2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

If you nerds want to see a video of the downhill mile JT (and me) ran in it's here: Spring Street Mile 

The 1-2 finish (4:02.20 to 4:02.23) with an amazing kick to make it that close, is really something to see.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Thanks for posting the link Kevin; I was wondering when they'd put that up. It's really nice how they post the video every year. Great job by the way, you were flying.

Will had a fantastic last quarter; he was so close to winning.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hard to tell, but was the winner wearing Vaporflies for a road mile? If not, what shoes are those that look like VFs but are suited for a road mile?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

JT - Awesome race! I'm not sure I can get my legs to run quick enough to get under 5, even with the downhill assist. I'd love to try. But I don't think that there are any mile races around me.

Slammin - I'm 5'9" and about 158. I'm just starting back up a push to lose a bit of weight. Getting down to the low 150's though is about as much as I could possibly ask for. Beside my wife protesting beyond that, I don't think I could give up that much food or my normal beer to make that work. My diet is more or less okay, but I do eat a ton.

DW - I like the competitor/participant check box idea. I'm for people following rules in general, but some people do like to just go out there and run/have fun. If someone really wants to have headphones on, I'm not sure why they can't have that option, especially if they're no where close to winning. As kind of a side note, I partially witnessed a person going quite far out of their way this year to try and enforce some strict rules, even though it didn't seem like there was any basis to do so. At the Houston half this year I was running a few miles next to a girl that often wins a lot of local races. She was running the full. A friend of hers was running with her for a bit of it, and he had headphones in. Another participant came up to us and started telling the runner with headphones that he was cheating by having headphones. He also then turned to the girl and said she was cheating because he was pacing her (he very clearly wasn't) while wearing headphones. We kind of laughed at this guy as he took off. But I found out a few weeks later that the guy filed a formal complaint against both of them for "cheating" because she had a pacer that was wearing headphones.

My week:

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Jun 03, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 09, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
          Mon 6.0 8:24 Morning Run 138 (71%) strava
          Tue 6.9 8:22 Morning Run 137 (70%) strava
          Wed 6.0 7:27 Treadmill Tempo - because I wimped out over a little rain. 0 (0%) strava
          Thu 7.8 9:17 Hill sprints with Allen 132 (68%) strava
          Fri 11.8 8:03 Morning Run 144 (74%) strava
          Sat 5.2 9:14 Morning Run 129 (66%) strava
          Sun 6.0 8:26 Too Hot Morning Run 148 (76%) strava
            49.7 8:25

First time I've posted my mileage in a while, but I hope to keep it up through the summer and then the start of getting ready for the Houston Marathon. I was happy with the mileage, and would like to keep it here or maybe a little higher for the whole summer. I did kinda wreck my legs a bit, doing heavy weights on Tuesday, faster miles Wednesday, and then hill sprints Thursday. I'm back to feeling normal now with a bunch of super easy miles. My big goal for the summer is not to repeat last year. I remember in late August last year I finally decided to start working towards NYC. I set out to run 12 miles at 8 minutes per mile. I got 11 miles in, and was essentially walking at that point. I can't let that happen this year! I think if I can keep up the mileage, I'll be ready to stay focused for a good cycle and do something decent in Houston. It's been over two years now since I've run a good marathon. I need to fix that.

Upcoming races: Boston

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Andres and JT here is an article describing the kid who won JTs mile "

The 5-foot -10, 120- pound junior raced to the New England Prep School Track Association championship this past season with a time of 15:42. Did he look emaciated. not to me. i went to college at 5'9 115- graduated at 5'9.5 135. i tried everything to gain weight got up to 155. Then when I wasn't trying boy did it come on quick, I ballooned to 205lbs at my heaviest I guess I grew denser bones because I can't break 150 barrier.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

weatherboy80

JT:  Just an awesome race you had - well done!  You've  come a long way over the past year!  Kevin for posting that link too (that's quite the downhill and would be a lot of fun to try).  I've never raced a mile myself so it would be neat to try.  Don't think a mile time trial would be good test since I wouldn't have anyone faster to chase after or set the pace.  Nice big LR the day after as well.

