2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

MMC - it's been quiet because nobody could top references to peeing alcohol!  Good to see you here and I hope you'll remain.  Nimmals had mentioned Falmouth to me, but it just doesn't work - it's a long way to travel and would require at least 2 nights away from home for me, and I've already set aside all my planned vacation/race days at work through November.  I agree with JTReeves' observation about the risks of bumping up mileage fast.  And also agree with his assessment that you likely already know the risks and are accounting for them.

Swim - I'm glad the groin issue appears to have passed quickly - sometimes those things can linger.

JTReeves - I am NOT surprised about the DOMS Smile.  That was a Rockstar run this morning.

I am amused that there is a marathon called Beantown, and it's not just a euphemism for Boston.

My week: I ran a 5K yesterday as a confidence boost/final perk-me-up before my half.  Ran 19:37 on a very long course - my best guess is that it was the equivalent of another 18:5x, but who knows for sure.  I did get what I wanted, which was a controlled strong race effort that boosted my confidence and left something in the tank for next Saturday.  Race report is here.

42 miles, 14 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming

M: yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running
    T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2K and then 4x800 - splits were 7:44, 2:56, 2:56, 2:54, 2:51. ~4:30 recovery after the 2K; ~2:20 recovery after the 800s. Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
    W: 7 miles very easy (8:58), drills, strides, DIY yoga.
    Th: Upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" pool-running.
    F: 4 miles very easy (8:44) and DIY yoga
    Sa: 3 mile warm-up, "5K" race in 19:37 (course was significantly long - my best guess is about 200m extra), 3 mile cool-down. Later did injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
    Su: 10 miles very easy (8:43), and then upper body weights and core.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

MMC - be very careful with that mileage build up, that is quite extreme. You’ll hear a lot of stories here about people who have done that and run themselves into the ground.

DW - how does one run a 5K to keep something in the tank next weekend? Feels like the race isn’t long enough to really hurt you, plus I’m not sure what pace would be a good “leave something in the tank.”

JT - No idea how you are going to do the majority of the difficult marathon work in July/August. I’m so excited that CIM means I can avoid the worst of it.

Me - not much to report, continue to build up with 50 miles this week. Looking to get to 60+ next week. Still all easy, it’s getting quite boring to the point where i am not enjoying any run, but I know I just need to get through this period before all the fun 5K training starts. I tried to rush this in my Boston build up and paid for it.

Also, TDPs finally cracked 140 here. We’ve had quite a beautiful spring, with some days getting to 80 but dew points never getting above 55. Guess it was nice while it lasted.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - how does one run a 5K to keep something in the tank next weekend? Feels like the race isn’t long enough to really hurt you, plus I’m not sure what pace would be a good “leave something in the tank.”

Remember, I don't run by pace, but by feel, so it's not a matter of picking a pace.  It's a matter of how deep does one dig.  And in my experience, there is a range in race effort of just how deeply one digs, and one can only hit the "truly at the edge" point a few times a year, regardless of distance.  And...when you do hit that "edge" point, it takes a while to bounce back and be ready to go that deep again.  (when I race to that point, I always feel like I have goosebumps and am shaky for a few days after, if that makes sense.)

Two years ago, I ran my 5K PR, which was a very deep dig.  That was the week before I ran the Garry Bjorklund Half - in that half, I just had nothing left when it came time to really fight in the last mile, instead letting a woman pass me so she could tow me in.   Other times, I've raced a 5K the week before the half, but just did what I needed to do to win and lay down a decent time - that's been followed with a solid performance in the half a week later.  It's just enough to prime me, but not enough to fry me.  I'm hoping that pattern adheres here.

I'd also argue that "the race isn't long enough to really hurt you" isn't quite the case, at least in my experience - would you race a 5K all out the week before a marathon?  I wouldn't.  And I wouldn't race a mile either.  It's just that a half is short enough that you don't need quite the reserves of a marathon, so it's OK if your tank isn't totally full.

JT - No idea how you are going to do the majority of the difficult marathon work in July/August. I’m so excited that CIM means I can avoid the worst of it.

Me - not much to report, continue to build up with 50 miles this week. Looking to get to 60+ next week. Still all easy, it’s getting quite boring to the point where i am not enjoying any run, but I know I just need to get through this period before all the fun 5K training starts. I tried to rush this in my Boston build up and paid for it.

