Are five finger shoes really good for running? (Read 174 times)

rlopez

I find you credible.  I declare you princess of credibility.  Or maybe just duchess.

When I am done, I shall pass the duchy.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My weirdness to you is only because you experience a very small portion of it.

This post is full of gems, but this wins.

I was just telling my good friend Paul McCartney that name droppers are...like, the worst.

My close personal friend Neil Young agrees. Also, I applauded loudly for Stanley Clarke at Yoshi's once, therefore I am his manager and bass instructor. (just going along with the "logic" of the particular individual, who may or may not be schizophrenic)

Stanley Clarke Returns to Yoshi's - Beyond Chron

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Good seeing you at the Sauvie Island race that one time, though.

Except  we never met.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m mildly intrigued by the rlopez/sport jester bromance.  Did they or didn’t they meet up?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

rlopez

I’m mildly intrigued by the rlopez/sport jester bromance.  Did they or didn’t they meet up?

We did not. He apparently worked a booth at the Foot Traffic Flat marathon there some of the years I ran it. But I never met him.

I did once challenge him to a 100 mile run on a treadmill, which he agreed to, but I called it off after he started laying down a bunch of his goofball stipulations.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

We did not. He apparently worked a booth at the Foot Traffic Flat marathon there some of the years I ran it. But I never met him.

I did once challenge him to a 100 mile run on a treadmill, which he agreed to, but I called it off after he started laying down a bunch of his goofball stipulations.

Ah, so you never actually met up or had a conversation with him. 

I’m even more intrigued about the 100 mile treadmill challenge and what are goofball stipulations? So what about doing the challenge this fall if all terms and conditions are met by both parties?  Let’s see who is the biggest best pussy. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

rlopez

Ah, so you never actually met up or had a conversation with him. 

I’m even more intrigued about the 100 mile treadmill challenge and what are goofball stipulations? So what about doing the challenge this fall if all terms and conditions are met by both parties?  Let’s see who is the biggest best pussy. 👍

This was almost 10 years ago. I don't remember. It was here on running ahead, so technically findable, though they were posts from my old account name, which is now 'xor'.

No challenge for me. I fully accept the title of big pussy. I have been injured for the last 3 years (among other health challenges) and a long run for me now is 7 whole miles. That's fine. I have plenty of belt buckles and t-shirts.

My regrets:

1. Getting pulled by medical from Western States at mile 30. As a sponsored athlete, I let down my sponsor big time. I'll never get to cover that up.
                  2. I never completed Monkey 100, aka quad monkey. But I AM currently  the only finisher of triple monkey so that's nice.

3. Not covering up my two DNFs at Rocky Raccoon with a finish. The first time, I broke my foot and DNFed at mile 60, so that's a Shit Happens. But the second time, I was at mile 80. I had plenty of time to finish and was not broken, but I was suuuuuper pissed at myself because I had gotten lost (I fixed my lost-ness without cutting the course) and I figured "I'll just come back next year." Yeah.

4. I will never run Hardrock, but last year, I was interviewing to be their guru of social media... then they canceled the race (and now this year's race) and it is unlikely I will make it to Hardrock.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I just don’t get why you are always the first person to ridicule him when he posts??  Some people are actually capable of reading threads and making up their OWN mind if someone is talking crap or not.

rlopez

I just don’t get why you are always the first person to ridicule him when he posts??  Some people are actually capable of reading threads and making up their OWN mind if someone is talking crap or not.

Ah I see. Why didn't you just ask me that 10 posts ago?

The answer is... your confirmation bias is showing, sir. I'm sure that Captain Spaceman has posted tons of times over the last 5 years where I didn't respond at all because until about a month ago, I didn't post.

So, yeah. Whatever dude.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ah I see. Why didn't you just ask me that 10 posts ago?

The answer is... your confirmation bias is showing, sir. I'm sure that Captain Spaceman has posted tons of times over the last 5 years where I didn't respond at all because until about a month ago, I didn't post.

So, yeah. Whatever dude.

LOL, maybe sport jester will remember the “goofball stipulations” and why you backed out of the 100 mile treadmill challenge.

Nads is really the RA historian, but your quest into insanity begins here:

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/dafa78d93b8f4925aaf646a1aae30c5c#focus

July 1 2011, Page 12 (of 22) of the “More Science of Sport discussion on barefoot running”, thread.

Caution, once you enter the thread, you may never return...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                          rlopez

Nads is really the RA historian, but your quest into insanity begins here:

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/dafa78d93b8f4925aaf646a1aae30c5c#focus

July 1 2011, Page 12 (of 22) of the “More Science of Sport discussion on barefoot running”, thread.

Caution, once you enter the thread, you may never return...

I stand corrected on the treadmill aspect. And it  wasn't a "bunch" of goofball aspects... just one rather egregious one that he edited onto his post to make it look like something other than what it was.

