Bloody lungs (Read 532 times)

It would help if one of our cats didn't insist upon sleeping on my pillow when my head is also on it.  Can't lock him out of the room, as he will cry and scratch at the door ALL night long.  He's a dick. Roll eyes

LOL, my wife calls this "butt face", because one of our cats ALWAYS possitions himself with his butt in her face. It is bad enough that he has his own pillow on the bed. I sleep on my side of the bed, curled up with our Pug. My wife sleeps in the middle, and the cat gets her side of the bed...  Joking

Docket_Rocket

LOL, my wife calls this "butt face", because one of our cats ALWAYS possitions himself with his butt in her face. It is bad enough that he has his own pillow on the bed. I sleep on my side of the bed, curled up with our Pug. My wife sleeps in the middle, and the cat gets her side of the bed...  Joking

We had to get a King sized bed, not for us but for the 5 cats.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We had to get a King sized bed, not for us but for the 5 cats.

A larger bed wouldn't even help me in the battle against jerk cat.  When I'm in the bed alone he refuses to sleep on DH's half and still insists upon stealing my pillow.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

drrbradford

GP prescribed an inhaler and omeprazole. Let's see how they go.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

GP prescribed an inhaler and omeprazole. Let's see how they go.

That's interesting.  I've read a bit about GERD and asthma.  I'll be interested to hear how that works.  Is the inhaler a steroid or rescue/albuterol?  Hope you feel some improvement really fast.

~ Sarah Kay

Docket_Rocket

I think there is a high percentage of asthma patients with reflux.  If Oneprazole does not work, try Pantoprazole. I am at the highest dose and still cough every day from the asthma/reflux combo.

Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My mom and brother both have chronic reflux/heartburn issues.  I don't *think* I do.  Is it possible to have something like this and not know it?

~ Sarah Kay

Docket_Rocket

My mom and brother both have chronic reflux/heartburn issues.  I don't *think* I do.  Is it possible to have something like this and not know it?

It took my doctor 6 months to figure out the cough I had was more reflux affecting asthma than asthma alone, so you might.  Do you ever get nauseous while running?  Do you get an asthma-like cough or the sniffles after dinner?  I know milk and orange juice create phlegm but the feeling is similar to when you consume those and have asthma.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...not that I can recall.  Only times I get nauseous running are during races and hard efforts.  Never noticed symptoms after eating.

~ Sarah Kay

Docket_Rocket

I found out by luck, so you might not have it but you won't know for sure.  If the medication works well, I wouldn't worry.  My medication was not enough to prevent any asthma attacks which is why the doctor had to find another reason for that (during the Berlin Marathon I used the rescue inhaler 4 times--8 pumps) and I still couldn't breathe.  Today, I don't even use the rescue inhaler at all.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

drrbradford

I've had a course of ranitidine in the past which I found helped my running a surprising amount. Obviously, no dealing with reflux when I was running (which a couple of times was bad enough to make me vomit) was the primary effect. However, I also noticed that I had far fewer sinus issues which had previously plagued me for years.

I had my first interval session last night and not having to worry about getting reflux made me relax; really got into the session. Probably just as important as not actually getting the reflux in some respects. I tend not to run until 6/7pm so teatime usually ends up being 8/9pm. Stuck between eating a proper meal or staying up late to give food time to settle.

The inhaler is a relief one; albuterol. Didn't need it last night as I didn't push too hard in the intervals. I'm racing next weekend so will see if my lungs kick up a fuss then.

EDIT: to remove a kneejerk reaction.

P.S. Eric asked me kindly to change the thread title. I did because he asked without preaching to me about how offensive I was being. Hint fucking hint.

Lol Smile

I'm a (newly retired) Navy sailor so I take 0 offense to any damn cursing.    To my understanding, cursing in general when it is not directed at a person is just fine, and therefore, not offensive at all.   I understand why you used a curseword in your title previously.  Merely colorful language.

Eric is a superb guy and does a great job of running the forum.  Therefore I don't curse at all when I visit this site out of respect.   (Okay, I don't curse much...)

Wishing you great luck with running, especially in the fall when the temps cool down!   Cooler weather makes for much better running weather for most folks.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

kcam

Not bloody as in haema*, bloody as in British.

I think I've developed asthma or some kind of allergy. New hometown is dry and we've had a relatively warm summer in Britain this year (mid twenties). Having visited my parents for two days where it's been raining and ten degrees cooler, my runs have been so easy and feel like I can actually use my lungs without them feeling like they've been attacked by a cheese grater. Throw in some sinusitis, migraines, water retention and terrible acid reflux to be left with one unhappy bunny who cannot train to the level he used to.

I don't know ever know why I'm posting other than out of frustration at my body putting forward a new weakest link.

<relief>  I read the title and was like 'dude, get off the internet and get yer ass to the hospital,now!'.  I guess that Wore Down Cartilege thread has me on pins and needles.

Latent Runner

I'm a (newly retired) Navy sailor so I take 0 offense to any damn cursing.

During my time in the Marines (back in the 1970s), I learned that Navy Chiefs were much better at cursing than pretty much any Marine Sargent, I mean, geez, I think those Chiefs could invent new curse words on the fly to perfectly fit any situation.  Smile

FWIW, my son joined the Navy in May and is due to ship out for Great Lakes in early January.

Semper-Fi.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                              • 2-mile: 13:49
                              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                              • 5-Mile: 37:24
                              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                              drrbradford

An update:

A short course of flucloxacillin for a leg abscess and a massive reduction in my fibre intake has sorted out all my heartburn, slow-transit constipation and chest problems. The effect of inhalers and anti-histamines is now negligible and training has been going very well.