Altitude Training Paces (Read 238 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

If I use Daniels' new calculator that gives training paces based on altitude, the training paces increase (slow down) by about 30 secs.

http://runsmartproject.com/calculator/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=JD+Calculator&utm_content=JD+Calculator+CID_9ec4237579e45170ed8fe36ce8e64a05&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=Jack%20Daniels%20Running%20Calculator#modMarathon

So, marathon pace is 7:26 but at altitude is 7:52.

Wondering how one gets the turnover and "feel" of real M pace if you are training at the slower, altitude adjusted paces.

Any strategies for others living at altitude?

Thanks!

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

Latent Runner

Back in 1990 I was living in Chicago at an altitude of about 575' MSL, and I did the Mammoth Lakes Triathlon where the swim started at 6,700' MSL and the run started closer to 8,000' MSL.  My only advice short of living where you're planning on racing is to get there at least a week early, preferably two, and do some tempo runs.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      Hoban-Jay

Back in 1990 I was living in Chicago at an altitude of about 575' MSL, and I did the Mammoth Lakes Triathlon where the swim started at 6,700' MSL and the run started closer to 8,000' MSL.  My only advice short of living where you're planning on racing is to get there at least a week early, preferably two, and do some tempo runs.

NHLA

What altitude are you racing in and what is the alt where you live?

I train at 6000' and don't feel much different at higher alt.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Training at 7K and racing at 2k.  I can feel a difference at 7k when training.  I could run M pace but the physiological effect may be more like Threshold?  Not sure exactly...

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)
            sport jester

Biomimeticist

What Daniel forgets to mention is that cultures who live at high altitude do not walk like we do, run like we do, nor do they carry weight like we do.

In fact as one goes up in altitude, there are distinct biomechanic differences between those who live at altitudes few could manage.

Tibetans at 14,000 ft are more efficient runners than those a mere 1000ft lower in altitude.

Without having any oxygen to waste, the don't focus on pushing their VO2 Max rates. Instead they focus on consuming the least amount of oxygen necessary to move forward.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xhristopher

I can't help to wonder if Peruvians & Bolivians who live on Lake Titicaca row their boats faster than the rest of us at sea level? And what about those rowing their boat in the Dead sea? Is that even slower? Or is the lower altitude offset by the density of the water? Or does the increased buoyancy in the Dead Sea reduce drag and thus offset t he density? And by extension, do people who live at altitude experience less drag due to the thinner air, which just helps them row their boats faster?

FSBD

I can't help to wonder if Peruvians & Bolivians who live on Lake Titicaca row their boats faster than the rest of us at sea level? And what about those rowing their boat in the Dead sea? Is that even slower? Or is the lower altitude offset by the density of the water? Or does the increased buoyancy in the Dead Sea reduce drag and thus offset t he density? And by extension, do people who live at altitude experience less drag due to the thinner air, which just helps them row their boats faster?

These are fantastic questions.  I think we should fund raise to commission a study to find these answers.  I'm going to go bake some cupcakes.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Love how threads go way off topic Smile

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What's your favorite cupcake?  Do you fuel your long runs with them?

Titicaca 

Still funny. Nearly two hours later.

Love how threads go way off topic Smile

I heard this interview yesterday.  I am just going off that, but maybe if you're at altitude you'd be a good candidate for HR-type training.  I dunno, just throwing it out there:

iRunFar: Great race yesterday, Emelie.

Emelie Forsberg: Yeah. It was… I felt bad with the altitude but somehow it worked. All the race with the heart rate at maximum, I think. It was super hard for the heart.

iRF: So you had a really high intensity for the whole race.

Forsberg: Yeah, the muscles it didn’t affect, so it was just the heart that worked not really the muscles.

iRF: Do you think it was just from coming over so soon before the race?

Forsberg: Yeah, I think so. I stayed in Chamonix this summer, but it’s at 1,000 meters and this is 3,000 meters, so it is a bit different. And before, I was home in Norway.

iRF: So you weren’t prepared for the elevation?

Forsberg: No.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

FSBD

What's your favorite cupcake?  Do you fuel your long runs with them?

We have a local shop that does Salted Carmel Cupcakes that are incredible.  They make an excellent recovery snack.  If I could figure out how to carry them with me I might fuel my runs with them.  Big grin

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Still funny. Nearly two hours later.

I'm still sniggering.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Of course the topic gets changed. Usually by people who know nothing about the science of training.

Maybe more posters here should stay in the food forums and discuss baking technique when its obvious they can't discuss running technique

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9537925

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16764524

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong