Altitude Training Paces (Read 238 times)

Peace

Of course the topic gets changed. Usually by people who know nothing about the science of training.

Maybe more posters here should stay in the food forums and discuss baking technique when its obvious they can't discuss running technique

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9537925

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16764524

Long time follower, 1st time poster....

You are not very smart.  You come across as someone without any ability to convey a message.  If you were smart, you would learn how to communicate.  Obviously, that's not your gift.

Wise people would not respond to Sport Jester posts.

RA, Please do not respond to him.  If you read his posts, and nobody confronts his stupid behavior, let it go.  He doesn't deserve response.

But I did, because I'm not wise.

Peace

Resident Historian

Yep, the science of whether Tibetans at 4400m have greater work capacity than those at lower altitudes is vitally relevant to the O.P.'s question.Roll eyes

Which was "Wondering how one gets the turnover and "feel" of real M pace if you are training at the slower, altitude adjusted paces."

Yes indeed, critical!  We "...are obviously no match for your brain."

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

mikeymike

RA, Please do not respond to him.  If you read his posts, and nobody confronts his stupid behavior, let it go.  He doesn't deserve response.

But I did, because I'm not wise.

Peace

People have been saying this for years. Some just can't resist.

I don't mind sport jester.  He's mildly entertaining in a demented way.

What I don't get is the phenomenon of people of above average intelligence like srlopez, spaniel and Nobby who engage with him as though he's serious.

"Jester" literally means a joker, a fool, a prankster, a buffoon.  So a sport jester would be someone who engages in that type of behavior for sport.

So you see a post from a guy named sport jester that's filled with all kinds of crazy shit that you couldn't even make up like t-rex, ostriches, Navy SEALs and pygmies and then you respond as though he's serious?  It's like he's going out of his way to say the most ridiculous shit possible and people have this deep seeded seated need to take him at face value.

It's one of the biggest RunningAhead WTFs for me.

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

FYI, the OP, HoosierDaddy completed the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning this summer. In ten weeks he raced four very prestigious 100 milers, Western States, Leadville, Wasatch, and Vermont.  I don't know how he is able to walk at this point.

I was thinking that this deserves a mention on RA because it is a hell of an accomplishment and he is too humble to ever bring it up.

Congrats, Jay.

Ok, back to the usual SJ-related nonsense.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

TripleBock

I found when skiing at Copper Mountain in CO (9000 feet at base), running was 60-90 seconds per mile slower at easy pace.  But that was only for runs 5-8 miles.  I live @ 750 feet.

I like cupcakes with caramel in the middle

When I was on a SD / MT / Yellowstone trip I did a lot of bigger climbs that I am not used to, so I would have sucked wind anyway.  But After 3-4 days.

I had 2 days at the Yellowstone (day 4-5) and did loops on the Elephant Back trail (Climbs to 8,800 feet) and the elevation was not so obvious.

2 days running at Roosevelt Lodge @ 6,000 feet (Day 6-7) the elevation or oxygen level never even crossed my mind.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

Agreed - He is an ass-kicker!

FYI, the OP, HoosierDaddy completed the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning this summer. In ten weeks he raced four very prestigious 100 milers, Western States, Leadville, Wasatch, and Vermont.  I don't know how he is able to walk at this point.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

I just think that HD is taking the weekend long runs to an extreme.  Does he not know that the long run is not supposed to exceed 25-33% of his weekly mileage.

Kalsarikännit

Doesn't RW say one day of recovery for every mile raced?  HoosierDaddy needs to work on his bowling game for the next year +.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

#artbydmcbride

Hoosier Daddy should be schooling us on what pace to be training at for marathons.   And I want a cupcake now.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hoosier Daddy should be schooling us on what pace to be training at for marathons.   And I want a cupcake now.

Focus, people!  This thread is about altitude!  When baking cupcakes at altitude, you need to make adjustments to the recipe.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

One of my biggest challenges is maintaining speed and I get hung up on technicalities.  I've failed to BQ too many times so getting caught up in the minutia.  That and there are times I run MP up here yet the hear rate is pegged at threshold which is too high for 26.2.  If I train at +30 secs per mile, no problem.... but the legs may not be able to maintain the turnover for the full marathon later.