Andres:  Very solid week.  Looks like a solid plan for the summer as well.

Slammin and Andres: I'm pretty tall and skinny myself at 6'3" and usually weigh about 172 or so.  Don't weigh me after a humid run though Wink

Darkwave:  Very nice looking week. Big tempo workout as well!  Yes my humidity is at full force.  We even had a few mornings where the dew point hit 80 beachside!  Welcome to summer Smile

JMac:  welcome back and kudos for sticking to the plan of no running during that time!

Nimmals:  Very nice week!

Cinammon: Nice 65 mile week.  Seems like a great mileage to be at especially with a day off!

After about a month of somewhat lower mileage brought it back up into the low 70's last week.  Fought off a head cold for much of the earlier part of week which sucked with our heat, but generally felt better when running.  Ran what I consider two lighter workouts with some 400's on Wednesday and then split up a 20 minute tempo into two 10 minute sessions on Sunday.  Could tell about 5 minutes into each rep that I overran the tempo a bit (due to the heat) as my heart rate quickly spiked.  Plan for most of my summer will be to keep my mileage (with a few down weeks for vacation etc ...) in this range with many of the workouts no bigger than these.

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Jun 03, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 09, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Mon 10.2 7:43 Humidity and a head cold are a wonderful combo 🤢 strava
              Mon 4.2 7:45 Afternoon Run strava
              Tue 10.0 7:45 Breathing through a straw + strides strava
              Wed 3.1 8:04 Warm up? strava
              Wed 5.0 6:51 10 X 400R strava
              Wed 2.1 8:41 Melt down strava
              Thu 8.1 8:20 Wickham Trails strava
              Fri 15.2 7:37 Friday LR strava
              Sat 5.2 8:11 Recovery miles strava
              Sun 3.1 7:36 Warm up + strides strava
              Sun 3.5 5:51 2 X 10min T strava
              Sun 2.6 7:33 Cool down strava
                72.3 7:42

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Andres - Wow, unbelievable that someone would complain about that and imo a very sad and pathetic person. I’m a big music person and wear headphones in a lot of races and it doesn’t give any advantage....it’s just personal preference.

JT - Congrats on the mile race....when I first saw the time on Strava I thought it was amazing, but now that you’ve said it was downhill....well it’s still amazing in my book! I don’t think I’ve ever seen my Garmin pace at faster than 5:30.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

kramrunner

Summer #04
                  M      00 41 33     5.21  
                  T       00 58 26     7.14       w/ 6x longer hills
                  W      00 57 48     7.0         tm w/ 2.5wu + 3x1k, 3x200 + 1.5cd, 0.5%... hot HR high quickly, rec: ~120s/90s, 11mph, 11.5-11.7mph
                  Th       -- -- --        URD      laziness Sad
                  F       01 10 21      9.17
                  S       01 16 29      9.7        tm w/ 3wu + 3x1.25@5:52 + 3x400 + cd, 0.5%, rec: <120s, <90s 400s@11.4/.5/.6mph
                  S       01 12 03      9.28  
                                               ====

Happy with my week. Took it a little easy on Wed after the HM last week. The T pace stuff on Sat was interesting as my body was not at all happy with going for longer than 3-4mins. Hopefully this will all come back around as I get back to consistent mileage and work.

The doping discussion... professional sport is so dirty. As a teenager of the 90s, I have the precious memories of Sonia O'Sullivan being robbed by doped to the gills Chinese. The TdF visiting Ireland and then the whole thing being shown to be doped to the gills. The Juventus team who were doped to the gills... and of course Irelands golden olympic girl who urinated whiskey when the testers came a calling a few years later, imagine that! Of course, Lance was busted around this time and it was buried, fortunately some tenacious local reporters got on the job, so I spent so long hating that cheating piece of work until it finally all came falling down.