Also, TDPs finally cracked 140 here. We’ve had quite a beautiful spring, with some days getting to 80 but dew points never getting above 55. Guess it was nice while it lasted.

The one downside of CIM - you're tapering over Thanksgiving - that sucks.

Yup - Humidity has kicked in for us also, though we've had some reprieve.  This has been a surprisingly nice spring, though.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DW: That's frustrating about the long 5k course. That seems to be the standard in CT; courses are either way long or way short, but rarely 3.11 or 3.12 miles, even though many of the courses are certified. It's one reason I like the track for shorter distances; accurate on the distance and also no hills 

JMac: I don't think this cycle will be terribly different from my usual fall cycle; Erie is early Sept, whereas I usually do an early Oct. race. Shifting things 1 month earlier means the core of the training is June/July/August, versus the usual of July/August/Sept. Either way I have to deal with July and August, and have a milder month in there, only it is on the front end now as opposed to the back end.

Nice steady build in mileage. But are you really "bored to the point of not enjoying any run"? I love just running easy so this is hard for me to imagine.

2:52:16 (2018)

M_M_C

I understand the risk, but now that I am not part of a team I won't feel like I am letting the team down by getting injured so I care a little less. I think I will be fine if I don't hammer easy runs and keep my workouts tame. Any further build will need to be done carefully.

One of my friends decided he wanted to run a 200 mi week post graduation (he normally runs 110-120 a week) and messed up his knee 117 miles in (day 4), so I totally get that jumps in mileage can be bad news.

MMC - be very careful with that mileage build up, that is quite extreme. You’ll hear a lot of stories here about people who have done that and run themselves into the ground.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - I hate running every day without some sort of structure. When you're running even 2 workouts per week, you're either a) looking forward to the next workout and/or b) recovering from the last workout. When it's just easy running, I feel lost, because each run has no purpose besides just building up. I like easy runs after workouts because I feel like I'm reaping the rewards of my last workout. I actually find very slow recovery runs within 12 hours of a workout to be some of the most satisfying runs. But when you're only running easy runs, it just feels like you're getting out there for the sake of it. Until I start workouts, I am dreading running.

Also, if you're looking for something to add to the race calendar, please add the following 5Ks for me, which are my summer schedule. Goals are sort of placeholders, as you know any morning in July or August can throw those goals out when it's TDP of 150 at 8 am.

6/29: Breathe for Britt 5K; Goal = 17:29

7/21: Heart & Sole 5K; Goal = 16:59

8/17: Hope Runs Here 5K; Goal = 16:29

DW - I always felt that going to the well mattered more the longer the race is. I'm surprised you feel that way about 5Ks. I guess V02 max workouts, which 5Ks effectively are, take a long time to reap the benefits, but I don't think they take super long to recover from. I would think you can recover quickly enough to run a 5K the week before the marathon, not that I would.

MMC - that's one approach to take, although I think really running any workouts during a serious mileage build is asking for trouble. But it sounds like you know what the risks are.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JT - I hate running every day without some sort of structure. When you're running even 2 workouts per week, you're either a) looking forward to the next workout and/or b) recovering from the last workout. When it's just easy running, I feel lost, because each run has no purpose besides just building up.

This is me as well - I don't mind a week or two of easy running as part of a return after time off, but I need variety, personally.

DW - I always felt that going to the well mattered more the longer the race is. I'm surprised you feel that way about 5Ks. I guess V02 max workouts, which 5Ks effectively are, take a long time to reap the benefits, but I don't think they take super long to recover from. I would think you can recover quickly enough to run a 5K the week before the marathon, not that I would.

I think different people have different recovery profiles - McMillan has some good stuff in his book about how some athletes recover better from speed stuff, and others recover better from stamina stuff.    I find 5K races (including this one) to be much more taxing than an interval workout, and in turn I find I need more recovery and to be more careful about interval workouts than some.  To that point, I have an interval workout tomorrow, but it will be a cautious one - doing enough to keep myself perky, but not enough to take something away that I want to save for the race.

But yes, anytime I've gone truly deeply to the bottom of the well it takes something out of me that takes a while to replenish.