But there is the actual history. Thanks, Kevin.  Summer of 2011 was a screwy summer.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

We did not. He apparently worked a booth at the Foot Traffic 

Of course I remember. First off, I'm not stupid enough to have anything to do with Foot Traffic, so I don't know who you saw there. It wasn't me. I was there with the injury rehabilitation clinic I was working through at the time. If we had met, I would have extended the offer to teach you how to run 20% faster in less than an hour for free. Just for the reference.

I chose the distance for a very specific reason. In a 100 mile race, I'm guaranteed to win. If you recall, I've been documented at UofO to walk at 9MPH. Which means If we walk with an impact force of twice our bodyweight and run with an impact force equaling four times our bodyweight, you have a problem. You can't run the entire distance nonstop. All I have to do is walk at a speed you need to run, and I'll simply let the compounding impact energy waste your body needs to absorb and still run grind you into submission and withdraw.

And since I walk with no measurable impact force at all, I can walk at speeds comfortable enough to keep up a winning walking pace quite easily. Its a classic tortoise and the hare scenario for you.

The stipulations, were to do it utilizing the same amount of calories each for the competition. Since I'm far more energy efficient than you are, once again, you would have to drop out well before me. My question was to prove how much further I could travel with the same level of energy consumption. At the time I was in discussion with the Army's physical fitness school and its director was highly interested in the outcome of the experiment. Given Soldiers need to carry in their own food, reducing energy consumption per step is crucial if resupply is cut off.

You were going to be proof to how much further I could travel with the same calorie intake. There was nothing, "goofball," about it.

In retrospect, the part of it for myself, is that a race between us would prove nothing. But this is where ego trumps reality. You had the chance to learn from me, and you chose to challenge me to a useless race than spend far less time learning how to be a faster runner.

The military proverb is, "The loudest mouths in the mess hall are the biggest cowards on the battlefield."

Beating you for me was useless. I tried to figure out a way to make the outcome beneficial. Teaching you to run 20% faster would have been a far better investment of you time for both of us. But you were the one to refuse learning not me.

To be honest, I would have loved to have met you and had a lesser confrontive encounter. As I said, I wanted to find the individual doubting my abilities and prove them wrong. That was the real discussion you walked out on. I would gladly have taught you for free and the clinic owner (who is still a friend) would have readily confirmed for you at the time my speed improvement ability had you truly introduced yourself. He's seen me do it repeatedly.

And you hound me every time I post trying to discredit me in any way you can. Yet when you had the chance to learn from me personally, you were the one to back down, not me. If the best defense is a good offense, even others here note that you're the first to attack my posts.

A little Freudian don't you think...

Go away...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

rlopez

Actually, I hound you with no attempt to "discredit" you whatsoever. You do that to yourself.

As for this: "Of course I remember. First off, I'm not stupid enough to have anything to do with Foot Traffic, so I don't know who you saw there. It wasn't me. I was there with the injury rehabilitation clinic I was working through at the time."  You were there. Just because I was there to run the race does not mean I didn't see people in the associated booths. It is weirdness like this which has always been puzzling about you. (edit: which anyone can see from looking back through the threads: I actually did NOT see him. My "good to see you" thing started out as a random nod to the past. I've never actually seen the guy. But statements like the one I quoted are just weird. "I was not there, you didn't see me, I was there."

As for being "guaranteed to win", this comes from a person who has never attempted to cover 100 miles at one time. The pace math never works out because long ultras are a lot more about nutrition, mental stuff, and problem solving than x pace and anything goofy about "grinding me into submission". But that is exactly how it started many years ago... at which point, I called him on his shit and agreed to do it. The idea was supposed to be about his approach to ostrich running vs mine. But, having said "sure, let's do this", he went back and edited his post to indicate that, aha, I was supposed to run barefoot. Nope. Not what the challenge was about. And even in the previous comment ^^^ he makes it sound like it is supposed to be mano a mano, I do my thing and he does his. Except for the "one neat trick."

That's all there ever is with this guy. You can try to discredit him with math or experience, it won't matter. 3-6 months later he will be back, a little meaner each time. And so I just poke him. I don't have to do that... I didn't do that for about five years.... it didn't matter one way or the other.

And it is very true that yall are "smart" enough to figure it out for yourselves; everybody does. I'm just trying to helpfully short circuit the madness before you spend time writing really great refutations of his kookiness in an attempt to change his mind. Or show others. It won't help. And know well - over the past 20 years, it was never just he vs me. Those old threads are all about LOTS OF PEOPLE trying to either talk to him normally, or mess with him.

You can choose not to play or you can PLAY. Either way, it won't change anything. He'll wait until there are new people to troll and start over again.

As you were. Feel free to ignore this thread.