Race plans - 10k, 5k then HM (Read 2160 times)

npaden

4 X 800m intervals at the house with 400m recoveries. Audio cues weren't working to tell me pace or HR so I tried to just go by feel. Didn't realize it was quite so warm out! 91 degrees, 32% humidity, DP 58, SE wind at 9 mph. Curious to see what my splits ended up. I felt like I might have pushed that last one a bit too hard. Overall avg pace 9:02, avg HR 155. Great workout.

Here's what my splits ended up.

Intervals Pace (min/mi) Elevation (ft)

0.50 mi(slow) 10:37 3
    0.50 mi(fast) 7:37 6
    0.25 mi(slow) 10:52 -0
    0.50 mi(fast) 7:13 -1
    0.25 mi(slow) 11:35 2
    0.50 mi(fast) 7:16 -3
    0.25 mi(slow) 11:14 2
    0.50 mi(fast) 7:04 -2
    0.50 mi(slow) 10:32 -5
    0.50 mi(slow) 10:16 -2

My pace on my intervals was a bit faster than I was thinking.

HR maxed at 169 (87%), 175 (90%), 179 (92%), and 184 (95%) at the end of each interval. 

Feeling pretty good about my 10K coming up this Saturday.  Can't decide if I should push it at 8:00 right from the start or go out at 8:15 and see how it goes and push it at the end if I have any left.

Tomorrow and Thursday will just be easy days and I'm going to take Friday off.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden

I posted this race result in the LowHR forum, but I thought I would post it here as well in case anyone is following this thread other than myself.

Okay.  Finally got a chance to sit down and type up a race report for my 10k this morning.

The cold front that was forecast came through early so instead of 20-25 mph winds they were 5-10 mph so that was a big boost right off the bat.  The race time temperature was 60 degrees so that was really nice too.  Humidity was a little higher than normal for this time of year for around here at 71%, but I'll take that with 60 degrees for the temperature!

I got there early enough to get in a good warmup.  I jogged a 1/2 mile then picked it up to race pace for about 3 or 4 minutes and then jogged about a 1/2 mile just to get loosened up and get the blood flowing. 

This race has a 2 mile and a 10k that start out together and it is sponsored a school and they typically have a lot of kids running in the 2 mile.  There were 163 finishers for the 2 miler and 104 finishers for the 10k for a total of 267 runners, which isn't very big compared to most races but with the official time being the gun and almost 100 of the 2 milers being 19 or younger it makes for a pretty chaotic start for a normal running club race. 

Anyway the gun went off and I was able to get through the first turn at about .2 miles mixed in with the mass of kids and avoided a big puddle on the turn and things started to even out a little.  A bunch of the kids that had sprinted at the start were slowing down and that required some attention to weave in and out of them, but not bad.  I had my phone set to give me audio cues every 1/4 mile because I was worried about pacing since I rarely run at race pace.  I was right on target at the first check in and pretty close the next few.  Still tricky getting through traffic, but the bulk of the crowd disappeared at the 1 mile turn around.  First mile was a tiny big slower than I was planning on with an 8:05 split.  My HR was a little higher than I'm used to, but I was feeling pretty good and I tried to keep the pace going.

The next mile we were spreading out and I thought I had a good pacer lined up ahead of me, but there was a group of guys ahead of him that were starting to lag and I slowed down with them.  I hung back thinking they were going at a better pace then ended up going around them somewhere in there and tried to pick the pace back up.  Made a mistake at the aid station grabbing a gatorade instead of a water (I didn't think they would have anything but water on such a short race).  I drank it and instantly regretted it.  Not a big fan of the full strength gatorade and it doesn't really sit well in my stomach.  Already looking forward to the next aid station at the turnaround to wash that nasty taste out of my mouth.  Still feeling pretty good, HR climbing a bit but hanging in there under 175.

Mile 3 was pretty uneventful.  Tried to lock in the pace and there wasn't anyone in front of me to really gauge my pace so just paid close attention to my audio cues on my phone.  HR climbing and past 175, but still feeling okay.  Starting to breath a little heavier, but not bad at all.

Mile 4 was the turnaround and got a swig of water at the aid station.  Knowing I was halfway done provided a boost and I decided to pick it up a little bit to try to get my avg pace down to 8:00.  There was a slight headwind going out and it was now at my back and that helped a little too.  HR pretty stable through here only going up 1 beat for the avg.

