from diappointment to fired up (Read 144 times)

jmoxie

went out for a run Saturday and for some reason i just never found my stride or zone , whatever you call it. The 3.25 miles was a total bear and i was spent. My mindset was, ok its Saturday and i was gonna go a little further and try for 4 miles, but that never happened. I was really bummed.

Then come Monday morning I set out and for some reason feel really good. Get to 3 miles and I feel great and keep going get to 4 and still feel good and keep going to a toatl of 4.65 miles. And i still felt great but got  a bit scared that i went way further than before so i just stopped. But what a great feeling and rush this morning was.

Why couldnt i run like that on Saturday when i wanted to? is it normal to have great feeling days and poor days? the more I run will i experience more of those awesome feeling days?

an amazing likeness

It is normal to have good days and not-so-good days.

Every now and then, as rare as the best summer's evening sun setting over fields of lupine just starting to sparkle with lightening bugs, you'll have a run where the pace and miles are effortless.

Most runs are grinders, they're work.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

It is normal to have good days and not-so-good days.

Every now and then, as rare as the best summer's evening sun setting over fields of lupine just starting to sparkle with lightening bugs, you'll have a run where the pace and miles are effortless.

Most runs are grinders, they're work.

+1

beautifully said and very true. One day might suck and the next be great. We are not machines of course so there will be variability in how we feel and perform. Don't be afraid to stop or take walk breaks on the bad days and don't be afraid to push the pace or distance a little bit on the good days.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

I just logged tonight's run. It just sucked all the way around. The weather, the way I felt physically, my attitude, everything. Really very little about the experience apart from the social aspect of seeing a few friends was the least bit pleasurable. Having been at this a few years now, though, I'm not even slightly worried about it. It was just one of those things. Tomorrow will likely be 1,000 times better and I'll remember why I do this. Next week I might do the exact same run I did tonight in the exact same conditions, and it will be great. Don't worry too much about any one run. Another good one will come if you keep running. Lots of them, in fact.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.