Feasible time for my first 5K. (Read 788 times)

I run in my first 5k on June 7th, basically 4 weeks away. (not my first but 2nd, my first was 5 yrs ago) Considering I still run at least 5 times a week plus maybe have lost another 4 lbs (down to 185)...what would be a good goal time be. Something I can work for but not kill myself trying to get there. I ran a 26:07 - 3 mile run this morning...as weight drops and I run more...everyday seems I recover quicker, could run longer, and usually run faster. BTW, the 26:07 was a hard run...I don't know how much more I could have given...maybe would have been able to shave it down to below 26 minutes but I would be hurting bad right now if I did. Just wondering all those with more experience than myself. Big grin
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I wouldn't worry so much about a time goal, but given your recent hard 3-miler, I'd try running your race at that same average pace, but try to get slightly faster as you get into the second or third mile. Once you get a race or two under your belt, you'll have a much better idea what works for you. Good luck! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I remember my first 5k... I ran 3 miles about a week before in about 27:00... and though I my heart was going to explode. Come race day I ended up running 25:00... that being said I agree with jeffgoblue... go out with the same intensity as your hard run... and stay in control... Mile 2 for me was hard... but once you hit the last mile... go for it... you will be surprised how much race day adrenaline will fuel you... and competition.
          Also, make sure to remain further back in the group so that you don't go out too fast. The ones who line up in the front always burn out a quick first mile and running along side them will make you do so. I saw a lot of people doing that at a 15k back in March that I ran. I passed a good 30 people in the first half mile because they lined up in the front, got carried out by the two guys who posted sub 6 minute miles, and by the time they reached the top of the opening hill they were spent.
            That is great advice. The only other 5k I ran...I started in the very back (last male) b/c I was late and very intimidated. About 2 minutes in the race I was thankful I did. I think for the first 1 1/2 miles I didn't have one single person pass me, while I was reeling in folks left and right. It did alot for my confidence and I ended up running a 27 something or another...thought I was something until the winner met me with a mile to go looking like he hadn't driven a mile much less raced 3.1. He was running back up the course backwards trying to find the last runner...he walked her in (I thought that was a classy move) ... but, yes I will definitely start in the back again.
            2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
              If you just started running this week you can probably go faster. I ran my 1st 3 mile run in 27:00 at age 16.....about 10 days later I was running 3 miles in 24 minutes. How fast can you run a mile? If you can run a mile in 7:00 you should be able to run a 5k in under 25 minutes with a couple weeks training. During a 5k race run the 1st mile comfortably hard...know that you could run the entire 3 miles at this pace...once you get to the 2nd mile you can maintain that pace or increase the pace slightly if you feel good. The 3rd mile should be the hardest so you don't want to be burned out by the time you hit this mile mark. EDIT to add I just saw your HS mile time was 4:37...you have the genetics to run fast ... 185 pounds is not that big...I think your times are going to drop dramatically and pleasantly fast. Dont do too much but with 3 more weeks of training I could see you going below 24 - maybe faster (just a hunch).
                those were the days...18 yrs ago and 40 lbs ago. I got what looks to be a good plan on paper and I keep my goals at the forefront. 1) Lose weight 2) Stay Away from Injury 3) Run Longer and Faster and if I ran sub 24 I would "freak out" oh I am 189 right now and 5'9"...I should be about 150lb so, what I am hearing...keep the running going and run smart and then see what happens Big grin

Member Since 2008

Keep one thing in mind. If you can sprint at the end of the race, you didn't run hard enough.
                    Keep one thing in mind. If you can sprint at the end of the race, you didn't run hard enough.
                    So what's the difference between "sprinting at the end" and "finishing kick"?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm calling BS on that, at least to a point. Ever watch a track meet on TV? Do they run even splits, or are they sprinting near the end? Having a strong kick is more a function of pure speed and anaerobic capacity than anything else. I mean, if you're that guy that lollygags at a much slower pace than you're capable of, only to sprint like a madman and pass the walkers at the end of the race, then yes, you didn't run hard enough. But I like to think of it this way -- if you're not sprinting at the end of the race, you didn't finish hard enough.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I think you can go under 25:30 for the 5K, if not under 25:00. Let us know how it goes. RE: the "finishing kick" discussion, read the latest "science of sport" series on fatigue. They hit on this topic I believe.

De-slacking in progress

I think you can go under 25:30 for the 5K, if not under 25:00. Let us know how it goes. RE: the "finishing kick" discussion, read the latest "science of sport" series on fatigue. They hit on this topic I believe.
                          I read this blog- very interesting- Since I'm a C25K trainee right now (did first 5K length the other day @ 27:43), I've found that the daily/weekly goals that are set by the program work very well. My problem I've notice is that if it says to run 25 min then the sec I hit the 25 min mark, my brain say- OK- Goal achieved-STOP and that's all I can take physically. However - just the week before it was only a 20 min run and I experienced the very exact thing. So I guess you have to screw with your brain to attain the desired goal you want, like average pacing, distance or time. Amazing how that all works together.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

24:30 (see AaronC et al.)