In recent yrs, all the leaks showing how dirty the entirety of athletics is. Paula obviously just trained very hard and Sir Mo, why it's hardly his fault that his non friend Aden is doping central... and hey presto, just like Froomey, that mid career explosion to world class status. All that hard work. Over here, NBA/MLB/NFL all doped left, right and center. Nike fully endorsing convicted dopers. The Russians are dirty cheaters, but not us and the reason the Brits dominated the 2012 Olympics was for love of queen and country. Muir... I hope, and her clear pain when running hard and failure to always win is reassuring.

JT: Great mile, getting under 5 is nothing to be sneezed at. Got to be happy hitting 20 in the middle of the summer too.

Weather & Jmac: Good to see you guys back at it.

DW: Nice week. That MP work in the long run looks great. I love those 5k repeats as part of a long run. It really allows you to start doing proper MP far out from marathon day.

Cinnamon: Yup, foot mashing does work. I have a bar bell that I use which gets right in there. The bar is great for the sorest spot and then the bell has the right curve to get into a large part of my arch. Tendon/ligament injuries are so counterintuitive! Great week, hitting all the
                  important pieces of the puzzle.

Swim: Much like cinnamon, nice job in hitting all of the energy systems. You're putting in a lot of quality work, how are you holding up niggle wise?

Mikkey: Hope you've put on a lb or 3 drinking heartily from your new mug.

Andres: Solid week. You'll see huge gains from simple consistency this cycle. Fingers crossed all that injury bs is in the rear-view.

Nimmals: Super week as is usual.

And anyone not paying attention, go to letsrun and see the Gabe Grunewald thread. Heartbreaking stuff.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

cinnamon girl

Andres - Wow, unbelievable that someone would complain about that and imo a very sad and pathetic person. I’m a big music person and wear headphones in a lot of races and it doesn’t give any advantage....it’s just personal preference.

+1. And Andres - it is unfortunate how time flies by. But it sounds like you're ready to get after it again. Steady and consistent . . .

Weatherboy: nice mileage and solid week. 2 x 10 min sounds fine (until we realize it's only 2 x 1.x miles and then we're like WTF!) but that's exactly why I like to do it by time sometimes. Take a break from pace and distance and switch to effort and time - especially in the heat (or when out of shape! )

Kram: good to hear sounds like you have a torture device.

And yes, re: Gabe.    Cancer sucks. Dying too young, when one has so much life in them, sucks.

Really sad news about Gabe. Rest in peace.

DW: I'm continually amazed at the quality you pack into a week, nice job. BTW, you were right about the soreness post downhill mile: I had DOMS that set in with a vengeance but not until almost 48 hours post race, thus I was tricked into thinking I had no soreness on Sunday.

Cinnamon: Nice week again and I like the creativity of those track workouts. It's good to mix things up there. Do you start out with a workout in mind or just play it by ear as you go? I often have something in mind when I start but modify it mid workout.

JMac: Good to see you back and good idea to focus on the strength work especially if you are going to focus on shorter stuff.

Nimmals: Nice big week, over 90 miles. I forget, are you doing any marathons before CIM? I would like to see what you would have done at the mile race; first master was a 4:22 which you could do if you are running 4:30s for a flat mile.

Andres: Good to see you posting your week, and good attitude as well. Just keep the increases gradual and you should be able to stick with it.

Weather: Nice week with some good speed and tempo work. I think that will be a good pattern to follow for the hot summer you will be having.

Mikkey: Congrats on the Moose Mug; it looks great and I'm sure a beer tastes pretty good from it!

Kram: Smart week back after the half. BTW, who was Ireland's golden Olympic girl that urinated whiskey??

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Congrats on the Moose Mug; it looks great and I'm sure a beer tastes pretty good from it!

Kram: Smart week back after the half. BTW, who was Ireland's golden Olympic girl that urinated whiskey??

That would make a great tabloid headline!  I assume its the swimmer Michelle Smith and think her sample was tampered with alcohol to disguise whatever illegal stuff she was taking. I don’t think she actually pissed Whiskey...but you never know.

