Need Advice - Balancing Marathon Training With a Vacation Cruise (Read 702 times)

OK folks, I need options and/or validation (your choice)... I've got my first marathon (Philly) planned for November, so I began my training program (went with a Runner's World program, goal time "to finish" - but hoping for somewhere around 4:15:00) on 8/4. So far, so good, no problems, other than me already obsessing over my ability to complete this distance. My longest race to date is 1/2 marathon distance. Looking down the road, in Week 12 I have my18 mile long run week while I will be floating in the Atlantic on a vacation cruise. I've been on this ship before, so I know that it has treadmills and a "running track." I have no worries about my runs during the week, as I will probably just knock them out on a treadmill. I am worried, though, about the long run, from an injury-potential viewpoint, as well as maintaining my sanity. The strategy I've thought of is to alternate the treadmill and the "track" in 4 or 5 mile distances (e.g. treadmill 1-4, track 5-8, TM 9-12, track 13-16, TM 16-18.) What do you all think? Am I worrying needlessly, is my plan rational or flawed? I already know that mixing the two wasn't the smartest thing to do, but there were no options between work, schedules, blah blah... I appreciate any thoughts you can throw my way.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Kimmie

why don't you run the 18 miler the week before? Schedules are good, but not set in stone. As long as you get it in, and you're not doing too many high mileage runs in consecutive weekends, you should be fine. Most plans have you build for a couple of weeks and then have a step down week. I would just see how feel the week before and switch it out. And then be happy to just maintain and have a lower mileage week while you're on vacation. That's just my opinion, of course.
        I think you're a stud for even trying it... But yeah, that's probably the best way to do it if that's what the situation is throwing you. M

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

mikeymike

why don't you run the 18 miler the week before? Schedules are good, but not set in stone. As long as you get it in, and you're not doing too many high mileage runs in consecutive weekends, you should be fine. Most plans have you build for a couple of weeks and then have a step down week. I would just see how feel the week before and switch it out. And then be happy to just maintain and have a lower mileage week while you're on vacation. That's just my opinion, of course.
          +1. I usually make it my goal to get in 75% of "normal" mileage when I'm travelling for work or vacation. Anything more than that is gravy.

Runners run

Outside Lane

Don' t count on being able to run on a treadmill on the cruise for more than 30 mins or so (unless you find a way go to do it when no one is there). When I went on a cruise, the treadmills were on high demand (got to work off of the food and booze). Also, you can't run on them at wierd hours because there are usually rooms right below them. Plan on lots of running on the track (it's probably better for you anyway - and you will be able to run with other runners - and you can be picking them off like you will do in your marathon).

See how they run...

I was on a cruise ship during one of my marathon training cycles last year, and managed to get in decent daily runs of 7-9 miles on the outdoor track. Considering the outdoor track was only 0.1 miles in length, I was doing 70 to 90 laps for each workout. On the plus side, I was never very far from the water bottles I left on the lounge chair next to the track. Personally, I don't think I would have attempted a long run. Long runs tend to sap my energy for much of the remaining day, and I really didn't want to miss out on any of the vacation fun. Also, the temperatures were pretty warm, this being a cruise through Central America -- not ideal running conditions, even in the early mornings. Still, I managed more than enough distance and consistency to maintain my fitness, and then picked up with the long run as soon as I got home. I went on to PR that marathon, for whatever that's worth.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Imminent Catastrophe

Like Kimmie said, take your long run before or after the cruise, training schedules aren't carved on stone tablets. Your training will not be hurt especially with 6 weeks to go. In fact taking the long run just after the cruise might be a good thing if you eat a bit too much during.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Thanks for the ideas and replies. Sometimes we get too close to our own situations and lose perspective... I tend to be a "but, it's my schedule kind of guy. Roll eyes I think I will look at the timing of the long runs and just adjust accordingly. It's definitely doable, with a number of weeks left until the race. And, I honestly hadn't considered the availability of the TM's - a very good point. Thanks for helping me sort it out. BTW: I pulled the trigger and registered for the race today... no backing out now!

#artbydmcbride

Big grin I have never managed to do longer than 7 miles on the ship "track", even starting at 4:30 in the morning I was dodging the guys and their hoses washing down the ship and later all the early morning walkers. And use your garmin, it is hilarious to see the sub 3 minute miles. Smile

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

I agree with this, too. Try to get the LR in before you go, then do what you can on the cruise. That way the running stress won't cut into your vacation fun.

Not at it at all. 

Queen of 3rd Place

Big grin And use your garmin, it is hilarious to see the sub 3 minute miles. Smile
                        Oooh, I've got to remember that one! What fun! Be careful if the seas pick up, I had a heck of a time staying on the treadmill on one cruise! Arla

Ex runner

Oooh, I've got to remember that one! What fun! Be careful if the seas pick up, I had a heck of a time staying on the treadmill on one cruise! Arla
                          Not exactly like "rolling hills" I guess? Big grin