2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Andres1045

Andres - after some reflection, what's your long term plan for soccer?

Oh, I'm definitely never playing that sport again. Until next summer, at least. Or maybe next month.

Upcoming races: Boston

Cinnamon: Nice week; that Squires long run looks tough as is, but that it was in 87 deg heat?!  Looks like you are in the same brutal summer weather group as Andres and Weather.

Jayluf: Nice week! Does SLR stand for steady or slow long run? At 6:50 pace it ain't slow!

JMac: The humid summer weather is definitely here. I still think you will have a big PR in your 5k though. You are the king of lowering expectations pre-race but after all the great ones you've run the last year or so, we know to ignore that kind of talk from you 

Nimmals: Still a great 10k time in my book; maybe you have just had a few too many hard workouts as Cinnamon suggested and need to recharge a bit. I did notice that Rabat had a lot of D-listers in some of the races. That 5000m was one example; I never saw the guy who won it before. The announcer said "Wow!! he clocked at 58 second last lap!!!"; meanwhile the big guns get down to 51 or 52 for the last lap of a 5000m. I like Josh Cox as an announcer; he is/was a runner and understands the sport. But that other clown (the one blown away with the 58 sec last lap) should be put back on World's strongest man or whatever he was commentating before they moved him to track and field.

Andres: Glad to hear your injury is getting better.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - I definitely can sandbag goals, but the lack of speed training, the heat, and 10 days off gives me some credibility! Also, I think a 16:29 by end of the summer is a good goal for me. If I start hitting better times in these first 2 races, maybe I'll just adjust that down to 15:59 to make you happy

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ZZCaptainObvious

June 17th to June 23rd: 6.5 easy, 4.3 easy (after 10+ hr day), 6 (3 by mile workout @ 6 flat), 4.5 Easy (but bad), 8 Easy, 6.3 Failed Tempo (got 1.7 and gave in - was at the right pace, but didn't have the mental wherewithal), 6.2 super easy for a somewhat lackluster 41.7.

JMAc, I love easy running. That might be why I don't have the sub 3 yet though...

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Oh, I'm definitely never playing that sport again. Until next summer, at least. Or maybe next month.

You’ve been watching too much of the Women’s World Cup and getting all excited. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

cinnamon girl

DW: I assume you ran in the 4%? Not sure how many races you've done in them but maybe they are getting wore out - like some of the bounce is gone or whatever makes them fast and would account for the 60 sec or so you thought your race time was off by. Maybe a new pair is in order for your next race. I'm not sure how folks know they're wore out. I can tell my 1400s are done because my knees start hurting.

JT: thanks! That squires run is a nice sneaky way to get in a long run. It's basically mile repeats (or 0.96 mi in my case  ) but with an extended w/u and c/d from usual 15-20 min to 35 min, then voila you got 17 miles.

jayluf

JT - SLR = Saturday Long Run or Sunday Long Run  I've always wanted to do the New Haven 20k; not sure if I mentioned I'm from CT as well. Timing just tough with it being actually on Labor Day.

Jayluf: Nice week! Does SLR stand for steady or slow long run? At 6:50 pace it ain't slow!

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Cinnamon you may have been correct. Normally I do the Burn Bracket MP as a taper workout on Thursday. Because the race was a Sunday I figured I'd be fully recovered. Guess its taking longer to fill up the energy tank these last few years of aging.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: I assume you ran in the 4%? Not sure how many races you've done in them but maybe they are getting wore out - like some of the bounce is gone or whatever makes them fast and would account for the 60 sec or so you thought your race time was off by. Maybe a new pair is in order for your next race. I'm not sure how folks know they're wore out. I can tell my 1400s are done because my knees start hurting.

Yes, I run in the 4%, but this pair was relatively new - 50 miles on them.  (I set my half marathon PR in my previous pair, which had over 150 miles on them by that point...).  So...shoes not a factor.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

weatherboy80

DW: great race effort irregardless.  Some days we just don't have it!

Nimmals: great 10K!

JT:  looks like some great marathon training going on!

Andres: glad the injury is behaving.

JMac: looking forward to your upcoming 5K.

ZZ: Nice week.

Oh and yes I'm really interested in trying out the 4% for my next half or full.

