2014 Sub 19 5k Thread (Read 341 times)

djs

So I have a 5km race coming up next Friday the 3rd. My training plan says 8 to 10 k race but what the heck. My question is, this will be about 4 weeks from my goal race, do I go all out? Its "only" a 5k right? Not going to do any harm is it?

jpdeaux

Yes. If by "all out" you mean race, then yes, you go all out. No, this will not do any harm, if by "do any harm" you mean hurt your chances of going all out in your goal race 5 weeks hence. It's a 5K. You'll be recovered within a week, if not sooner, and ready to race again.

Are you shooting for sub-19 on the 3rd?

djs

Yes I was just was a bit worried about overdoing it and putting back my training when I posted. Actually re reading the plan I am following it  backs off slightly next week, probably to give a slight recovery from training in order to enable a hard race effort. Thanks for the advice, I guess I will go for it on the night..To be honest I will be hoping to get very near 18.59, at least low 19 anyway. Not 100% sure where I am at as not experienced with training systematically for a fast 5k. Whatever this result when I have raced it I am going to have some concrete data to go on!

djs

19.06. Wow that was fantastic. I have a road time trial PB from the garmin at about 19.16 but net downhill, and a 19.36 on the track 4 years ago. So that's a good effort for me I reckon.  Did an 800m about an hour before, was going to do the 200m after but was a bit tight in the calves so gave that a miss. Still, 4 weeks out from goal race and in full training..ie ran 17km with intervals, 14km and 16km in the three days before this, so I reckon I can wring 7 more seconds out with a few more weeks of focused training and a taper in the last week of reduced volume and some sharpening...sorry stream of consciousness going on still on a bit of a post race high. Really should do this more often it is really fun!

Of course thinking back to the race, wow it was a world of pain. Now I remember how much a 5km can hurt. I went out too quick, a little young guy led the way, and we got to 200m in about 40 seconds and I thought, damn, really? that kids quick! should have been no more than 45 for an even pace. And then of course he slowed quickly so maybe that cost me a bit before I passed him, but hey its racing you have to go with the conditions right? Oh yeah, turns out the race was a 3k/5k combo so some folks were stopping at 3km. So  I passed my little mate again at about 2.8km, got into the home straight, and he went past me, then stopped at the 3k finish! Great finish from the little guy, don't know how old he is but he is small and obviously fast for his age! Also nice work from the other guys in the race who I only met the week before, they were all pulling into lane 2 as I approached them, giving me the easy passage..hmm must remember the guys won't be doing that in 4 weeks time, they will  be more likely trying to trip me :-) Lost count of laps by about 4 or 5, concentrated on garmin total workout pace, but it was hard to get a look at it at night, no energy to fiddle the light etc, but each km I got the split, and eventually couldn't think or calculate at all, and just listened to the timer at each lap, ugh he said 17.high at the last lap so I knew I had to do a bananas lap to get sub 18, oh well I am happy I finished it off pretty fast..eyes popping, spit all over my face, oh yeah, and when I got home realised I had my shirt on inside out..geez great probably cost me a few seconds in streamlining, all those exposed seams! :-)

Anyway, signing off, good luck guys, 18.xx here we come hey!!!

djs

I had an unplanned opportunity to do 5km fun run last weekend, so I had a go. Not ideal lead up because I did a pretty hard week, two interval sessions, and 12 miles the day before so trained through it..They gave me 19.14 but I think the course was short..garmin 4.87k. There were some turnarounds that tend to confuse my garmin though..Anyway good run for me and good to have a practice race leading up to goal race. This weeks main event is a 1500/3000 combo on the track Friday night. I am going to go for it in both events, should be a tough night! Would like to get around 11.20 for the 3k, no idea about the 1500..

djs

Turns out my club had an inter club  competition on the Saturday, and I couldn't make the Friday runs anyway. So I signed up for the inter club completion race on the Saturday (today) for 3km. Great fun met a guy who did the fun run last week, and doing the same race today. Obviously a small running community here in Sydney Australia! Any how cut to the chase, I did 10:57.24 electronic timing which was probably 15 sec better than I hoped for. Probably because I drafted behind my mate from the week  before for the first km If I am honest, it was a bit windy..Anyway if  you plug sub 11 3km into any calculator you choose and you will get something near 19 or sub 19 for 5km so I guess I am on track :-)

djs

Graduated last weekend, 5000m track race, 18:42.8. 3rd in age group too which was nice. Very happy with that. About 24 secobds off pb fron one month ago!

Mmmmm...beer

Great job djs!

I finally backed up my sub-19, ran an 18:54 (3 sec PR!) in the first 5k of a 10k last week.   Marathon training has been treating me well, looking forward to doing a 5k in Dec/Jan to see what I can really do now.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!