older guy running (Read 243 times)

pjf0301

I am trying to get my 5k time down again. I am 48 yr old man.    I'm at about 24:30 - would like to get down to 22ish.   This is in South Louisiana and it's hot now.  I run a long run of 6 miles.  A couple 4 mile easy runs.   A speed workout on the track which is total of about 4 miles.   I run about 2.25 miles worth of actual faster paced running during this workout comprised of 400, 800, 1200 and 1 mile repeats - varying each week.   Lately I have been running a 5k almost every weekend so I consider that my tempo workout.  So a total of 5 days running.   I have read that I should increase my mileage.   Well,  that is difficult.  Just don't think I have that much more in me to go more than about the 23 or so mile that I am doing.   On this schedule and current plan is getting down to the 22 minute time doable.  Any suggestions?  THANKS!!

Sounds like you already know the answer.  If you want to get a little better at your bowling, you bowl a little more. If you want to really improve your golfing a lot, you golf a lot more.

If you want to improve your running, ________________________________________________.

an amazing likeness

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

Oh, and 48 = old....hah!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jfa

^ Good one ! ^

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

They are correct, of course, which means your first challenge is a logistical one.  In my case, getting enough miles means doing a lot of my runs at 5:30 am. If you're serious, you'll need to come up with a plan and make it work. Good luck!

Incrementally increase the time/miles you run per week until you're at about 40 mpw, then park there. Don't worry about workouts until you're logging 40 consistently. Throw in a little fastish stuff here and there in the meantime, but mostly just run easy. Throw in a 5k race every so often. You're building the machine. It's only a couple hours more spread over a week than what you're doing now, and it will reap huge dividends.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

All good advice here. Note, 6 miles is not enough to trigger long-run physiological adaptions that improve endurance. Try building up your long run to 90 minutes. Of course, 90 minute weekly long runs imply 3-4 hours of running in other workouts.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

If you need to lose weight, that will help.

I agree you need to run more, just add a few miles a week,

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

I ran a 22:4X 5K at age 59ish off a base of 2000 miles per year for several years.  All easy runs, no speed work except for some 11 mile runs with the last 2 or 3 miles tempo.

Focus on the base miles, the 5K times will follow.

pjf0301

All good advice here. Note, 6 miles is not enough to trigger long-run physiological adaptions that improve endurance. Try building up your long run to 90 minutes. Of course, 90 minute weekly long runs imply 3-4 hours of running in other workouts.

Thank you - I kind of thought, from back in my earlier days, that I needed a longer run than 6 miles.

pjf0301

Haha I don't feel old - but I guess I am trying to say I'm not 30 either, lol!!

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

Oh, and 48 = old....hah!

A YOUNG guy like you should have no problem eeking a little more speed....

SLOW DOWN for most of your miles...and run more days and more miles........

Simple for a youngster like you....

Champions are made when no one is watching

NickK

The heat will make longer runs more difficult to get done, so think about running twice a day once or twice a week.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

So I saw the OP from the 48-year-old. Where is the question from the "older guy"?

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

nothing more to add except agreeing on slowing building up more miles for awhile & being consistent.  If it is tough to do then slow down to whatever pace gets you more "time on your feet" & more miles.