Where do you Race? (Read 87 times)

There are some cool races in Chicago but I'm out in the burbs...

I still love big races.... but lately I've become a local race snob....

Now I'm not really talking my 1 or 2 big races of the year....or target races... I'll travel a bit for those....but,

traveling an hour+ for say a 5k-10k... of no significant importance other than to race....a race....

plus paying for parking etc...

Curious what others do?

How far are the majority of your races? perhaps say target races vs. lower significant races...??

300m- 37 sec.

I don't race much, if I want to know how fast I am I do a time-trial. But, a few interesting races a year is good! Sometimes using a race as an excuse for a roadtrip or a vacation is fun. Most of the interesting or "epic" races are ultramarathons, though. The Goblin Valley 50k is on my "to do" list. I prefer staying in my campervan than motels, so that works out perfect for me. I'm also toying with the idea of going to the 2020 World Masters Games in Kyoto (postponed twice, now set for May 2022!) and doing the 1500. Still don't know if travel to Japan will be restricted by pandemic or not, so I'm afraid to commit to buying tickets and booking a hotel. But for local regular races, I look for a flat and fast course, or one that has few logistics; so almost always smaller races. I don't think my introvert head could tolerate one of those 1000+ entrant races, with "wave starts". Stick me on a bus packed with other runners just to get to the starting line? Wait around for an hour+ for the start? no thanks.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I only travel for marathons as that is the only distance I train for and love visiting different cities and taking in the vibe.

Shorter distances are always fairly local (maximum 1 hour drive) and have never tapered for one.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

arunnerd

Roads Scholar

I have done destination marathons, Boston, Chicago, etc. where the race was the purpose for the trip.  I also have done a bunch of local races, usually within an hour's drive.

However, when I have other travel plans, visiting family, or vacation, or whatever reason, I also look around for something unique to run in that destination.   Some of those have been gems, like the 6 Tunnels to Hoover Dam race (~12K) near Vegas.

I strive towards laconic wit, my wife says I'm halfway there.

arunnerd.blogspot.com

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The majority of my races are within a day's drive, one or two a year might require flying.  Aside from one local 50K they all include an overnight stay.  After running anywhere from 8 to 24 hours, I'm not ready to face a long drive home.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Resident Historian

I'll race locally for 5k's and 10k's, but if I'm on vacation somewhere I'll see there are any races nearby.
              I'm ok with a driving trip of a few hours with an overnight stay for a half, or a special 15k/10-mile.

As marathon attempts require long training cycles and recovery, it's important for me to have good conditions. I'll travel as needed to find the right one, especially if friends are running it. Usually a weekend trip -- but maybe the reverse of above, go to a race then look for vacation opportunities. Like Mikkey, I "...love visiting different cities and taking in the vibe."

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I used to be willing to do more destination events, but in recent years I might meet up with friends every-other year for a race involving travel and a hotel stay. Other than that, if it's more than 60min from my pillow, I don't bother. My guts are already a hot mess in the AM (thanks, Cancer!), so having to drive more than an hour for a race is not happening.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Running Problem

Problem Child

I race local almost all the time. I will travel for marathons. I will also look for races to do when I travel. I went to one of the Virginias earlier this year and looked up a 5k while I was there for a graduation party, but I probably wouldn't drive 4 hours for an 8k or even a half marathon. Destination "races" most likely wouldn't be a race, unless 5k or 10k and I could target it. Otherwise....I'm just too cheap.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Here in New Zealand I've generally raced in Auckland but I'll travel anywhere in the country if there's a race worth doing... admittedly it'd have to be at least a 10k.  Most of the country is less than a 2 hour flight away so that helps too.

There are some very cool events in beautiful parts of the country so it's a great way to see other places.  Mostly these are smaller events too.  There is the Southern Lakes Half Marathon which runs down a mountain pass on the highest paved road in the country.  The Omaha Half Marathon is a great beachside race which was on Runners World's top 10 bucket list half marathons as well.

The Clyde to Alexandra 10km Road Race starts on top of a hydro-electric dam; that's one I'm hoping to tick off next year.

That's without mentioning the trail races too, there are some world class events there (although I am no expert on that front).

I'd consider flying to Australia (~3 hour flight to the East Coast) for a race but it'd have to be something particularly good.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

any place that holds my interest.

Not so much in the last year and a half, but I would try for 1 or 2 destination races a year in different parts of the country. Bonus would be to find one during a vacation or work travel. The last year and a half, I've raced mostly in the area (WA State) and all have been low key, mostly trail races.

Other than The Marine Corp Marathon, most of my travel races have low key as well. Will definitively go back to DC for that one and I have another Monkey or 2 in me.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

berylrunner

Rick

I stay local.  Plenty of good races in Southern Utah, or chose my own adventure.   I do travel to S. California.  I would like to BQ every other year at the Carlsbad marathon.   I don't do 5k to half marathons anymore.   Too $ and I have slowed.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Half Crazy K 2.0

Typically, I won't drive more than 45 minutes for a race and I try to stay under 30 minutes. There are usually enough races close by that it's not an issue. I also tend to avoid races where the only parking options are a garage that is $$$$$. Mostly that is downtown Baltimore, but Towson, a suburb rtight by me, is also mostly paid parking (and a total cluster for parking and I avoid going over there for non-running trips as well).

I have done a few HMs that required a hotel stay. My personal requirement is that there needs to be a hotel within walking distance, which is the case in Atlantic City and Salisbury.

I also prefer smaller races.

dumrunner

Most of my races (all ultras) are within 1-4 hours of DC (typically in the mountains to the west), but I like to have a destination race each year. These have included 100 milers in WY, UT, CA, NYC, NC, and WA. Racing in different environments is something I really enjoy.

gorunn12

Within a couple hours here in southern Utah.  Got the Butch Cassidy 10K in 2 weeks.  Running races for over 40 years now since I lived in Massachusetts late 70's early 80's, so usually we go by how much it cost Smile

The overwhelming majority of the races I've run were within an hour of home in the Boston area, including a whole bunch where jogged to the start from home. But I've traveled for some marathons and cross country races.

The farthest I've traveled for a race was Bend, Oregon. That required a couple of airplanes each way including one with propellers.

Runners run