2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Slammin - Please don’t keep modifying your posts unless it’s a spelling mistake. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Nimmals, I'm curious what your thoughts are on Daniel Komen. Dirty or an extreme talent that just lost interest in the sport? That 3000m WR will last a long, long time.

2:52:16 (2018)

Swim5599

Sorry for some reason I couldn't actually post on here.

Here's my week

Mon 7 8:15

Tue 10 with 8x20 sec hill reps.

Wed 7 8:17

Thurs 7 with strides 8:14

Fri 10 with 6x5:00 at threshold power 5:37

Sat 7 8:18

Sun 16 as 90 minutes easy then 10x1:00 on at 5:10 2:00 off

IMO no record on the books dirtier then FLO JOES 100 from the 88 games

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Swim - Doping is legal in sprints, getting caught is illegal. while she never got caught, the side effects caught up with her.

JT Reeves after all that talk on "Aden's  Dirty Dozen Dopers  guess who shows up in Rome looking like her old doped self of 2015. You have to watch the race. Laura made a critical error, I am sure she'll have her ass handed to her by Andy Young for that mistake.  I'm so mad at her but she is my girl so I forgive her, the Ethiopians out fox her.  Just watch, let me know if you see it.

Simpson shows why she is the most prolific Olympic \ World champion distance runner in American history.

Watch it let me know your thoughts.

I wonder what Coleman will tweet about Lyles.

As for Komen and Jelimo they accomplished more than they set out to, so sometimes its best to just walk away.

I do know both of them are behind the scenes developing Kenyan youth. Sammy had so much talent, I wish he had walked away. Instead I mourn his senseless death. I talk about him at least once a month its one of my most profound regrets, but the next closest thing to his talent is definitely Kipchoge.

How does a grown man (Lokken)  weigh 125 lbs @ 5'9" Are any of you guys that hungry skinny??

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Nimmals: I watched the meet last night; funny how we were just talking about Dibaba not doing anything since that WR and she beats Muir. Muir waited too long; she was catching Genzebe but ran out of distance. I love the expressions on Muir's face when she races, she really shows she is giving it everything, almost looks pissed off/angry.

Never heard of the guy who won the 5k; I thought Barega would easily win that race. I'm most excited to see what Kejelcha does in the 5000m this season. Could be something not seen since the Geb/Danny K. and Kenny B. eras.

I like the Coleman/Lyles rivalry; the sport needs that especially since Bolt is gone. That was a great race.

I really wish the South African guy who ran almost 43 flat in the 2016 Oly final would get healthy, would be awesome to see a sub 43 400m.

Simpson is a class act. I do think she should consider moving up to 5000m soon, her days in the 1500m are numbered now.

Komen has always fascinated me. I may be naive or overly optimistic but I think he may have been clean and was just an epic talent, a freak of nature. His running sub 8 min for 2 miles, twice, is amazing, even though his 3k WR is better in comparison (equal to about a 7:55).  Sammy Wanjiru was a similarly epic talent. He raced fearlessly, it's a shame he is gone.

5'9" and 125 is really skinny; I am 6'5" and weigh 165 now; in college I was 155 lbs which is approaching that level of gauntness 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals: I watched the meet last night; funny how we were just talking about Dibaba not doing anything since that WR and she beats Muir. Muir waited too long; she was catching Genzebe but ran out of distance. I love the expressions on Muir's face when she races, she really shows she is giving it everything, almost looks pissed off/angry.

Never heard of the guy who won the 5k; I thought Barega would easily win that race. I'm most excited to see what Kejelcha does in the 5000m this season. Could be something not seen since the Geb/Danny K. and Kenny B. eras.

I like the Coleman/Lyles rivalry; the sport needs that especially since Bolt is gone. That was a great race.

I really wish the South African guy who ran almost 43 flat in the 2016 Oly final would get healthy, would be awesome to see a sub 43 400m.

Simpson is a class act. I do think she should consider moving up to 5000m soon, her days in the 1500m are numbered now.

Komen has always fascinated me. I may be naive or overly optimistic but I think he may have been clean and was just an epic talent, a freak of nature. His running sub 8 min for 2 miles, twice, is amazing, even though his 3k WR is better in comparison (equal to about a 7:55).  Sammy Wanjiru was a similarly epic talent. He raced fearlessly, it's a shame he is gone.

5'9" and 125 is really skinny; I am 6'5" and weigh 165 now; in college I was 155 lbs which is approaching that level of gauntness 

Laura let Tsgay get between her and Dibaba when Dibaba created that gap she just had to play keep away since they have almost similar speeds. Dibaba caught Laura napping at 900m and exploited it. @ that level if you miss the surge its over then when Tsgay couldn't go with Dibaba she blocked Laura progress.  If you remember the Euros Indoor 3000m  it was a similar strategy with Elish doing tthe early pacing then Courtney and Muir teaming up on CoCo. That was very tactical I think Tsgay knew the strategy, they were talking at the start.