Again, we're all different, though.

ZZCaptainObvious

Good luck at Garry Bjorklund, darkwave!

Last two week update from me:

Off, Easy 5.6, Interval 6.6 (4 by 1200 @ 6 min miles around a flat park), Super Easy 8.3, Off, Tempo 10.8 (7 mi @ 6:41 - little quicker than intended, but bike path and pancake flat), Long 15.4

Easy 5.9, Interval 8.2 (4-8-12-16-12-8-4 @ sub 6 pace), Easy 5.8, Easy 3.5, Tempo 10.4 (7 mi @ 6:53 - but with hills) AND Blood Donation, Off, Long 16.5 (and I didn't bonk!)

Also, I'm going to be that guy wearing Boston livery shoes because they were on sale this afternoon. This brings me up to six pairs of the Boston Boosts.

Andres1045

DW - Total bummer about the 5k. It still baffles me how these things happen so often. And I get what you're saying about being drained when going all out. For me, it also has to be that I'm: 1. in shape; and 2. trained for that particular effort level. But if those two things line up, a race effort takes a lot out of me, for sure. A big part for me is mental, too. After I've had a big race effort that I've been obsessed over for a while, I need some time to chill out and not worry so much about going 100% again.

JT - Your winter is so brutal, is it easier training in the heat? Or is it still better running in say December as opposed to July?

JMac - Doesn't a run that's just a little unstructured and a bit faster satisfy that urge to get in a good effort? I hear what you're saying constantly holding back, but I normally find that just picking up the pace once or twice a week for half to 3/4 of the run usually is enough for me to not just get totally frustrated. And it usually doesn't harm my regular build either.

Me - So after deciding I'm ready to fully focus again, I then went and played soccer. Seems like I do this twice a year or so. I play one game, and then I'm totally out of whack. My right leg just feels like it's being held on by tape, and it fell off Wednesday after playing soccer. I ended up having to call it early because my leg wasn't cooperating. I couldn't even sleep that night the pain was so much. I took Thursday off, tried to run Friday but went home after 2 miles, then took the weekend off. Still not working fully this morning, but it's definitely getting better. I'll try again tomorrow. I guess I should stop trying to play, but I enjoy it a lot.

Upcoming races: Boston

JT - Your winter is so brutal, is it easier training in the heat? Or is it still better running in say December as opposed to July?

I guess there are pros and cons to each. In the winters you don't have to deal with heat & humidity, but you have darkness in the morning for most of the run and need to use a headlamp, and wear tons of clothing. In the summer you have the downside of heat/humidity but the positives of it being light out by 5 AM (or even earlier now) and being able to wear shorts/T-shirt. I personally feel I get a much better training effect from a summer cycle, probably due to the heat. Even if the workouts have been great in a winter cycle, you lack that heat training effect and if your spring marathon is on the warm side, you just aren't as well prepared as you'd be coming out of a summer cycle.

That stinks about the soccer injury.  It's great exercise but with a lot of explosive running and lateral movement can be risky. Maybe you just need to warm up a bit before playing?

JMac: I like the 5k race plans and goals. I added them to the table.

Everyone: If there's a race you want on the table just let me know and I'll add it.

Captain:  Long run 2 days after giving blood?  I'm impressed!

Nimmals: What do you think of the women's 1500 from Rabat? I was happy to see Sifan get a PR; would have been happier if she beat Dibaba. Too bad Muir wasn't in that race.

2:52:16 (2018)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Date ▼ Activity Course Type Distance Duration Pace Actions
                        6/10/2019

Hillsprints for Gabe #BraveLikeGabe

Bike Path Workout 6.3 mi 1:01:24 9:49

6/11/2019

@gg_runs #bravelikegabe 7.5 mi

4x 1k w/ 2x 400m

Bike Path Workout 7.1 mi 1:09:45 9:51

6/12/2019

@gg_runs #bravelikegabe

Bike Path Run 5.1 mi 51:00:00 9:59

6/12/2019

@gg_runs #bravelikegabe 5.5 & It breaks my 💜 💔

Bike Path Run 5.6 mi 51:28:00 9:12

6/13/2019

@gg_runs #bravelikegabe

Beck's Burn bracketed MP Run
                        Track Workout 8.7 mi 1:17:34 8:58

