Horrifying Story Re: Runner and Dogs (Read 285 times)

Mysecondnewname

http://www.freep.com/article/20140825/NEWS06/308250025/jogger-Sytsma-Metamora-dog-mauling

What is especially terrible is that according to the article, the neighbors knew about the danger and reported it, but not much was apparently done by the authorities.

CT JEFF

So sad.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Feeling the growl again

OK, this one strikes a chord with me.  Both as the near-victim or a recent vicious dog attack but more importantly because I am from the same general area of Michigan and know local people who have information not widely publicized.

1)  The owners are illegal immigrants from eastern Europe who were supposed to be deported years ago.

2)  I have family in the immediate area.  When the owner was once asked if his animals were aggressive, his reply was "all of my animals are aggressive.  I train them that way."  These animals had a long history of aggression on which no effective action was taken even though it was reported to authorities.

No worries, these vicious dogs had a litter of pups and they are being saved for adoption like there is no risk that there is any "nature" in the nature vs nurture argument, and the adopters will likely not be advised that the parents killed someone.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

beat

Break on through

It's a terrible story.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

jicama

Did we win?

So, I'm not crazy for carrying pepper spray and a gun when I run?  Or, am I?  I can't figure it out.  The odds are so small...

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

So, I'm not crazy for carrying pepper spray and a gun when I run?  Or, am I?  I can't figure it out.  The odds are so small...

I've thought about running with a machete. That would not only work with attacking dogs, but the hostile geese in the spring.

EpiRunr

I feel awful for this man's children.  I agree with Spaniel - those pups should not be adopted out.  Yes, you can train out bad behaviours, but these pups have spent time with the parents, and have likely learned enough to cause a lot of damage.

I've thought about running with a machete. That would not only work with attacking dogs, but the hostile geese in the spring.

No kidding on the geese thing...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/goose-attack-leaves-ottawa-cyclist-shaken-and-scarred-1.2686751

robin from maine

http://www.freep.com/article/20140825/NEWS06/308250025/jogger-Sytsma-Metamora-dog-mauling

What is especially terrible is that according to the article, the neighbors knew about the danger and reported it, but not much was apparently done by the authorities.

This is appalling, and scary, too.

There is a dog in the neighborhood who is repeatedly loose, likes to chase/harass runners, and seems to be escalating. When he chased me early August the owner was there but couldn't get him under control. Two weeks later he ran out and knocked me down; no sign of the owner. To be fair to him, he didn't nip or bite, but when he knocked me down I reported to the animal control officer.

Turns out  he's unlicensed. The owners were summonsed and have a court date.