For the rest looks like quite a bit activity in here since last week, but will have to catch up later on my reading since I just returned from a quick trip up north for a few days.  Was quite enjoyable to run in low humidity again!  Even got in a nice unplanned workout with temps in the 50's on Saturday Smile   On the flip side my area of Florida hit a heat index of 111 yesterday Sad

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Jun 17, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 23, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                      Mon 8.3 7:38 1:03 AM miles strava
                      Mon 6.2 7:47 0:48 Chatting with Steven strava
                      Tue 10.5 7:33 1:19 EZ + strides + ☕️ strava
                      Wed 3.0 8:29 0:25 Warm up strava
                      Wed 5.2 6:09 0:31 2T + 1T + 800i + 400R + 2X200R + 100R strava
                      Wed 2.2 8:22 0:18 Melt down strava
                      Thu 4.1 8:01 0:32 Morning Run strava
                      Thu 8.3 8:24 1:09 Wickham Park trails 🥵 strava
                      Fri 6.3 7:27 0:46 Off to some cooler weather for a few days! strava
                      Sat 14.2 6:37 1:34 Had to wear a warm up jacket: 3E + 8M + 3.2 hills strava
                      Sun 8.2 7:32 1:02 Erie Canal trail at 56 degrees 🙂 strava
                      Sun 2.3 15:06 0:34 Post winery walk with Tricia strava
                        78.8 7:42 10:07    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

cinnamon girl

Cinnamon you may have been correct. Normally I do the Burn Bracket MP as a taper workout on Thursday. Because the race was a Sunday I figured I'd be fully recovered. Guess its taking longer to fill up the energy tank these last few years of aging.

I had never heard of that one before and had to google it (I love new ideas for workouts). Interesting short workout. I'm not sure I would pick this as my last workout 8-10 days out before a marathon as the search result I got suggested but I could see doing it earlier in the week of a 10k as you say.  Thanks for another idea.

ZZCaptainObvious

Y'know, I managed to go something like two years without getting caught in a thunderstorm while running and now it's happened twice this week. And both runs have been pretty good, which is a little odd.

But I'm also ready for it to be less humid than usual for a bit. Nothing like the Florida folks, but bleh.

Weather: It must have been nice getting up north for some cooler temps, and also a shock once you got back to FL!

Nimmals: Excited about the Pre Classic this afternoon? The women's 3k looks incredible; Dibaba, Sifan, Ayana, KoKo, Obiri, and more. I'm rooting for Sifan as usual. Also the 1500 looks like it will be a great race with Muir being the favorite in my opinion. I wish Kejelcha was running the 2 mile but he should have a good shot at winning the mile.

This week had a lot of good heat training; I'm still getting used to the temps and the humidity. HR was way too high on a MLR I did Thursday right around noon, even though I was feeling pretty good. I need to start paying attention to HR more on easy days now that the summer weather is here.

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Jun 24, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 30, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                            Tue 12.1 6:53 3 x 2 mi, 0.5 mi recovery (12:11, 12:05, 12:03) 456 strava
                            Wed 8.1 8:30 Morning Run 417 strava
                            Thu 13.2 7:49 Lunch Run 696 strava
                            Fri 6.4 8:46 Morning Run 350 strava
                            Fri 6.2 9:10 Easy trail run 519 strava
                            Sat 6.2 8:41 More trails in Sega Park 204 strava
                            Sun 20.1 7:57 Long run 980 strava
                              72.3 8:03   3622  

2:52:16 (2018)

M_M_C

Tough week for me. Knot in my glute tanked my mileage for the week. I thought it’d be something I could reduce my mileage slightly and handle, but was wrong. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), I’ve had the same thing happen a few times before so I know what to do to take care of it. Took a two days completely off with lot of gluteus mediums lax ball soft tissue work and managed a painless 50 minutes today. Will prob be somewhere over 70 next week if everything holds up.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

Swim5599

JT good looking week.

MMC good luck with glute issues.  Those can be a massive pain

My week 69 total with a 4 day trip back to Chicago and some oppressive running conditions.

Mon 8 8:15

Tue 10 with 5x3:00 at 5k power (5:20)

Wed 8 8:17

Thurs 8 with strides 7:50

Fri 10 with 6x5:30 at T power (5:30)

Sat 8 7:40

Sun as 85 minutes easy then 10x1:00 on 5:15 2:00 off

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04