Mile 5 meant I was almost done. Somewhere in here I started to get consistent HR readings in the 180's.  I knew I could clock along for a while at that pace and felt like I had a pretty good rhthym going and knew I could keep this up.  Grabbed a swig of water at the aid station although I wasn't sure if I needed to or not.  Avg pace dropped under 8:00 on this mile and I really felt like I had my 50:00 goal in the bag.

Mile 6 I had a friend ahead of me a hundred yards or so that I've always thought was a good runner and I was gaining on her!  I was afraid to push much more than I already was, but I was thinking I might have a chance to catch up to her.  I picked it up a little bit, but didn't start going all out until I turned the corner with about 200 yards to go.  This is the first race that I really felt like I didn't really have much more to give at the end.  I dropped that last split by 30 seconds or so, but it just didn't feel like I had enough to sprint it in like I've done sometimes in previous races.  My wife said I wasn't picking up my knees and I looked tired.  I think I was tired!  I think part of it may have been that I saw the clock and knew that I had my 50:00 goal in the bag too.  I watched it click over to 49:00 and I was almost there! 

I ended up coming in with an official time of 49:18 for a 7:56 avg pace.  My last (and my only other) 10k was back in June and I finished it in 54:12 and really felt like I had given it everythign I had.  That's almost 5 minutes faster in 3 months!   Conditions were a little worse that day as the temperature that day was 65 degrees with 90% humidity and a 15 mph wind, but not dramatically different. 

Here's my splits and HR numbers.

Splits (GPS Interval)
       TypeDistance Split settingsDurationTotal DurationPaceAvg HRMax HRElevation
      1 Manual 1 mi 8:04.11 8:04.11 8:05 167 177  0
      2 Manual 1 mi 8:07.01 16:11.12 8:08 172 177  -1
      3 Manual 1 mi 8:00.39 24:11.51 8:01 176 179 -7 
      4 Manual 1 mi 7:53.84 32:05.35 7:54 177 181  10
      5 Manual 1 mi 7:49.16 39:54.51 7:50 180 184  -12
      6 Manual 1 mi 7:42.2 47:36.71 7:43 183 186  2
      7 Manual 0.24 mi 1:42.29 49:19 7:07 189 193

Very happy with the end result.  I ended up taking first in the Clydesdale division after age grading by a whopping 2 seconds!  I finished almost a minute behind the guy, but I'm a little older so the age grading put me ahead of him.  That helps remind me that I need to push it in to the finish liine even if there isn't anyone to pass there at the end.

Oh well, long rambling race report, but that's me.  Really looking like all the base training this summer at MAF is really paying off.  I have a 5k coming up next month and I'm feeling pretty good about my goal time on now.  My goal was to break 24:00 and according to McMillan's calculator my equivalent time based on this race is a 23:44 5k so that sure looks doable now.

That's it from my end.  Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Congratulations, Nathan!  A good run!!

Going over your report (past posts), I found it very interesting how you "comfortably" lowered your interval pace (I'm assuming you weren't consciously pushing each week) from barely sub-8 to almost down to 7-minute-per-mile pace.  This actually correspond with my argument of not liking "add XX seconds per mile to your current 5k pace" program.  Your workout, particularly with intervals, need to be built upon one workout to the next.  In other words, your first session of interval training will get you ready for the next one; and then the next and so on.  In most cases, far too many people try to stick with "add XX seconds per mile to your current 5k pace" and over-train from the get-go.

It seems like you progressed very well with your interval training so I would not make any comment with it (except maybe in the earlier post you said something like you just added one extra simply because you "felt like it".  You should never, EVER, do one more with intervals.  It's ALWAYS better to under-do intervals than over-doing it).  However, in regards to the overall FLOW of your program; I would not carry on a good volume of hard interval training all the way through the week of your race (unless this race was just a part of your training plan for more important race).  You should take the final week to 10 days as the Taper Phase to let your body be well-rested.  When you look at your progress, even though you seem to handle 7-minute pace easily, you don't seem to utilize that "speed" in your race (though the distance is a bit longer).  For the next race, you may be well if you put those intervals a bit earlier; say, if you do 3 to 4 weeks of those intervals maybe more like 7 to 8 weeks before the important race; and spend 3-4 weeks coordinating your endurance and speed that you had developed through intervals.  YOU can start with, say, something like 4k (10 laps around the track if you decide to do it on track) at 8-minute pace...or whatever you feel comfortable with, say, 80% effort.  If your target race is 10k, alternate 4k and 8k.  Just as you had progressed your interval pace from 8 minute down to 7, your tempo rhythm would progress one week to the next (if you do it right).  With the interval pace of 7-minute, you should be able to be racing more like 7:30 per mile pace.

