Experiences racing a marathon with no additional nutrition? (Read 85 times)

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

I've got a buddy who's been doing my Saturday morning club run for several years.  He ran a few marathons back in his 20's, but he's in his 40's now, so it's been a while.  He's planning on running two marathons this fall, and would like to go for a BQ on the second one.  To avoid GI issues, he only brings water on our Saturday morning runs, regardless of distance.  We've gone up to 21 miles, and he's shown absolutely no fade, so it's working for him.  He recently said all he has before we meet for our run is some unsweetened tea, again to avoid GI issues, so when we head out for our long runs, he hasn't taken any real calories for 10-12 hours.  He's wondering if he can do this before his marathons, or whether trying to race 26.2 miles on an empty stomach is a recipe for disaster.  I have no idea.  Before my fulls, I usually eat a bagel and a few other carbs, and I usually take a few gels during the race itself, although I've been decreasing the number of those recently, with no ill effects.  I've never tried not eating something, at least not in a full which was a goal race.

Has anyone taken no gels/chews/whatever during a full marathon and still done well?  Anyone ever raced a full on an empty stomach?  Experiences?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In the olden days that's the way it was done.  When I first started running marathons there were no aid stations or water stops.  Some even advised against drinking.  I've run sub-3:00 under those conditions.  I'd eat my normal breakfast, but nothing after that until after I finished.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Still kicking

I'm with WC, back in the 80's that's the way it was done. Water, and sometimes the larger races offered Gatorade. I did my first twenty or so marathons like this, including going sub 3 and BQ. Nutrition wasn't really a thing until the 90's.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

I've heard of people running fast marathons on nothing but water and I don't doubt it can be done, for the properly-trained runner.  Even accepting that though, I'm wondering about the "no breakfast" part as well.  I've never heard of anyone doing that and not hitting a massive wall.  Have you tried that part as well?

paul2432

Yes, it can be done as others have noted.  However, it is definitely not optimal.  If he is close on the BQ he might not make it where he otherwise would.

A few things:

1) What works on an easy long run might not work at marathon effort.  Try a long run with some hard efforts (say 13-15 at goal marathon pace, or 4 at half marathon pace early and another 4 at HMP towards the end).

2)  The digestive system, like other bodily systems, is trainable. By not taking in calories on long runs, he is missing out on chances to train the gut.  He's also missing out on trying different types of nutrition to see what works.

3) I like to eat breakfast, but usually do it 2-4 hours before the start to give my stomach a chance to settle.

In the olden days that's the way it was done.  When I first started running marathons there were no aid stations or water stops.  Some even advised against drinking.  I've run sub-3:00 under those conditions.  I'd eat my normal breakfast, but nothing after that until after I finished.

Was your normal breakfast unsweetened tea? That’s what this guy’s talking about.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Was your normal breakfast unsweetened tea? That’s what this guy’s talking about.

That was a separate question. He asked if anyone had run a marathon without taking in any calories.  That's what I answered.  I added that I ate a normal breakfast so he would know I didn't run in a fasted state.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

I guess another question is while you can do it without carbs, would you he significantly faster if you did add that.  This guy is likely burning fat nicely and if he then added some carbs on race day after practicing, that could give him the kick.  Of course, not without practice.  Or maybe he has some crazy glycogen storage or fat burning ability or runs low intensity.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

slingrunner

I've got a buddy who's been doing my Saturday morning club run for several years.  He ran a few marathons back in his 20's, but he's in his 40's now, so it's been a while.  He's planning on running two marathons this fall, and would like to go for a BQ on the second one.  To avoid GI issues, he only brings water on our Saturday morning runs, regardless of distance.  We've gone up to 21 miles, and he's shown absolutely no fade, so it's working for him.  He recently said all he has before we meet for our run is some unsweetened tea, again to avoid GI issues, so when we head out for our long runs, he hasn't taken any real calories for 10-12 hours.  He's wondering if he can do this before his marathons, or whether trying to race 26.2 miles on an empty stomach is a recipe for disaster.  I have no idea.  Before my fulls, I usually eat a bagel and a few other carbs, and I usually take a few gels during the race itself, although I've been decreasing the number of those recently, with no ill effects.  I've never tried not eating something, at least not in a full which was a goal race.

Has anyone taken no gels/chews/whatever during a full marathon and still done well?  Anyone ever raced a full on an empty stomach?  Experiences?

The ability to go up to 21 miles with only water doesn't impress me.  Nearly anybody should be able to do that.  The nutrition is mostly for the last 5 miles.

Is it possible he's some sort of freak that can run his best marathon without any fueling?  I guess.  Is the fact that he can go up to 21 miles at a pace below his marathon pace evidence he is that aforementioned freak?  Absolutely not.  He should experiment with some different fueling options that may be easy on his stomach.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)