shoulder/neck tension (Read 112 times)

Chi-townRunner

Anybody have any ideas to reduce shoulder tension after running? I've been trying to be more conscious about getting myself to not hunch my shoulders up while I run by shaking them out, but it doesn't seem to help. I do neck and shoulder stretches, but I just need a little something more to help, any ideas? Anyone? Bueller?

Where is the tension exactly?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

It could just be that you're carrying your arms too high. For me, as I get tired during a longer run I have to be aware of how high I'm carrying my arms. I'll catch myself running with my arms way up higher than they normally are, which causes my shoulders to hunch in the way you describe. It's definitely something I have to be mindful of, but it's an easy fix. Practicing an easy, relaxed, efficient (slightly lower) arm swing might help. Worth a try, anyway.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Mantas

It maybe that your running technique is not the best, also core muscles maybe weak. Take a look at your running technique, stretching and core exercise.

For the first .5 mile or so just run with your arms STRAIGHT by your side. Its a little awkward at first but you get used to it.

BimBamBooh

Hard to say why do you have pain in your shoulders, when we do not see your running technique. I guess that the reason is one of them:

• bad running technique - swinging arms way to many. Heal strike also costs wrong arm swings.
              • pure core muscles.
              Chi-townRunner

True, it would be difficult to analyze without a video, but most of the tension is on my shoulders near where my neckline is.

So this is only after you run?  You don't feel it while you're running?  Do you do any strength training?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it