What exactly happens at a pedicure? (Read 212 times)

SillyC

First, I'm female.  And I've never had a pedicure before.

My daughters want to go for one of these, but I've never been and I don't know what to expect.  I also don't want them to screw up my feet.  Or, shall I say, screw up my feet more?

No, okay....  my feet are fine.  I have my toenails clipped extremely short, and right now, I have 10 of them.

Can ya help?

Zelanie

I felt the same way- I am not a girly girl!  But my daughter is, so I went with her.  And now when I do treat myself to one, my feet always thank me for it.

I've only ever been to one place.  But here's how it works there:

You sit in a massage chair with your feet in hot, bubbly water while you wait.  Then they come and you get a foot massage and a calf massage with hot rocks.  They use hard sponge type things to sand down the callouses.  But they leave enough callouses on so that you don't have to worry about blisters, you just feel better.

Then they get their toenail tools out and trim your toenails down if they can.  They push back the cuticle and trim off the excess.  They also get rid of the callousy crud that builds up on the end of my second toe.

The polish goes on last, usually two coats and a topcoat.  And that's it.  Except for trying to be patient enough to let it dry before leaving.

It is a real treat to go, and I am not a girly girl at all.  But we do need to take care of our feet with all that they do for us!

Some will ask if you'd like the callouses removed. I always say no--I need those, after all! If you have a hot towel leg wrap option, do it. It's heavenly.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Don't cut your toe nails TOO short!  I just learned that's how you end with ones that are ingrown.  The toe nails should extend a little past the end of your toes!

I love pedicures.  My feet are all beat up from running, and a pedicure gets them back in shape.   Be prepared for exclamations from the person who gives you one, though.  Last time, the Vietnamese woman looked at me and said, "You a RUNNER!" in kind of a disapproving tone of voice.

SillyC

Thanks everyone!

Don't cut your toe nails TOO short!  I just learned that's how you end with ones that are ingrown.  The toe nails should extend a little past the end of your toes!

Well, the other option - the one I use - is to consistently cut them to the edge of the nail bed.  Mine have never extended past the end of my toes.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

This is probably a stupid question, but what do you do when you are losing a toenail?  I think I am losing one, my first ever.  Do you just keep it short and let it grow back to normal?  It's freaking me out a little.  It's partially attached, like one half is fine but the other half I can see under. 

Leah, mother of dogs

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Here's some good reading regarding manicures and pedicures from the American Academy of Dermatology.

Just make sure the place is clean and their tools are properly clean/cared for.  I've seen/treated some pretty nasty infections resulting from people getting their nails done, both hands and feet, at sketchy places.

MTA: Pay particular attention to what they do.  Some of the AAD information contradicts practices previously discussed in this thread.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

SillyC

Here's some good reading regarding manicures and pedicures from the American Academy of Dermatology.

Just make sure the place is clean and their tools are properly clean/cared for.  I've seen/treated some pretty nasty infections resulting from people getting their nails done, both hands and feet, at sketchy places.

MTA: Pay particular attention to what they do.  Some of the AAD information contradicts practices previously discussed in this thread.

Thanks cookiemonster.  I think I won't go now.  Smile

I'm a microbiologist, and now that I've been reminded, I'm never going to be able to sit there in the chair, with my feet in the water, and NOT think about MRSA and Vibrio vulnificus.

This is probably a stupid question, but what do you do when you are losing a toenail?  I think I am losing one, my first ever.  Do you just keep it short and let it grow back to normal?  It's freaking me out a little.  It's partially attached, like one half is fine but the other half I can see under. 

Just let it fall of on its own. To pull them off before they're ready will just lead to lots of pain and potential for infections.

SillyC

Get them surgically removed, like Marshall Ulrich and Pam Smith!

http://www.irunfar.com/2014/01/putting-my-best-foot-forward.html

a holistic approach to the practice:

pedicure

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Best Present Ever

Thanks cookiemonster.  I think I won't go now.  Smile

I'm a microbiologist, and now that I've been reminded, I'm never going to be able to sit there in the chair, with my feet in the water, and NOT think about MRSA and Vibrio vulnificus.

^^^ this.  I sometimes get manicures (very short, no color) because my daughter likes to, it's pretty cheap, and almost anything that my 13 year old is willing to do with me I'm willing to try, but not pedicures.  I know two people who have developed cellulitis after pedicures.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Just let it fall of on its own. To pull them off before they're ready will just lead to lots of pain and potential for infections.

Thank you!  I will leave it alone then.

Leah, mother of dogs

phred_qz

I'm not too girly at all (I go to work with my hair wet after an AM run and don't mind at all from a style stand point,  I just feel lucky that my coworkers accept my quirks!)

That said, for whatever reason, I do like having my toes polished. Makes up for ugly runners feet I guess.  I really do like going about once every month or two - getting the caluses shaved down is awesome! They'll leave as much calus as you want, just let them know - I like some, but not all that I come in with Smile

As for cleanlieness - get on yelp  or such not. I prefer to go to a place that's a little pricer than some others in town, just b/c they get their tools out of little sterilized pouches and are known for being freakisly clean.  TO be honest, I've had perfectly good experiences at other cheaper places that are a little less rigorous about the cleaning, but I've seen one too many 60minues or such about the infections you can get if things aren't clean, so prefer to pay a little extra for peace of mind.

And yes, do the hot towel wrap on the legs. Go on a weekend after a long run... you'll love life Smile

I sometimes do the manicure too b/c they do an arm massage. You can ask for just a buff on the nails, not a polish, if you're like me and can't stand color on your fingers - they will usually offer color or french, but I've never had a problem just getting a buff.

50 Miles - done

41.6 Miles - done

26.2 Miles - done

...now it's time to get faster. 

running > all else

It's been a while since I've had a pedicure, but they are pretty relaxing, as I recall. Your feet soak in a nice hot bubbling bath of water...then, the nail tech dries your feet, uses a stone to rub away dry edges of your feet. Then, trims your toenails...and cleans any gunk that might be underneath your nails. Then, you select a color of polish...she/he paints your nails...and voila...a pedicure. Smile

I want one now. lol I stopped getting my finger and toe nails done, mainly because it was just so time consuming on my weekends, to go to those appointments. Between the two, every two weeks...I'd be gone for a few hours.

They won't mess up your feet. I've always felt it to be a relaxing and gentle (and fun) experience).