5k Race Strategy for an up and back course that is down hill than uphill. (Read 62 times)

Running a 5k on Sunday on a course that is down hill for the first 1.5 miles than back uphill for 1.5 miles before finishing on a flat track. Was wondering what the best way to attack a course like that. The hills aren't really super steep. It is more of just like a steady slow 1.5 mile incline. It's also a fairly large 5k meaning at least 700 participants.

I guess my question would be is it better to run a more controlled or a more aggressive first mile on a course like that?

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

I did a 3.5M trail race that was like that. First mile mostly downhill with some very steep sections, a flat mile loop around a small lake, and then back up to the start.  I had the advantage of doing it three weeks in a row as part of a series they were doing, and managed to take off over a minute in 14 days by changing strategy.

The key was letting go of standard race strategy of not starting too fast and aiming for negative splits.  Instead, I focused on even effort.  I started way too fast, basically at my 800 pace.  Which was doable because I was losing so much elevation.  And accepted I'd be walking back up the really steep hills and so doing well to average tempo pace the last mile.

Your hills aren't as extreme, but I'd go with the same effort focused strategy and be ok with the pace slowing a bit.

MoBramExam

My vote is to "run a more controlled" first mile.  Be honest with yourself that your effort on the downhill is your true 5K race pace effort.  Let gravity dictate the pace.

Error to the aggressive side, or error to the slow side, your finish time will suffer.  Run it perfect, or slight error to the fast side, should maximize result.  Enjoy the challenge.

My vote is to "run a more controlled" first mile.  Be honest with yourself that your effort on the downhill is your true 5K race pace effort.  Let gravity dictate the pace.

Error to the aggressive side, or error to the slow side, your finish time will suffer.  Run it perfect, or slight error to the fast side, should maximize result.  Enjoy the challenge.

This seems like a solid strategy. Going to go with it and hope for the best.

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.