjoy your soup.

Darkwave: I really disagree about outing runners etc. The entire drug testing regime is an utter joke. Unfortunately, only some of this is due to incompetence and corruption. There is a fundamental science issue at play here in that many of the substances being used are essentially undetectable, hence resorting to the use of the bio passport to place a limit on EPO usage in cycling and athletics. HGH is basically a lost cause and who knows what else people are on. The entire NSAID and related pain reliever space is basically unregulated and many many performance enhancing substances are simply not on the relevant WADA prohibited lists.

Regarding 5ks, your pace experimenting is interesting. I'm of the opinion that 5ks suck and regardless of if you PR or finish 10s away from it, the end is gonna hurt. Imho, that first km needs to already be uncomfortable and on pace, and the misery only increases from there. Got my first 5k of the summer up in a couple of weeks... gonna hurt. Btw, you're getting in some real consistent work this summer.

Steve/Slammin/Darkwave: The amount of TRT usage in the male space these days is crazy. The ads on local radio here are a steady mix of lawyers/CBD-pot/0-down cars/TRT. I can see it in the local PF where I do my TM running... and guns out weather has finally started too.

Slammin: I'm jealous of your ability to do so much fast stuff. I love the afterburn, I get from really hard running and that burning sesation in your throat from hovering in air. Unfortunately, some part of my legs almost inevitably fall apart when I try any R-pace stuff these days, so I have to be careful... meh.

Andres: I wouldn't worry too much about that 5k. I'd say you had some lingering dehydration from the virus as darkwave pointed out. Anytime, I try run fast in any form of poorly hydrated state my HR gets high way too quick. Great to see you back in the mood/health to get after some PRs.

JT: Solid week. Ya, it seems part of the price of running is some level of chronic bodily malfunction, bah!

Madison: Great stuff. You've certainly got the ability to do it, but the work required is hard, so I'm looking forward to tracking your progress. Good luck!

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Andres, I am ready for Sean Wade  I can definitely beat him at 800M, mile will be close. I think 50 is a golden age for running look at  Mikey Moose Mug in 50s, Sean tried to set a 50 YO road mile world record. Brad and Shane are running amazing. Tracy Lokken won Boston Masters Marathon $10K purse as an almost 50 YO not to mention several times in his late 40's.

Slammin - Big congrats on your mile and 5k races and thanks for explaining the Mona workout which I’ll definitely use during my next cycle. πŸ‘

As for 50 being the golden age....maybe golden for me simply because I didn’t actually start running until I was 42yo and still have fairly fresh running legs! Would I have won a Moose Mug if I wasn’t wearing Vaporfly 4% shoes? Probably not!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Do you mean outing runners who have NOT been caught? Or outing those who have?

I have no issue whatsoever with public shaming of those who have been caught.  But I really don't like public shaming based on suspicions for two reasons.  One reason is my general distaste for dragging a person through the mud based solely on an accusation; the second is that public calling out of suspicious performances can actually undermine USADA's work to catch these people.  Use of HGH, DHEA, testosterone can be caught, IF the subject isn't careful.   But...once that person has been called out, they're much more likely to be careful to cycle off of these things before racing (since, for non-elite athletes, competition is almost certainly the only time they will be tested).

Since you raised it, I am curious - what PEDs are not on the WADA lists?  I'm guessing you place NSAIDs in that category (and I agree to some extent, though the problem with banning them is that you'd then need to give TUEs to everyone taking a daily baby aspirin for heart/stroke concerns.  Anything else?  Caffeine?

Nimmals: Amazing 5k and mile times, you are super speedy. I did the Mona again yesterday but had to cut it short; I was having major stomach issues due to having lunch too soon prior to it and was burping like crazy. Taco Bell bean burritos don't taste as good the second time down   I did not see the recent Diamond League meet; for some reason it was not on Olympic channel and that is where I usually record them. I read about it though; Stafford had a great race with a new NR for Canada. Also read about the Muir race; she really crushed the field. Did you see Athing Mu ran the 6th fastest 800m in US HS history (2:01)? If she is coached well she could be #1 next year, she is only a junior and #1 time is 1:59. She could be a superstar but needs smart coaching the rest of HS and through college.

DW: Good perspective on the PED issue. I saw your posts on LRC on the topic and they were the most intelligent and reasonable in the thread. I guess I haven't thought much about it at the non-elite level, but would not be surprised if it is happening there as well. I get depressed when I think that potentially all of what happened at the elite level in the 90's could have been doped. Especially if my heroes Geb and Tergat were, but I personally really doubt it for them. They had such long careers, from being world class juniors to world class masters (at least in Geb's case), and I don't think that it would be possible to drug cheat for 20+ years and not get caught, or at least have rumors circulating, but for those two guys nothing ever surfaced. Daniel Komen, on the other hand, I could see as suspicious, since he was just a 2 year flash in the pan...

Weather: Ouch! That fall sounds bad but certainly could have been much worse. Hope you are recovering well from that and the cold.

Cinnamon: 70 miles on 6 days...I like it!  You're running strong. I'm also trying to get used to the warmer temps but we probably don;t have it as warm as you do.

JMac: Welcome back!

Captain: Nice buildup week.

Kram: That's a great effort in the half especially considering the foot issues.

Swim: You quoted Kram's post but nothing else was written... did you just want to emphasize everything he said?

2:52:16 (2018)

Andres1045

Kram - Great race for where you're at currently.  I somehow missed that this weekend on Strava, so I'm glad you put it up here.

Quote from Nimmals on 6/3/2019 at 11:26 AM:

I'm hoping this comment was thrown out there to try to bring back Cal, and get Mikkey all riled up again like what happened at the end of last year when Cal told Jmac "yeah, 2:45 is a pretty good time, but I would've destroyed it if I was running at your age instead of my age now being nearly dead with how old I am."  Except that Mikkey didn't really go all in.

Re Doping: It never really occurred to me that non-elites that appear to be racing totally for fun are out there cheating the system (I'm assuming they're not actually making a living off of these races???). While I certainly don't agree with it, I can understand how some of the professionals end up cheating, for example, if they're coming from absolute poverty and see it as a way to provide for their family (and to be absolutely clear, it's not like I would ever think that's ok, it's just I can see how someone would end up deciding to go down that road). But a guy out there doing this for fun? That's just bizarre.

And I'm with Darkwave. The idea of calling people out based on little more than suspicion doesn't sit well with me. But I also give it little thought nowadays. I was so burned by the whole Lance Armstrong thing. Growing up, I was a huge fan of the Tour de France, watching Pedro Delgado, Greg Lemond, and Miguel Indurain. I absolutely loved watching all of the Armstrong Tours, and believed him for way too long. So years later when I got in to running, knowing that there were plenty of doping allegations, I didn't bother to get all that attached to any of the runners or the professional side of the sport. I enjoy watching a few races, and like reading about records dropping, but if it comes out that someone is doping, I tend to not care that much since I'm not nearly as attached or invested in them as a fan as I was with all the Tour guys.

Upcoming races: Boston