6/14/2019

#BraveLikeGabe Run

NYC Runs #Bravelikegabe Run in Central Park
                        Central Park Run 4.3 mi 50:10:00 11:37

6/15/2019 Shelter island 10k 35:49  Roads Race 6.3 mi 50:23:00 7:58

6/15/2019 Warm Up  Roads Run 1.6 mi 20:51 13:27

6/15/2019 Cool down  Roads Run 1.6 mi 14:42 9:15

6/15/2019 Bolla 5k  15:59  Park Race 3.1 mi 16:16 5:15

6/15/2019 Warm Up  Roads Run 1.6 mi 16:50 10:39

6/16/2019 12 Mi easy Long run  SUNY Run 12.2 mi 1:39:12 8:07

Did a run in Central park for Gabe, if you haven't done so yet please donate $25 to the #BraveLikeGabe Foundation.

JT Reeves Didn't get to watch Rabat meet I watched Oslo and Boston Adidas Games. will check out race i dont think my DVR recorded so I'll set it to capture a repeat.

Dark Wave when I told people I train and race by feel I was the villain in RWOL sub3 that was such a foreign concept .I didn't use a watch back then. I still train by feel my watch is my pen for logging mileage. Hence my slow ass training if I want to warm up at 10:30 then 10:30 it is NFG. M other bad word was "mental toughness"  ooooh I said a bad word.

Swim Why are you doing 20 seconds if you haven't done them on a consistent basis. Start with 4-6x 8-10 seconds add one or two each week till you get to where you want to be. then go 14 then 20 seconds. Build everything slowly and it wont bite you. Be the honeybadger build your venom tolerance slowly.   Hill sprints are devotional they're not a temporal thing you cant just pull them out your ass and go all out . Wait actually you can and you did butt your ass  will pay.   I'm sure your ass and groin hurt you the rest of the week?? Two of my girls just started and I got more as hurt text messages yesterday on my day off than I expected.  I told them 6 to start. Guess out of guilt they did 10. Then later ask why  didn't I stop them. I said there's a lesson there. Looks like you young Padawan is learning the same lesson.     Hill sprints are devotional and sacred not temporal. Ignore me I'm running on no sleep.

Anyway I broke 16 finally in my 40s last time I broke 16 was almost 9 years ago.  Last 5 years I've been so close 16:01, 16:02, 16:03, , 16:04,  16:05 you get the picture anyway just got under.  I was super happy.  went home showered off to a second race Shelter Island 10k where I was running on fumes the last three miles.

Heading up to Boston to battle the BAA girls who have been kicking my butt in the 5k and 10K. When you're a sub par male that's what your racing life comes down to, battling girls to minimize your Chickedness. The only Girl I like being chicked by is Jenn Rhines.

Did a run in Central park for Gabe, if you haven't done so yet please donate $25 to the #BraveLikeGabe Foundation.

Thank you!

That's my week.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I can’t believe anyone would think running by feel is a bad idea. The only time I think it is is during the first quarter of a race, as you can blow up if you don’t realize how easy certain paces should feel when fully tapered, especially marathon pace. I feel like I’m running easy pace during miles 3-9 during a marathon, so the watch is good to keep you in check. Otherwise, running by feel is a must, especially during summer months.

Speaking of the summer, I prefer this SO much more than winter. Look, I hate the humidity as much as the next person (as seen by my constant TDP complaining), but I’m just getting out for my run now and it’s 8 PM and still light outside. I will take that over pitch black at 5:30 PM and 25 degrees with 20 mph winds any day of the freakin week.

weatherboy80

JMac: Come run with me for a few weeks down here between June and October and get back to me about the humidity Wink  Joking aside I would probably take this over the sustained cold having grown up in western NY and now living in Florida.  Just have to learn to live with the fact that you can't run fast in the heat and then adjust from there.  BTW, like the smart build up so far and like those goals!

DW:  Sucks about that 5K course being long.  I've run a few 5K's that have been long locally.   Really demoralizing to hit 3.2 via the GPS and still not be at the finish line!  BTW, you are probably one of best on here at running by feel.

