Sara & Anna's Race Report (Read 1250 times)

November 11, 2007 - St. Louis Track Club & Special Olympics Half Marathon, 5K and 1/2 Mile Youth Run A few months ago I signed up to run the SLTC Half Marathon, thinking it would be a good way to keep myself motivated and running after doing the L&C Half in September. I also noticed that there would be a 1/2 Mile Youth Run that morning sponsored by Special Olympics. I immediately called my mom and asked her if Anna would be interested in "running" a race that morning too. She said yes and we signed up. Let me back up a minute. Anna is my cousin's daughter. She is 3 years old (will be 4 in January) and has spina bifida. She was born with a gap in her spine and is paralyzed from the chest down. My mother has practically adopted the kid and has been trying to get Anna to be more social and outgoing. She's incredibly smart, creative, funny and talkative - but very very shy. Here's a picture of Anna - talk about adorable. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Being my mom's only daughter, she talks about me to Anna all the time. My running is one of thier favorite topics. She tells her about my races and shows her all my race photos. She puts her on the phone with us when we discuss my training and runs. So Anna was excited that she was going to run her first race. She would practice "going fast" where ever she could - especially through the aisles at the grocery store and down wheelchair ramps. My mom took her to the local high school track so they could do a lap and "train" for the upcoming race. The night before, she even had a pasta dinner to get her necessary carbs. Wink Race morning came and they were up at 4 am to get ready and drive to St. Louis. Anna told my mom that she didn't realize she'd be running in the dark! Start time for the Half was 8:00 and start time for the Youth Run was 8:45. I was much more concerned with Anna having a good race than me, and I didn't want to miss it, so I traded in my Half bib for a 5K bib and knew I could make it back in time to see her run if I finished in 30 minutes (I'm slow, but that seemed doable). Here's us at the starting line. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Yes, she wore bunny slipper to make her fast (b/c rabbits are really fast). There was only one word to describe my 5K...HILLY. Man, it sucked. But I managed to finish right at 30 minutes and ran straight to Anna's start line. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket At the whistle, she was OFF. My mom ran behind her and helped her go up the hills and over the speedbumps, but she did most of it herself. When they got around the building at the top of the hill, it was a straight shot downhill to the finish line. She was FLYING!! Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Seriously, she almost took out that little girl next to her. Big grin When she went around the corner, I swear she went up on one wheel! And was smiling the whole time! She crossed the finish line and got her medal. I've never seen anyone so proud of anything. She showed it to every single person we passed. Mom said she even slept with it last night. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket I think we'll be doing this again soon. Sara
      Sara, what a great report. It was so thoughful of you to think of Anna and switch to the 5K to see her run. What a sweetheart she is... those bunny slippers are adorable! I think you made a huge impact on her yesterday and gave her something to be very proud of. Thanks for the inspirational report!
      va

Sara, I'm all choked up and smiling at the same time. What a great story!
          Ditto on this!! AWESOME just AWESOME!! MTA: BOTH of you are so freaken cute!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Best race report - ever - thanks so much for sharing Smile She is adorable Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Thanks everyone! We had so much fun! I'm trying to find a local Turkey Trot for us to do over Thanksgiving weekend. And I'd love to find a race where she could see other runners in wheelchairs...I think that'd be good for her. This could definitely be a great sport for her.
                Best race report - ever - thanks so much for sharing Smile She is adorable Smile
                Wow. Cheryl already said it. Thanks Sara - not only for getting Anna interested in running - but for sharing the story with us. My daughter has some of those slippers when she was that age. I agree - they do make you faster!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

That...was...awesome! Thanks for sharing with us! All the best to Anna! What a doll she is! Smile
                    I was loving the bunny slippers before I got to your explanation, and loving them even more after. You'll probably want to get the little speed demon a pink helmet (with bunny stickers of course), and front and side airbags while you're at it. NASCAR gots nuthin on Anna. Smile I have to agree this is the best race report ever, thanks so much for sharing it.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Another Passion

You are incredible, Sara... notwithstanding the attorney thingy! Wink That is one of the neatest things I have ever heard. You're something special, as is Anna. Let her know that I will be running a 10k in Richmond on Thanksgiving day and will be thinking of her and her awesome race to inspire me. Wink Thanks so much for sharing that with us. Smile

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

That's a great story! Thanks for sharing it!

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

You are incredible, Sara... notwithstanding the attorney thingy! Wink That is one of the neatest things I have ever heard. You're something special, as is Anna. Let her know that I will be running a 10k in Richmond on Thanksgiving day and will be thinking of her and her awesome race to inspire me. Wink Thanks so much for sharing that with us. Smile
                          Thank you, but it's not me that's amazing, it's Anna and my mom. I love Anna to death, but it's my mom that has been there for her and takes such amazing care of her. Those two are practically joined at the hip - they do everything together. I'll definitely let Anna know that she'll be thought of on your upcoming race...best of luck in Richmond.
                            Way to go Sara!!!! YOu (and none of us) will ever know the impact you had on Anna that morning! Thanks so much for sharing your race with us.
                            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And I'd love to find a race where she could see other runners in wheelchairs...I think that'd be good for her. This could definitely be a great sport for her.
                              You know...there's a wheelchair division for the Grand Rapids Marathon...you come run that with us next year and bring little Anna along to cheer! Big grin Oh, she is really precious and your report has me all misty! How does anyone say no to her with those beautiful blue eyes? She's absolutely cherubic! Thanks for sharing that race report with us--you both did so awesomely! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jeffrey

Thanks for the report. Cute bunny slippers and that's funny about sleeping with her medal - our 3yo barely has enough room in her bed - so much stuff! Smile