For the final week, just do something like 1k at good 80% effort (not all out) or just 4 X 200m fast.  You had been following a pattern of doing one quality workout per week (interval or tempo) and a long run.  On the race week, you now introduced 2 quality effort (interval AND race).  Your body would get freaked out because it's not used to that pattern.  Keep one good quality effort and that should be your race.

Good luck and keep up with the good work.

npaden

Thanks for the input.  I replied in to your comments in bold

"Congratulations, Nathan!  A good run!!"

Thanks.

"Going over your report (past posts), I found it very interesting how you "comfortably" lowered your interval pace (I'm assuming you weren't consciously pushing each week) from barely sub-8 to almost down to 7-minute-per-mile pace.  This actually correspond with my argument of not liking "add XX seconds per mile to your current 5k pace" program.  Your workout, particularly with intervals, need to be built upon one workout to the next.  In other words, your first session of interval training will get you ready for the next one; and then the next and so on.  In most cases, far too many people try to stick with "add XX seconds per mile to your current 5k pace" and over-train from the get-go."

I think this was mainly due to the fact that I'd spent 3 months doing nothing but Low HR base building so my body responded very quickly when I did start adding in a little bit of speedwork.  I did start out with the "add XX seconds per mile to my current 5k pace" type setup and even fudged that a little bit on my first workout, but since I hadn't done anything but base build for 3 1/2 months I was able to pick up the pace each workout.

"It seems like you progressed very well with your interval training so I would not make any comment with it (except maybe in the earlier post you said something like you just added one extra simply because you "felt like it".  You should never, EVER, do one more with intervals.  It's ALWAYS better to under-do intervals than over-doing it).  However, in regards to the overall FLOW of your program; I would not carry on a good volume of hard interval training all the way through the week of your race (unless this race was just a part of your training plan for more important race).  You should take the final week to 10 days as the Taper Phase to let your body be well-rested.  When you look at your progress, even though you seem to handle 7-minute pace easily, you don't seem to utilize that "speed" in your race (though the distance is a bit longer)."

Originally this race was not a focus race for me at all.  I started out with a target of 52:00 with my focus being on the 5K that I'm running in October that I wanted to break 24:00 on.  It wasn't until I started doing the speedwork that I realized that I could maybe have a chance to break the 50:00 mark that I really started focusing on it.  Somewhere I read that you could still do speedwork up to 4 days before the race and that's why I moved my intervals to Tuesday last week when I had been doing them on Wednesday.  I did taper to some extent as I had been up in the 35 mpw range and last week I ended up less than 30 mpw including the race.   I guess I should skip the speed workout the week of the race in the future though. 

For the next race, you may be well if you put those intervals a bit earlier; say, if you do 3 to 4 weeks of those intervals maybe more like 7 to 8 weeks before the important race; and spend 3-4 weeks coordinating your endurance and speed that you had developed through intervals.  YOU can start with, say, something like 4k (10 laps around the track if you decide to do it on track) at 8-minute pace...or whatever you feel comfortable with, say, 80% effort.  If your target race is 10k, alternate 4k and 8k.  Just as you had progressed your interval pace from 8 minute down to 7, your tempo rhythm would progress one week to the next (if you do it right).  With the interval pace of 7-minute, you should be able to be racing more like 7:30 per mile pace.

I really don't feel like I truly got to an interval pace of 7 minute, that was only on one 800m split and I felt like I had pushed it on that particular split when it was all said and done.  I would say that I was running some 7:15ish intervals pretty easily though.  I'm doing my intervals off the track just using my phone and audio cues instead of at a track.  My phone can give me cues for about any distance although the shortest it will go is .25K.  My next race is the 5K coming up on October 13th (5 weeks from now), should I skip the interval sessions and just work on Tempo this month or throw in one more interval session this week?