Thanks JT, the Mug is actually quite heavy, so I’ll only bring it out for special occasions. 😀

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

kramrunner

That would make a great tabloid headline!  I assume its the swimmer Michelle Smith and think her sample was tampered with alcohol to disguise whatever illegal stuff she was taking. I don’t think she actually pissed Whiskey...but you never know.

Thanks JT, the Mug is actually quite heavy, so I’ll only bring it out for special occasions. 😀

Yup, that's the girl. She never actually tested positive, but was done for allegedly tampering with her sample (she's a lawyer now!). I believe the alcohol concentration was described as being enough to kill a horse or some such  Tester followed her all the way to the bathroom too, so having that bottle allegedly taped to the cistern is not just a trick for the alcoholics in our midst. Her husband at the time was a convicted doper and she suddenly improved upon meeting up with him. It was so obvious they were even asking the other swimmers for their thoughts during the olympic press conferences and I believe one american girl (Janet Evans per wiki) pretty much called her out... heady days!

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

Swim5599

Pretty blah week

Mon 7 8:15

Tue 8 with what was supposed to be 8x20 sec hill reps.  I pulled my right groin something fierce on the fourth one and then had to walk home.  Shame because I felt great prior to that

Wed URD

Thurs 2 9:00

Fri 3 8:40

Sat 5 8:17

Sun 10 8:15

Leg is much better but I get annoyed with stuff like that

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

M_M_C

Hello everyone, its been a while. I've been semi-lurking the group, but a lot has happened and I kind of lost track of everything. Looked at upcoming races and its a little quiet! I'm surprised no one is racing Falmouth in August, thought that'd be a popular race in here.

My focus has shifted away from studying (though I am currently taking a pre-req course online) and I am finally back to focusing on running. I told myself once I hit 80 mi/week I would try to be more active in here; ended up doing it a little quicker than I had expected to. Following Boston, I have been off, 27, 27.5, 24.3, 12.8, 31.9, 53.1, 65, 80.1 (have not run more than 80 in 2 years). My focus in the coming months is going to be running more mileage and pushing my limits. Its easy to say now, but I do want to see if I can get to 95 some point this summer.

Race wise, I am racing the Firecracker 4 miler in Saratoga Springs, NY on July 4. The goal is 22 minutes. I ran 20:48 there 3 years ago; its a super cool race. Tentatively, I will be running The Beantown Marathon again in September. Right now I am split on pacing my GF for the 1st half and racing the 2nd half (she's never run one before), or going for a sub 2:45 to get a Berlin Q for 2020.

Anyone got any big summer plans?

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

Swim: Sorry to hear about the groin strain but looks like you're back on track now.

MMC: That's a great build-up in mileage.  You're very experienced so probably are aware, but be careful to let the body adjust to it; plenty of examples of big increases in mileage in a short time which led to stress fractures. That said, if you can safely get your mileage to that level you could see some huge improvements I'm sure. I put you on the table for Beantown.  You, Lela and I will be kicking off the fall marathons since Erie is the same day.

A decent week for me. I had some serious DOMS from the mile race early in the week. For today's long run I felt great; the easy miles were clicking off at low 7s, and even though this run was on pavement and that speeds things up a bit (most of my runs are on dirt roads), this was much more than usual. The MP section at the end also went quicker than planned (was targeting 6:25-6:30) but I decided to just roll with it.

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Jun 10, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 16, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                                Tue 10.1 8:21 Morning Run 516 strava
                                Wed 1.4 9:17 Missing early miles 100 strava
                                Wed 10.7 7:26 Morning Run w/ 4 mile tempo (6:14 avg) 533 strava
                                Thu 10.1 8:19 Morning Run 506 strava
                                Fri 12.2 7:53 Morning Run 660 strava
                                Sat 8.5 9:02 Trails in Sega Park 605 strava
                                Sun 20.0 6:55 Long run: 12 easy + 8 @ 6:22 avg 701 strava
                                  73.0 7:51   3621