WG - thanks for the compliment.  Want a do-over in a couple races but that is what keeps us going... knowing or thinking we can do better Smile

I want a salted caramel cupcake.

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)
                        sport jester

Biomimeticist

Focus, people!  This thread is about altitude!  When baking cupcakes at altitude, you need to make adjustments to the recipe.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

Its all about oxygen and the lack of it.

That's the joke of VO2 training; trying to increase your oxygen consumption to improve performance only works when oxygen is readily present in the atmosphere. As altitude increases, and oxygen levels decrease, then you're going to hit maximum performance at much lower levels than an athlete who trains in trying to consume the least amount of oxygen necessary to accomplish any given speed.

As I stated originally, high altitude cultures don't walk, run, or carry weight like we do. That's why they're faster than we are at our natural levels of competition. They can carry a minimum of 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in oxygen level consumption to do so. That is a skill I'm quite sure the OP cannot duplicate. Because if he were to learn it, then a 20% higher speed regardless to altitude would be easy to do.

And unlike anyone who thinks so little of me, then I openly challenge anyone to tell me how these women modify their walking gait given how high Kenya is. Because unlike most,  I can. I can describe mimic and teach how they do it.

http://www.ottopohl.com/Stories/2002_Stories/NYTheads2.htm

As to the OP, I don't care who he is. If he was born, raised, and trained, in the United States, then he has no clue what technique skills differentiate him from those with thousands of years in adaptation acclimation to low oxygen level existence.

The only question is if he truly wants to improve. Because high altitude cultures consume far less energy per step than he does.

I'm simply describing what science needs to be addressed if he wants to go faster. If he doesn't want to better understand the biomechanic skill necessary to do so, then that's his problem, not mine.

And if you can prove me wrong with once science study rather than pathetic attempt at ridicule (which I consider a compliment anyway) then I'll gladly have an open debate with anyone.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xhristopher

Sticking with the altitude theme, and having used Titicaca as an example, I suggest you consider baking your cup cakes with Andes mints.

xhristopher

I was thinking that this deserves a mention on RA because it is a hell of an accomplishment and he is too humble to ever bring it up.

Congrats, Jay.

Ok, back to the usual SJ-related nonsense.

Very impressive.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Shit man.  I know I am not a Sherpa.  Don't want to be.

All I am interested in is turnover and the lack of muscle development to support the necessary turnover when I go from living at altitude to racing.  No matter how much better my O2 consumption is when I go to lower elevation, if the muscles are  not trained to turnover at the necessary pace for 26.2, I won't be able to meet my goal time.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

Its all about oxygen and the lack of it.

That's the joke of VO2 training; trying to increase your oxygen consumption to improve performance only works when oxygen is readily present in the atmosphere. As altitude increases, and oxygen levels decrease, then you're going to hit maximum performance at much lower levels than an athlete who trains in trying to consume the least amount of oxygen necessary to accomplish any given speed.

As I stated originally, high altitude cultures don't walk, run, or carry weight like we do. That's why they're faster than we are at our natural levels of competition. They can carry a minimum of 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in oxygen level consumption to do so. That is a skill I'm quite sure the OP cannot duplicate. Because if he were to learn it, then a 20% higher speed regardless to altitude would be easy to do.

And unlike anyone who thinks so little of me, then I openly challenge anyone to tell me how these women modify their walking gait given how high Kenya is. Because unlike most,  I can. I can describe mimic and teach how they do it.

http://www.ottopohl.com/Stories/2002_Stories/NYTheads2.htm

As to the OP, I don't care who he is. If he was born, raised, and trained, in the United States, then he has no clue what technique skills differentiate him from those with thousands of years in adaptation acclimation to low oxygen level existence.

The only question is if he truly wants to improve. Because high altitude cultures consume far less energy per step than he does.

I'm simply describing what science needs to be addressed if he wants to go faster. If he doesn't want to better understand the biomechanic skill necessary to do so, then that's his problem, not mine.

And if you can prove me wrong with once science study rather than pathetic attempt at ridicule (which I consider a compliment anyway) then I'll gladly have an open debate with anyone.

• Black Canyon 100k
                                • RRR
                                • Zane Grey 100k
                                • High Lonesome 100
                                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                                • The Bear 100
                                • Javelina Jundred (?)