JT:  Amazing amount of work you have been putting in!  I'll let you know what my next race will be soon.  Just found out that the marathon I was targeting got moved back until early January (was supposed to be in mid December) which should give me a bit of reprieve from marathon training in September when the humidity is through the roof.  Still would like to target a half mid cycle as well.

Swim: Glad the groin issue is behaving!

Andres: sucks about the leg.  I would probably be the same if I tried to go back to playing hockey right now.

Nimmals: Nice looking week!  Like those blazing 5K times as well!

Me: Pretty big week mileage wise considering it being summer.  Just about all the mileage was on the EZ side with the exception of some uphill sprints on Wednesday, and a 20+ minute tempo (last mile was certainly harder though) on Saturday where I used a free 5K to run the workout.  Ended up actually winning the race after taking the lead at mile 2.5 where some young kids fell apart in the heat and I was able ot speed up a bit so that was nice.  Kind of like this schedule of running some faster but short reps mid week and doing a short tempo session towards the weekend for a bit.  I'm like Jmac in that a bunch of EZ mileage gets pretty boring.  Will be up in my hometown for a few days next week and looking forward to some cooler weather!

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Jun 10, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 16, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description Link
                            Mon 10.2 7:31 Cloud cover makes a huge difference! strava
                            Mon 5.2 7:35 A snake and lots of bugs on this run 🤢 🐍 🐜 strava
                            Tue 10.3 7:48 EZ + strides strava
                            Wed 12.1 7:31 EZ Bridge repeats + 10 uphill strides strava
                            Wed 4.0 7:24 Unplanned progression back home 🌩 strava
                            Thu 8.2 7:54 Afternoon Run strava
                            Fri 8.4 7:42 EZ w/ Ryan + strides strava
                            Fri 0.8 8:26 Watch fail strava
                            Sat 4.0 8:09 Warm up + strides strava
                            Sat 3.8 5:44 21 min T’ish 🌞 🌧 strava
                            Sat 7.4 8:01 Long cool down strava
                            Sun 6.3 7:45 Happy Father’s Day!! strava
                              80.7 7:38  

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

kramrunner

Summer #05
                              M      00 40 05      5.21  
                              T       01 07 22      8.50 tm w/ 2.5wu + 5x1k@11mph + 5x200@11.7mph + cd, 0.5% rec: 90-120s walk, 60-90s walk
                              W      00 48 41      6.14  
                              Th      -- -- --          URD - hammering rain morn & evening
                              F       01 01 15      8.26 
                              S       00 20 52      2.64 wu & cd
                                       00 17 32      5k - 3rd OA
                                       00 38 49      10k - 4th OA
                              S       01 11 40       9.27     
                                                            ====

5k - Went out too hard w/ first half mile in 5:15 pace. I eased off and settled in at ~5:30 pace but the damage was done. I started hurting around 1.5miles and I knew I was done by 2miles, so I held on from there. The last mile wasn't helped by going on trail/light gravel and the 3 ahead also slowed and I caught one of them along here also. Not exactly how I wanted things to go, but hopefully the lessons will be well learnt: (i) don't start like an idiot, (ii) no trail/gravel/hills etc, (iii) continuing improved fitness will allow me to get under 17mins sometime this summer. I did a 10k ~10mins after finishing and knew to be sensible, so I just treated this as a tempo run. This felt good and imho 5k's are relatively easy to recover from as in total this didn't feel any worse than some of the marathon long runs with quality. I've done 5/5/5/6/6hrs over the past month and the goal is to also increase volume and get up to 7-8hrs prior to my autumn marathon program start.

Nimmals: Awesome week and congrats on still having it. Hope that hurt just right! Super solid 10k after too.

JT: Imho, can't beat having daylight for runs. Though it really builds mental toughness dragging yourself out of bed in the winter darkness as that sucks bigly. Dibaba... powered by "hard" training. You are starting off this cycle real early and in great shape. Gotta be happy with that LR.

Andres: Shit, heal up. I actually started running as a thing from mildly tearing my rotator cuff after falling playing soccer and I basically gave up soccer a few yrs later because I got sick of getting out of bed in the morning and my feet/ankles killing me. That high intensity twisting/turning and smashing through a ball made bits of my feet but I can pound out endless miles with comparatively minimal problems... bah! I do miss it so much at times though, nothing like a good competitive game.