For the final week, just do something like 1k at good 80% effort (not all out) or just 4 X 200m fast.  You had been following a pattern of doing one quality workout per week (interval or tempo) and a long run.  On the race week, you now introduced 2 quality effort (interval AND race).  Your body would get freaked out because it's not used to that pattern.  Keep one good quality effort and that should be your race.

Sounds good.  I didn't think to count the race as part of the plan as a quality effort.  I did throw some strides in on my easy runs last week as well so I really almost tripled up when it was all said and done.  I will skip the harder effort run the week of the race in the future.

Good luck and keep up with the good work.

Thanks.

npaden

I updated my training plan through through the 2nd week of November and my HM race if anyone wants to critique it.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/17b912e64ad246e9bbe4a270366a97f6/plans/d135dc87a7624efe9bba3fe9bad2f8a0

npaden

I’m back from my break for my hunting trip and am trying to get ready for my 5K coming up on October 13th.  I’ve got a tentative schedule on my training log, but would welcome any specific advice for my tougher mid week workouts.

Right now the tentative plan is for mid week Tempo runs with a 1 mile warm up then 3 miles at 10K race pace then a 1 mile cool down each week for the next two weeks.   Starting out I'm planning on increasing pace with a 8:00 first mile, 7:45 second mile and 7:30 last mile, but that might be pushing it too much and be too close to racing my workouts.

Plan is for 10 mile long runs on the weekends and the rest easy miles about 30 - 35 mpw total.  Race week I’m planning on 4x400m intervals at 60 seconds faster than 5K race pace with 250m recoveries.  The rest of the week is easy with some strides thrown in on my Thursday run and cutting miles each day that week by about 25% or 30%.  

I ran my 10K in 49:18 for a 7:56 avg pace, but my splits were 25:01 and 24:17 so I’m thinking I shouldn’t have any problem with a 24:00 goal that I had for the 5K and am thinking about trying to push myself as hard as possible.  I’m leaning toward going out at a 7:30 pace and trying to hold that the entire race for a 23:20 time.  If I blow up I should still be able to break 24:00 I would think which would for sure be a PR for me.

Should I throw in some 7:30 pace running anywhere in the next couple weeks just to see what that feels like or just stick with my plan?

Thanks for any input. 

Nathan

npaden

I ended up getting in my first one of these workouts last night although I really shouldn't have.  A thunderstorm was coming in and I thought I could beat it, but it came in faster than I thought and I was out there for the worst of it.  Wind was gusting big time to where I couldn't see at times with the rain and was running in water over my ankles at times.   Goal was a progressive tempo with 8:00, 7:45, and 7:30 splits on the middle miles, but I couldn't even hear my phone telling me the splits. I could just barely hear the high pitch noise for the mile splits telling me to pick up the pace but that was about it.  Glad I didn't get struck by lightning! Probably not the smartest thing I've done. It was a good workout anyway.

Here's my actual splits.  My HR monitor stuck at 174 there about halfway through so don't pay much attention to that, also I think the Max HR number on mile 3 is a bogus number as well.

Splits (GPS Interval)
                 TypeDistance Split settingsDurationTotal DurationPaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
                1 Manual 1 mi 9:25.35 9:25.35 9:26 137 148  
                2 Manual 1 mi 7:55.58 17:20.93 7:56 164 171  
                3 Manual 1 mi 7:57.43 25:18.36 7:58 176 198  
                4 Manual 1 mi 7:45.73 33:04.09 7:46 174 174  
                5 Manual 0.92 mi 8:15.91 41:20 9:00 174 174

Other than the torrential rain and fear of getting struck by lightning it actually went pretty well.  I didn't quite make my splits I was hoping for but under the circumstances I feel like they were close enough.  It was a tough workout, but I wasn't feeling like I was completely overdoing it or anything.

Was going to do a low HR easy run this morning, but the dirt roads I live on were a muddy mess and I actually made a smart decision and chose to wait until this evening to run on the treadmill instead.

Thanks in advance for any input.  Other than the fact that I'm crazy for running in that thunderstorm yesterday, I already know that.

npaden

Going to try to run that same workout again tomorrow. 0% chance of rain in the forecast tomorrow, but it is supposed to hit 87 degrees so it will still be a challenge. Any last minute advice?

You may have already gotten your run in, but, I would expect that it was/will be quite different than the last due to the temperature.  I've always noticed that higher temperatures have a negative effect on every type of quality workout that I have ever done.  At least for me, my body is working harder to keep cool, giving an elevated HR and just generally a poorer performance.  87F is pretty hot for a hard running workout of any type.