Id say Komen was clean its funny how they both disappeared Jelimo is the closest to the impossible 800m. I always thought Maria Mutola was an intersex too.

steve_

powered by plants

DW, your posts are as spot on as one can get.  Everything you've posted I give a +1

As far as the WRs go, I really doubt that any of them are truly clean.  I'd say that over the last decade, the women's 10000 and steeple are the most blatant.  Followed by the men's 100 and 200.  If the Jamaican dropoff of in the past 4 years doesn't tell you all you need to know about that nation's "training", I don't know what would.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

Swim5599

Pretty solid week 68 total

Mon 8 8:15

Tue 10 5x3:00 at 5k power 5:20

Wed 8 8:19

Thurs 8 8:17

Fri 10 with 6x5:00 at T power 5:42

Sat 8 8:15

Sun 16...Did this as 90 minutes easy during a super hilly trail half in st Louis then 10x1:00 on 5:15 2:00 off.  Crazy humid

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Swim: Nice week. I agree that Flo Jo was dirty. Too much improvement in too short a time.

Me: First week at 70 miles since last cycle. I raced a downhill road mile yesterday. I wasn't sure what to expect time-wise, but I thought I had a chance to break 5 given how downhill the course is. I ran the course, back and forth, in my warm-up and saw that the first quarter is really downhill, then it levels off for the middle half, and then at the end there is a big downhill again. The women raced first and I was jogging to the start when they came through the quarter; the leader was absolutely flying. She won in 4:22. I lined up towards the back of the pack for the start of the men's race so I wouldn't get caught up/trampled by faster runners. There was a short uphill from the start to the top of the first big hill, and then you can really fly down that hill. I don't know what my split was at the quarter; I wasn't even aware of it passing. In fact, at the half when a guy was calling out "17,18,19" I thought that was the quarter, and that I was going slow coming through in 1:17 or 1:18. Then the guy said "2:20" and I realized it was the half already and the pace was good. I honestly felt horrible at this point, but tried to convince myself it would be over soon enough. Right before the 3/4 point there is a slight uphill which really hurt, but once crested the rest is downhill to the finish. I remember looking at my watch around the start of the final downhill, and it was 0.85 miles and a time of about 4:04. I knew from this that I should get under 5, and I just had another 45-50 seconds of misery left. I picked it up as much as I could on the downhill. I stopped my watch and the time was 4:52.5. I had forgotten about that burning lungs/throat feeling you get from racing short distances like this! That lasted for much of the rest of the afternoon. They posted results initially with gun time only, for me it was 4:52.55. Later they posted the official results online and I was happy to see my net time was a couple seconds faster at 4:50.5, which made sense given how far back I started from the line. The winner of the men's race was 4:02. Overall it was a fun race. No way I could run that fast for a mile on the track; I think I may be in 5:10 shape now at best. This was kind of the 1-mile equivalent of St. George, Tuscon, or any of the other super downhill marathons.

Weekly Summary
                    Monday, Jun 03, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 09, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                    Tue 15.2 7:53 MLR w/ partial Monaghetti 690 strava
                    Wed 8.1 8:53 Morning Run 404 strava
                    Thu 10.1 8:29 Morning Run 506 strava
                    Fri 8.1 8:33 Morning Run 420 strava
                    Sat 2.5 7:38 Warm up #1 140 strava
                    Sat 0.5 7:52 Warm up #2 58 strava
                    Sat 1.0 4:53 Spring Street Mile: 4:50.5 0 strava
                    Sat 5.1 8:56 Cool down 351 strava
                    Sun 20.1 8:09 Long run 1383 strava
                      70.7 8:15   3952  

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Swim - I'd say that, with the humidity rolling in, summer is definitely here.  (and yes, Andres and Weather - I know that what I have in DC right now is nothing like what you have).

JTReeves - I'm impressed you could run a 20 the day after that mile.  Downhill miles are VERY hard on my body.  I raced a downhill mile about 2 years ago, and was sore for 5 days after.  I'm glad you had fun (and I'm sure running 4:50 was a large part of the fun).

My week:

61 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
                      M: yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running
                      T: 12 miles, including an 8K tempo on the track in 32:11 (splits of 6:27/6:26/6:29/6:30/6:19).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1200 yards recovery swimming.
                      W: 8 miles very easy (8:56), drills, strides, yoga, and 4 miles very easy (8:51)
                      Th: Upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running.
                      F: 12 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:24 (6:14/6:10) and 6:03; ~4:30 jogging recovery.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 1250 yards recovery swimming.
                      Sa: 4 miles very easy (8:48), then stopped and cheered at a race.  Then did 6 miles very easy (9:03), followed by drills/strides, upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga.
                      Su: 15 miles, including a workout of 3x3 miles at marathon pace-ish.  Averaged 6:42, 6:45, and 6:42 for the three sets; float recovery of a mile in 7:30-7:40 pace between each.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 550 yards recovery swimming.

Since I've been racing a lot of short stuff recently, and done little in the way of the 4-5 mile tempos that I thrive on, we swapped stuff around this week.  On Tuesday I did a tempo on the track while my teammates did 1200s - having them pop in and out of lane 1 as I tempoed made the workout mentally much easier for me since there was so much happening on the track.

