How Many Pairs of Running Shoes do You Buy Per year??? (Read 330 times)

For my statistics graduate class, I need to collect data on related variables

If you are willing to help, please share your average weekly mileage during normal training and the number of pairs of running shoes you buy per year. Thank you!!!

GinnyinPA

Last year was about 25 mpw average (1268 total); this year has been 36 mpw average (782 so far).  I try to retire shoes when they have about 450-500 miles.  I currently have 4 pairs in rotation with between 135 and 389 miles on them.  I track them on the training log.

Half Fanatic #846

I average buying 2 pairs of running shoes per year and run about 1200 miles per year. But about 500 of those annual miles are without shoes, so lets say 350 miles per pair of Skechers running shoes; however now I have a pair of Merrells that I expect to get about 1200 miles out of...there are a multitude of variables.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I usually buy 2 pairs of shoes per year. I ran just over 1200 miles last year and expect to do the same this year. My winter mileage isn't as high as my summer mileage.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Evolving body parts

I've run about 1000 miles last year and now that I'm using lighter shoes (Nike Frees), I need to retire shoes at about 500-600 miles. That comes to about 2 pairs per year, but like others, I have several pairs to rotate (trail, winter, road, a fresh pair for races etc). At the 500-600 mile mark I start to feel a noticeable ache in my knees, plus the upper mesh starts to disintegrate. Soles look fine though.

My mileage may not be typical, as I'm tall and heavy.

I've been averaging just under 30mpw (1500 mi/yr) for the last couple years. My current shoes (Xodus 3) get 800-900 miles (and still going), so you could say I use 2 pairs per year.

However, you asked how many pairs I *buy* per year, and that depends on whether I've got shoes that work for me. These Xodus's (just opened my 7th pair) I stockpiled from a couple years ago before they disappeared. In that same time frame, I've probably bought another couple pairs each year of shoes that seemed to work, but not doing as well as my Xodus - or not doing well at all, but have <100 mi on them. And most of my shoes have gotten <500 miles on them. So I probably buy from 2 to 4 or 5 pairs per year, in general.

I'll generally rotate 3 - 5 pairs of shoes, some same model, some different.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

It depends on if I hurt myself and have to cut back or take a break.  If everything is going well I run between 50 and 75 miles per week, 5 pairs of shoes per year.

Leah, mother of dogs

MilesDog

I ran over 500 miles last year and over 700 so far this year without shoes. Even if I wore shoes, I couldn't buy them since I am currently unemployed and work as a volunteer in the security and companionship field. It puts food in my dish and I get an abundance of toys and treats but that's it.  I think shoes would be kind of clunky so I will continue to go barefoot.

delicate flower

On average, 50 miles per week and 6-7 pairs of shoes per year.  I am not a shoe whore.  I currently have two pairs in the rotation.

<3

xhristopher

Lots.

Lots.

+1  I love running shoes.

mikeymike

I don't think I do any "normal training" so I can't help. Good luck though.

Runners run

1 pair, but I rotate the laces.

Netizen Kane

+1  I love running shoes.

+1 - currently 15 active pairs. So, too many, but many more I want to try - NB fresh foam, the new Hoka Clifton, 5 lug Newtons…

npaden

My weekly average for the last 2.41667 years is 39.256 miles per week assuming 52 weeks in a year.

How many shoes I buy is harder to quantify.  I buy more shoes than I "use up" for sure.  Sometimes I'll buy a shoe that just doesn't work out.  I have several barely used shoes that sit there begging to be taken out for a run that I just don't prefer anymore.  I even have a pair that I never took out of the box after buying 2 identical pairs and deciding that the 1st pair wasn't for me after a couple hundred miles.

If you limit it to just the shoes that "worked out", I'm averaging 547 miles per shoe.

39.256 miles per week X 52 weeks = 2,041 miles a year divided by 547 miles per shoe = 3.73 shoes per year.

If you count the shoes that "didn't work out", add 1 or 2 to that number.  Wink

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)