Need help getting rid of 'runner's knee'. (Read 1459 times)

CO Christian

My running partner is really having trouble with pain in her knee. She's done everything I did when I had it but is still in pain. Does anyone have any advice?
      This is far too general a question. So, I would recommend: See a doctor. Or at least be more specific.

CO Christian

Think it's the IT band... pain on the outside and behind her knee. Starts about 1 mile into the run and she says it 'burns' really bad if she doesn't quit. Pain goes away the minute she stops running... walking is fine.
          Pain that goes away immediately when she stops running is very likely runner's knee. Does she have any pain when climbing or descending stairs? I had a bad case of runner's knee (patellar tendonitis) two years ago. My doctor, a runner, prescribed the following remedy, which I followed faithfully. It worked well, but requires patience. 1) Stop running now. Never "run through" runner's knee pain. (In my case, the pain was so severe I couldn't anyway). 2) Use ibuprofen and/or ice to heal the immediate injury. Take between two and four weeks off, depending upon how long it takes before she feels no pain when walking or climbing stairs. 3) When she feels no more pain, she should start walking. This is a hard step for a life-long runner, believe me. Walk as far as she feels comfortable, but stop immediately when the pain returns. Supplement these workouts with leg exercises designed to strengthen the thighs. (Sit in a kitchen chair, point the toes outward, and extend the leg straight out ahead of you. Repeat the set with the toes pointed inward. Work both legs). 4) When she can walk a mile without pain, begin to run-walk. Run distances should be short and slow. Stop immediately if there is pain. (In my case, there was. The pain would return after a block or two of slow jogging). Don't push. Do whatever doesn't hurt. 5) Slowly add mileage to the run-walk, or increase distance to the run portions. Use the 10% rule. 6) Be patient. Recovery from a severe case of runner's knee can take months. I missed the best part of the summer during my recovery and it was about nine months before I could run two miles. Finally, decide to run for a lifetime instead of just one race. I injured my knee by overtraining, trying to regain the speed of my youth. I was training for my own private two-mile race when I was hurt. For a time, I wondered if I'd ever run again. My doctor advised me to remember my age and take more care when planning my workouts. I'll be forty this year, and I'm back to 20-25 mpw. That may seem short to many, but for me they are the sweetest miles I've ever run. Good luck. Don't listen to anyone who recommends running through this. It's possible I suppose, but the only thing that will heal runner's knee is time and care.
          Do bears bear? Do bees be?
            Outside knee pain is normally a good indicator of ITBS but it normally occurs on the outside front of the knee or on the bony point of the hip. The other symptoms sound right. Unlike runner's knee, ITB pain will not go away if you continue to run, it will only get worse. I ignored it in my last marathon and did so much damage that it was months before I could run again. If what your friend has is ITBS then they need to rest (as in zero running) and do what they can to reduce the amount of inflammation i.e. use ice and ibuprofen. ITBS takes a long time to heal because of the limited blood supply to the area. A foam roller will help with that issue. Another thing that I've had success with is strengthening exercises for the involved muscle, the tensor fascia lata. An excellent example of this exercise is the Walt Reynolds ITB special. It seems awkward at first but once you get it right it can offer a lot of relief. As important as treatment is figuring out the cause, otherwise the problem will just return. Common causes are running on heavily crowned roads, using the wrong shoes or having a leg length discrepancy. Have your friend read up on it and try to correct what is causing it before attempting to run again. In the mean time rest, ice/medication and strengthening exercises are the order of the day. Tom

CO Christian

Thanks! She's just coming off not running for a few weeks while she strengthened, and finally got professionally fitted for shoes but the pain came right back. Cry I'll tell her what you both had to say... the best part being that it DID eventually get better.
                amputate
                chrimbler

Run like you stole it!