Here is an interesting page as far as race times vs. temperature:

http://runjeffcity.org/optimum-temperature/

npaden

I hadn't run when you posted, but I have now.  It only ended up being 84 degrees, but with a 14 mph breeze.

My HRM is broken from that last tempo run in the thunderstorm, but I'm pretty sure I ended up close to max on that last split of the Tempo.  Tough workout!

Made my splits though.

1.00 mi(slow) 9:46 -7
                      1.00 mi(steady) 7:49 -1
                      1.00 mi(steady) 7:40 0
                      1.00 mi(fast) 7:30 -0
                      1.00 mi(slow) 10:19 7
                      0:32(extra) 9:28 0

Probably pushed it too hard on this workout, but I have 10 days to recover before my race.  Normal race time temperature should be closer to 55 or so, which fits me a LOT better than 84 so I think there's a good chance I can make my goal time of a 7:30 pace.

That's 30 seconds to take off, but hopefully race conditions and cooler temps will help make it happen.

npaden

Ran 10.3 miles for my long run this weekend with a couple long hills. (200' elevation gain in about 1/2 mile on one and same elevation gain over about 1 1/2 miles on the other).  Probably ran too fast but it was a brisk morning (44 degrees) and it felt really good.  Ended up with a 9:17 avg pace.

Recovery run for 3 miles on the treadmill at a 10:20 pace last night.  Legs actually feel a little bit tired today and some yesterday (feels like the muscles are repairing or something, not really sore, just a tingly feeling).

Planning on some 400m intervals today as my last speedwork before my race Saturday.  Going to follow a workout off of McMillans site for 5K race week.  His workout calls for 3 x 400m at 5K goal pace with 100m recoveries, then 3 x 400m at 2 or 3 seconds faster than 5K goal pace with 200m recoveries, then 3 x 400m at 4 or 6 seconds faster than 5K goal pace with 400m recoveries.  Not a tough workout but getting the feel for some speed.

I'm going to bump my 5K goal pace up to 7:20 (that would be a 22:45 5K) and do the workout with the first set of intervals at 110 seconds each (7:20 pace), but then bump up the 2nd set to 105 seconds each (7:00 pace) and the last set at 100 seconds each (6:40 pace).  That's a bigger increase than he is calling for in his plan, but that will give me a chance to see what those types of paces are going to feel like anyway.

Still just mind boggling to me to think that I could run a sub 7:00 pace for a 5K (I just ran my first sub 8:00 pace on my 10K a month ago), but I'm going to push myself on this one even if I blow up.  Still not sure if I'm going to start out at a 7:15ish pace on the first mile then try to push it in from there or if I start out at 7:00 and see if I can hang on.

Remainder of race week after today will be all easy runs around 10:00 per mile or so.  Probably 6 miles Tuesday, 5 miles Wednesday and 4 miles Thursday and going to take Friday off.    Probably throw in some strides on my Wednesday workout.

npaden

Well, that was a little tougher than I thought.

Of course I don't do anything the correct easy way so I ended up doing my intervals at a park and running a loop of about a 1/4 mile.  I set my phone to do .25 kilometer recoveries, which comes out to around 250 meters.  Too much on the first 3 based on the plan, but I blew the pace on them anyway and the recoveries were needed.

First 3 were supposed to be at 7:20 pace and ended up 7:16, 6:50, and 7:01.  Way too fast on the 2nd one, wife was calling out my time as I ran the loop until my phone told me I was at the end of the interval.  Not sure if the interval ended up short or I ran too fast on that 2nd one or most likely both.

Next 3 were supposed to be at 7:00 pace and ended up at 6:59, 7:31 and 7:11.   Again, not sure what happened on the 2nd one of that set.  I don't remember one being that slow when my wife was calling them out.  I may have been dogging it a little on that one and the interval came out long or something.  Also note my recovery split start to blow up after that 7:31 split.  After the 7:11 split I was supposed to have a .25 mi recovery, but programed my phone for .25 km instead so I took it extra slow with the 13:58 pace, I walked most of it.

Last 3 were supposed to be at 6:40 pace and ended up at 6:35, 6:54, and 6:48.  These were full 400m recoveries and I sure needed them.  I was breathing hard at the end of each of them and walked the first 100m of the recoveries on them. 