Sunday's workout felt very good as well.  Probably slightly above true marathon effort, but still very controlled and I felt strong.  I'm feeling good for my half in 2 weeks.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

cinnamon girl

65 mi in 6 days with 1 double, 2 workouts + long run and 1 rest day
                        Workouts:
                        9.3 mi with 12 laps of straights and curves followed by 1600m (5:58)
                        9.2 mi with 1600m (5:44), 4 x 400m (1:19), 2k (7:31) with 400m slow jog rec.
                        16 mi (7:32)

Wish I could just lay on the couch the rest of the day and have a couple cold ones but off to work.

JTReeves: Nice week but hope you're not going to be too beat up! Just the 20 mi would be enough for me!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Enjoyed the discussion on “doping”. I can certainly see the justification: if you need treatment for a life condition, but enjoy running, how do you deal with it? I do like the idea DW espoused (can’t remember if it was here or LRC): races should allow you to declare yourself ineligible for money, but I imagine the amount of people who would volunteer that is minimal. I do think NYRR has done a good job being a trendsetter here, but in reality, they can only do it because of their massive budget. DW - as always, you are spot on with all of your posts.

JT - weekend combo was crazy, good job. I’ve been so hesitant to do long runs after short races, but after your work and seeing the discussion on here about long runs after 5Ks, I think I’ll try it more to get my mileage in this summer for Saturday races.

Cinammon - remind me what you do for a living, or at least type of environment you work in (manual labor, office, etc)

Swim - given we are both running CIM, I’ll be paying close attention to your training

Me - not much to report, slowly building back up with 32 miles this week after 10 days off for vacation. Will keep it all easy this week as I get back to 50+. Been focusing a lot on strengthening, I was doing some of that in a traditional ryokan in Japan, quite a surreal experience.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cinnamon girl

Swim: what are you doing in St Louis? I checked the results - congrats on 7th OA and 3rd AG for '90 minutes easy'. Looks like the Masters dominated that race. Nice performance from a workout 

JMac: sounds like a cool vacation! Welcome Back! Re: your question - I make a living (i.e. trying to pay for my kids college and their existence) as a pharmacist in an emergency room

Darkwave: sounds like a good call on passing on the 1200s

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Enjoyed the discussion on “doping”. I can certainly see the justification: if you need treatment for a life condition, but enjoy running, how do you deal with it? 

And that question is at the heart of this debate, I think.    The TUE process is technically the answer, but of course that's not practical for the masses - USADA doesn't want all that paperwork, and your average Team in Training participant is going to have very little interest in completing it.

USADA does have a "recreational TUE" - but frankly the language around that is very hard to follow and understand.  I'm a lawyer, and I struggle decipher is.

I do like the idea DW espoused (can’t remember if it was here or LRC): races should allow you to declare yourself ineligible for money, but I imagine the amount of people who would volunteer that is minimal.

It was on LRC.  Basically: every race should have competitors check one of two boxes - "competitor" or "participant."

If you check "competitor" then you are eligible for age group and overall awards, but also subject to all the restrictions - anti-doping, use of headphones, outside assistance.    If you check "participant" then you are not eligible for any awards, but can have your friends hand you water bottles, take your insulin or your medical marijuana without a TUE, listen to your music, etc.

A lot of people seem to agree with Jmac that few would select "participant" - I actually disagree.  I think that if you tied "participant" to the ability to wear headphones or get outside assistance, the back-of-the-packers would accept.

In any event, structuring it this way would make things clear and easy to enforce.  The current structure of international/national/non-national/recreational is very hard to understand, and not enforced consistently.  You need clear rules that are consistently enforced if you want people to comply with them.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Swim - Nice week. tell us about that workout\race.

DW - Nice work but 8K tempo????   hmmmmm

JT - Nice work in the mile we had a downhill mile recently too and I stayed away from it. IT's all downhill the whole way,  I'm so scared I'd destroy my foot but still curious as to what i could run.

Date  Activity   Run\Workout Distance  Time Pace  Link
                                6/9/2019 Bike   17mi Bike w/ Tara 14.7 mi 1:17:10 5:15
                                6/9/2019 Run   12mi 8mi easy 4mi Push 12.0 mi 1:36:59 8:04
                                6/8/2019 Run   16mi easy 16.5 mi 2:19:27 8:27
                                6/7/2019 Run   10mi Easy (evening) 10.2 mi 1:46:55 10:30
                                6/7/2019 Run   8 mi Easy (morning) 8.1 mi 1:13:49 9:11
                                6/6/2019 Run   4 mi Easy (evening) 4.0 mi 41:52 10:22
                                6/6/2019 Run   Mona Fartlek Thursday 10.9 mi 1:26:57 7:57
                                6/5/2019 Run   5.5 mi Easy (evening) 5.5 mi 56:09 10:09
                                6/5/2019 Run   10mi mi Easy (morning) 10.0 mi 1:22:44 8:15
                                6/4/2019 Run   2k Tuesdays 10.2 mi 1:26:46 8:33
                                6/3/2019 Run   HillSprint Mondays 6.4 mi 1:01:19 9:38