IE 8 Upload (Read 1049 times)

Brant

Hi, I just upgraded my browser from IE7 to IE8. First, my Forerunner 305 was not detected so I had to install the Garmin Plug in again. That went fine. My Forerunner was then detected. Now when I try to import, it just stays at 0% and doesn't do a thing. Running XP Pro Forerunner 305 w/2.80 v software IE 8 Any ideas? I have not done a hard reset on the Forerunner yet. I kind of wanted to try (I was thinking that the reset wiped the history?) and get the stored run on my log without wiping out the history. Thanks, Brant BTW-just for fun (I'm impatient Big grin), I tried to import the run into my SporTracks software. I used to use this software before being able to import my GPS stuff right into my RunningAhead log. Anyway, it imported just fine into SportTracks, so I'm guessing that there is no problem with my Forerunner.
    eric :)

Brant, You can safely do a hard reset on your Garmin without losing your data. You also need to do it to get around this problem. SporTracks has the advantage of having direct access to your Garmin. RA on the other hand depends on the software provided by Garmin due to web browser security restrictions. I'm confident that the Garmin Communicator software is buggy and is choking on bad data on your Garmin and that results in the observed freezing. Until I create a desk top plugin to extract the data directly, you'll have to do a hard reset every so often.
      Brant

Eric, Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, even a hard reset and wiping the all of my data did not work (no big deal, I can type that single run in my log like I used to.) Any other ideas as to why this may be happening? Thanks again, Brant

The only other variable is IE8. It could be that the Garmin Communicator software is not completely compatible with it. I can't verify that claim right now because I'm away from my computers. If you have FF installed, you can try with FF and see what happens.

Just Happy to Run

Eric, In case this helps: FF currently just sits at 0% right now and does nothing more. IE 8 doesn't do anything past detecting the gps. Chrome says "control not installed". All three browsers pass the test site at garmin: http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/
            Jason

2010 Goals
            • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles
            Brant

Yeah, I tried with Chrome too. It still doesn't work. I have not tried with Firefox, and yes, the test thing from Garmin says it is okay. -Brant

The "testing" at Garmin merely indicates if it can detect your Forerunner. It doesn't do any of the data download stuff, which is where the problem is. What version of the plugin do you have?

Just Happy to Run

I just downloaded it today. Version 2.7.1.0
                  Jason

2010 Goals
                  • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles
                  Brant

My plugin version is 2.7.1. I have been using the site, so I had the plugin (probably previous version) installed. When I first tried my import today though, it said I did not have the plugin installed, so I just clicked to install it again. After that, my Forerunner was detected just fine, so I thought things were okay. As mentioned before, it just hangs at 0% though and does not import anything. Thanks, Brant

Just Happy to Run

I just noticed that Version 2.7.1.0 is new as of the 12th (this last Tuesday). Probably some change in it there that doesn't play well with RA...
                      Jason

2010 Goals
                        I think there's an incompatibility with the new garmin plugin. I was forced to load the new plugin to send some data to my nuvi, and after that I get the 0% thing. I think the new plugin is 2.7.1 (not sure), and the old one was 2.6.x I see the same behavior on chrome (which worked before) and IE 7 MTA: in the meantime what I am doing is exporting the log entry from training center, then uploading to RA using the file upload mechanism. There's an error that the file may be in teh wrong format, but it seems to work.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

ymmv

You might be able to find the original .tcx file from when you uploaded the data. That would let you skip exporting it from GTC. I know where they stash the files on a MAC but not on a PC.

Hi guys, I won't be able to investigate this for a couple of days. It could be that the 2.7.1.0 pluggin changed the data format on me and so the importer ignores the data. eric :-)
                              I've got the same problem too. Using Firefox doesn't help so as Eric says it must be that pesky new plugin Cry Eric, will this error message help maybe? Webpage error details User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729) Timestamp: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:59:04 UTC Message: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" /> <errorreport> <error> <exception> <subid>6</subid> <sourcecodelocation> <sourcefilename>IOU_USBLINKIMPL.CPP</sourcefilename> <sourcefileline>754</sourcefileline> </sourcecodelocation> <extra>Windows Error Code: 6 The handle is invalid. </extra> </exception> <application> <name>Garmin Communicator Plug-In</name> <build> <version> <versionmajor>2</versionmajor> <versionminor>7</versionminor> <buildmajor>1</buildmajor> <buildminor>0</buildminor> </version> <type>Internal</type> <time>May 7 2009, 10:50:27</time> <builder>sqa</builder> </build> <languageid>1033</languageid> <partnumber>006-A0160-00</partnumber> </application> <computer> <operatingsystem>Windows XP Service Pack 3</operatingsystem> <processor>x86, Processor Level: 15, Processors:2, Model: 4 Stepping: 3</processor> <ramsize>514124</ramsize> </computer> <time>2009-05-18T19:58:49Z</time> </error> </errorreport> Line: 386 Char: 3 Code: 0 URI: http://www.runningahead.com/js/vendor/garmin/device/GarminDevicePlugin.js

Lazy idiot

I experienced myriad problems with my Garmin and communicating with both the GTC and RA last week, which left me very nonplussed with technology. I tried a number of soft and hard resets, uninstalling and reinstalling GTC/drivers/etc., and nothing worked. Suckeriffic. Then, miraculously, it all worked. The next day, back to not working. Then, back on again since. Good luck, all.

Tick tock