Not sure how much running in the thick grass hurt my time, but it sure didn't help any.  The grass was soft and about 3" thick for the most part and the ground wasn't very level.  The setup allowed my wife to stand in the middle and call out my times pretty well, but a track would have been a LOT easier I think.  Football practices are going on now and the football fields are in the middle of the track at most of the schools so I couldn't think of an open track and this was what we came up with.  Of course as I was running in the uneven grass I thought of a couple tracks that we probably could have used but it was too late then.

Not sure if I really learned anything or accomplished anything with this workout when it was all said and done other than the fact that I struggle to keep an even pace during intervals.

Here's my splits.

1.00 mi(slow) 8:59 -2
                          0.25 mi(fast) 7:16 0
                          0.16 mi(slow) 9:07 0
                          0.25 mi(fast) 6:50 4
                          0.16 mi(slow) 8:44 -2
                          0.25 mi(fast) 7:01 2
                          0.16 mi(slow) 8:31 -4
                          0.25 mi(fast) 6:59 11
                          0.16 mi(slow) 10:03 -5
                          0.25 mi(fast) 7:31 -5
                          0.16 mi(slow) 11:25 4
                          0.25 mi(fast) 7:11 -0
                          0.16 mi(slow) 13:58 3
                          0.25 mi(fast) 6:35 -0
                          0.25 mi(slow) 11:29 -6
                          0.25 mi(fast) 6:54 5
                          0.25 mi(slow) 12:52 6
                          0.25 mi(fast) 6:48 -11
                          0.50 mi(slow) 11:08 6
                          1.00 mi(slow) 9:34 -5

That's my last hard workout before my race and I'm still not sure what pace to go out at.  I'm still leaning toward 7:15 and just see what happens.

npaden

Well I sure didn't make sub 23:00!

Not sure what the official time is going to be, but I went across the mat right as the clock ticked over to 24:00 so I'm not sure if it is going to be 23:59 or 24:00 on the dot.

Weather wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.  66 degrees, 74% humidity, DP 58. SSW wind at 19 mph. Went out too fast, and I didn't account for the energy it was going to take dodging all the little kids in front (a lot of high schools and jr. high runners were there). Also the 10k started 5 minutes before the 5k on the same course so I had to work my way through all the slow 10k runners. Wind was tough, plus still dealing with allergies. Lots of excuses but I just didn't have it this morning.

Forgot to stop my phone crossing the finish line as well.  I sure know what it feels like to blow up now though!  My splits were 6:55, 7:34 and 8:15!  I really wanted to walk on that 3rd mile but didn't.  :-(.

One positive thing though was that I got 1st place in the fat boy division!  Our running club is one of the few that still keeps a Clydesdale/Athena division and they age grade it.  Not sure how many runners were in my division, but the last couple years there has been 18 and 19 so I would think it was about the same today so 1st place was suprising.  I was expecting to finish somewhere in the top 3 but didn't expect 1st. 

Oh well, I did my best for what I had today. At least I didn't set the bar super high and post up a race result that will take me years to beat it! ;-)

Nathan

SMART Approach

Based on your 10K time, you may not be quite fit enough to break 23 but maybe on a good day. You needed to go out at around 7:30  pace.  Unless you have a very strong base, it is tough to recover from a very fast start.  I think you need more strength work outs. Your tempos you run are pretty aggressive. It would serve you well to develop your lactate threshold with maybe 4 mile tempos starting at 8:15 pace and working toward 7:45 pace. It is fine the last 400 meter to get to 5K  pace or 7:30-7:40 but doing any sustained miles at 7:30 or 7:40 is not tempo but more race like.  I think a work out like 5-6 X 1K at 7:50-8:00 pace with 90 sec recoveries would be great for building your stamina. OR work up to that work out. You can start with 2 min recoveries and 800m stretches.  Follow that up with 4 X 200m at 800m - 1 mile pace will do wonders for you without hammering you.  You get stamina and speed work out without creating a racelike work out. Good luck in your next race. Each race is a learning experience.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I think you're capable of a 23 minute 5k right now, you just need some practice racing them. If 7:25 is your 5k pace then going out in 6:55 is complete suicide.  That's like me taking a 5k out in 5:05 pace which, if I did, would likely result in a DNF with puking.

The 5k takes practice but the good news is the recovery is short so you can race them often.

Runners run