A calorie is not a calorie (Read 1387 times)

I will step up my diet a notch ~ taking time to get a little more raw and less processed.  I will do this from now until the Middle of December and see if I notice anything.

Over the past 6 months I've cut back the amount of meat and processed foods that I eat, and have expanded by diet with a variety of vegetables and a lot more fruit (I'll admit that some of that comes from canned fruit cocktail though), and I definitely feel better having made the change. I know that I'm getting in WAY more nutrients that I did before, and even though I'm eating a lot of food and feel full after my big lunch, I don't have that gross fat feeling that I used to get from eating meals that are primarily meat or pasta based.

Around the same time that I started the new diet, I also started triathlon training. The first week or so was tough because I changed too many variables at the same time, but I took a recovery week to cut back training, add some pasta / rice back in, and got proper sleep; I haven't had a problem since. I've been working out anywhere from 1-3 times a day and I always feel light and have a lot more energy than I think I do. The human body is really efficient and amazing when it comes to calorie utilization. We really don't need to eat NEARLY as much as we tend to.

PRs: 5k - 18:34 (2010 Littleton Road Race) 10k - 41:40 (2010 Livestrong Philly) HM - 1:29:48 (2010 Hartford Half Marathon) M - 3:10:31 (2011 Big Sur International Marathon)

#artbydmcbride

Canned fruit cocktail!!!???  That has to worse than a Panera "bagel" for gosh sakes!    Big grin

Runners run

Canned fruit cocktail!!!???  That has to worse than a Panera "bagel" for gosh sakes!    Big grin

At Middle School XC meets, based on appearance and texture, I'd guess canned fruit cocktail is the number one food thrown up at the finish line. That's the one food I tell our kids not to eat before morning races. So, some eat skittles instead... go figure...

JoAnne Narayan

Hi,

I believe to burn out calories running, jogging . brisk walking are the best ways to lose weight. This is the right way to keep yourself fit and remain healthy in life.

Hi,

I believe to burn out calories running, jogging . brisk walking are the best ways to lose weight. This is the right way to keep yourself fit and remain healthy in life.

I'm not so sure about this anymore... especially as I age.  It appears that for weight control, it's mostly about your diet. For fitness/strength/etc, it's about the exercise.  Otherwise,there's no explanation for the amount of "chubby" people that line up to run marathons. 

My co-workers comment to me frequently that I must be able to eat what ever and how ever much i want because of all the running I do. In reality, I can easily gain weight running 80 miles/week.  

I'm not so sure about this anymore... especially as I age.  It appears that for weight control, it's mostly about your diet. For fitness/strength/etc, it's about the exercise.  Otherwise,there's no explanation for the amount of "chubby" people that line up to run marathons. 

My co-workers comment to me frequently that I must be able to eat what ever and how ever much i want because of all the running I do. In reality, I can easily gain weight running 80 miles/week.  

Same here--I'm 28, but even at 70-80 miles a week, I have to watch what I eat or I can easily pack on weight.  I more or less hate people who can eat whatever they want and be skinny.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

jules2

Sometime ago I read that once you get past 40 odd if you maintain the same diet and exercise regime you will steadily put on weight as your body has passed from the growing stage to the maintanance stage.  One thing I've noticed is that average life expectancy seems to be rising in line with the number of health warnings about smoking, drinking, diet etc  whereas you would really expect it to be the opposite wouldn't you? PS how are you Ilene?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

bhearn

Same here--I'm 28, but even at 70-80 miles a week, I have to watch what I eat or I can easily pack on weight.  I more or less hate people who can eat whatever they want and be skinny.

Same here. But it's way easier to maintain weight at 70mpw than it is when I'm injured and can't run.

I am one of them you are hating...

Well, actually I probably just don't eat enough. If I stop running/working out, I keep losing weight. I don't have desire to eat more. I don't like any sweet food (chocolate, cake, ice cream etc) except natural fruits.

I am trying to gain weight (well muscle).

Trust me! Gaining weight for skinny people is probably harder than people who try to lose weight.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

I used to be jealous of those folks who could eat whatever and not gain.  Then I wound up with anemia without knowing it, and I became one of them.  I tried to eat more, but nothing was helping. I was weighing myself to try to make sure I wasn't losing more weight. It wasn't fun.  I stopped being jealous.

Now that my iron levels are getting back to normal, I'm getting back to running more miles and watching what I'm eating.  I much prefer this method. Maybe because it is in my comfort zone. Maybe because I feel healthier and stronger. In any case, either way is work and balance is the key. 

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

I used to be jealous of those folks who could eat whatever and not gain.  Then I wound up with anemia without knowing it, and I became one of them.  I tried to eat more, but nothing was helping. I was weighing myself to try to make sure I wasn't losing more weight. It wasn't fun.  I stopped being jealous.

Now that my iron levels are getting back to normal, I'm getting back to running more miles and watching what I'm eating.  I much prefer this method. Maybe because it is in my comfort zone. Maybe because I feel healthier and stronger. In any case, either way is work and balance is the key. 

Way to go, Cassie, making me look on the bright side... 

*grumble*

Wink

Glad you're feeling healthier, too.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                        Emil Zatopek

Sometime ago I read that once you get past 40 odd if you maintain the same diet and exercise regime you will steadily put on weight as your body has passed from the growing stage to the maintanance stage.  One thing I've noticed is that average life expectancy seems to be rising in line with the number of health warnings about smoking, drinking, diet etc  whereas you would really expect it to be the opposite wouldn't you? PS how are you Ilene?

Right around 40 is when I discovered that I do, in fact, love beer. Before that, it was just rum & diet coke. I'm now wishing I had never started with the beer, but what's done is done. Dammit.