DW: With a proper cooldown, I don't think you should need any more than a few days easy to recover from a 5k... maybe a week if you've really pushed super hard. We're all broken in different ways though! Solid 5k from you. I always try to only run at races done by people I know are reliable. At least it wasn't a goal race. Another solid week overall!

JMAC: Fartleks and strides. I think that you can have a day where you start building in some hill sprints. You're experienced enough now to know how to keep the base phase easy.

Swim: Argh...bloody groin! Just make sue to catch it if you cough or sneeze and it'll hopefully heal right-up. So easy to irritate it again in random ways though.

Weather: Great week. Hopefully those easier weeks will pay you back in spades towards year end. Love the amount of wildlife you have to deal with lol!

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

Swim5599

Date ▼ Activity Course Type Distance Duration Pace Actions
                                6/10/2019

Hillsprints for Gabe #BraveLikeGabe

Bike Path Workout 6.3 mi 1:01:24 9:49

6/11/2019

@gg_runs #bravelikegabe 7.5 mi

4x 1k w/ 2x 400m

Bike Path Workout 7.1 mi 1:09:45 9:51

6/12/2019

@gg_runs #bravelikegabe

Bike Path Run 5.1 mi 51:00:00 9:59

6/12/2019

@gg_runs #bravelikegabe 5.5 & It breaks my 💜 💔

Bike Path Run 5.6 mi 51:28:00 9:12

6/13/2019

@gg_runs #bravelikegabe

Beck's Burn bracketed MP Run
                                Track Workout 8.7 mi 1:17:34 8:58

6/14/2019

#BraveLikeGabe Run

NYC Runs #Bravelikegabe Run in Central Park
                                Central Park Run 4.3 mi 50:10:00 11:37

6/15/2019 Shelter island 10k 35:49  Roads Race 6.3 mi 50:23:00 7:58

6/15/2019 Warm Up  Roads Run 1.6 mi 20:51 13:27

6/15/2019 Cool down  Roads Run 1.6 mi 14:42 9:15

6/15/2019 Bolla 5k  15:59  Park Race 3.1 mi 16:16 5:15

6/15/2019 Warm Up  Roads Run 1.6 mi 16:50 10:39

6/16/2019 12 Mi easy Long run  SUNY Run 12.2 mi 1:39:12 8:07

JT Reeves Didn't get to watch Rabat meet I watched Oslo and Boston Adidas Games. will check out race i dont think my DVR recorded so I'll set it to capture a repeat.

Dark Wave when I told people I train and race by feel I was the villain in RWOL sub3 that was such a foreign concept .I didn't use a watch back then. I still train by feel my watch is my pen for logging mileage. Hence my slow ass training if I want to warm up at 10:30 then 10:30 it is NFG. M other bad word was "mental toughness"  ooooh I said a bad word.

Swim Why are you doing 20 seconds if you haven't done them on a consistent basis. Start with 4-6x 8-10 seconds add one or two each week till you get to where you want to be. then go 14 then 20 seconds. Build everything slowly and it wont bite you. Be the honeybadger build your venom tolerance slowly.   Hill sprints are devotional they're not a temporal thing you cant just pull them out your ass and go all out . Wait actually you can and you did butt your ass  will pay.   I'm sure your ass and groin hurt you the rest of the week?? Two of my girls just started and I got more as hurt text messages yesterday on my day off than I expected.  I told them 6 to start. Guess out of guilt they did 10. Then later ask why  didn't I stop them. I said there's a lesson there. Looks like you young Padawan is learning the same lesson.     Hill sprints are devotional and sacred not temporal. Ignore me I'm running on no sleep.

Anyway I broke 16 finally in my 40s last time I broke 16 was almost 9 years ago.  Last 5 years I've been so close 16:01, 16:02, 16:03, , 16:04,  16:05 you get the picture anyway just got under.  I was super happy.  went home showered off to a second race Shelter Island 10k where I was running on fumes the last three miles.

Heading up to Boston to battle the BAA girls who have been kicking my butt in the 5k and 10K. When you're a sub par male that's what your racing life comes down to, battling girls to minimize your Chickedness. The only Girl I like being chicked by is Jenn Rhines.

Thank you!

That's my week.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04