Should every race be raced? (Read 377 times)

I am hoping to beat my 10k PR in about a month's time at the Tara Kinder 10k (http://www.tarakinder10k.co.uk/) There's no reason why I shouldn't. I've been running seriously for less than 2 years and my PR (46:25 mins) was set at the Tara Kinder last year. It's a very flat course.

However, I have also entered the Colin Potter Memorial 10k in a fortnight's time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I94_Q-MjXoc), mainly because it has a good party atmosphere surrounding it and a few people from work will be there.

Here's the (minor) thing: I do not want my efforts in the first 10k to undermine my efforts in the second. I want to arrive at the Tara Kinder 10k in optimum condition, and really SMASH that PR. So how should I treat the first 10k? Should I go all out (as I invariably do when it's a race and I'm running with people I like to beat) and to hell with it? Or should I take it easy? Is it even possible to 'take it easy' in a race? Is there a middle way between 'all out' and 'taking it easy' in a race? Should I give my number to someone else and go for a training run instead?

In other words, what are the subtleties involved in using a race for training purposes?

Thanks

Ciaran

Never been to the Americas, but how many of you guys have ever been to Derby?

joescott

2 weeks between races it sounds like?

I'd race it.  But that's just me.  I'm planning on racing a 5k as hard as I can go on July 4 with target races on July 12 (1500m) and July 14 (5000m).

Good luck!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

MoBramExam

Probably not a big deal what you do in a 10K a fortnight before, it will be what you do all those "fortdays" in between that will determine how fresh you will be.

A Saucy Wench

I dont think it is unreasonable to race 10K's that distance apart.  That being said you can do other things.

I find the only way to do middle effort in a race is to find someone who wants to be paced - maybe someone from work?

.  Ideally someone whose goal is 10 seconds per mile or so slower than your goal.  But slower works too if you want an easy run that day.  When your responsibility is to someone else you can ditch the race mindset

MTA:  and helping someone find a long sought PR is as fun as getting your own.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

With 2 weeks in between you can definitely race both all out. Just don't taper for the first--that will prevent you from being able to go to the well and needing extra recovery.

Runners run

Mysecondnewname

I'd race it.  But that's just me.  I'm planning on racing a 5k as hard as I can go on July 4 with target races on July 12 (1500m) and July 14 (5000m).

Good luck!

Lenexa Freedom Run by any chance?

drrbradford

Run the first one as hard as you can. You'll reset your psychological threshold of what you can achieve. More than likely you'll finish the first 10k and think "oh, I totally had a bit more in the tank". Two weeks later you can reach even deeper into yourself to get that little bit of extra.

Not every race should be raced, but in this case it would stand you in good stead to smash them both.

joescott

Lenexa Freedom Run by any chance?

Indeed.  Smile   You?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

With 2 weeks in between you can definitely race both all out. Just don't taper for the first--that will prevent you from being able to go to the well and needing extra recovery.

Very smart strategy.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Thanks, everyone.

I like the idea of racing both. Knowing what I'm like I would have ended up racing the first one anyway, but without a prior mental commitment to racing might have dithered for the first km or so. Will go for this one I think.

Also like the idea of pacing someone else. I forget sometimes that there are other runners out there! They have needs too, I guess!

I'll post my times for the two 10ks for information.

Cheers

Ciaran

Never been to the Americas, but how many of you guys have ever been to Derby?

DoppleBock

Truthfully, it takes me a couple of tries at a race distance to do well at it.  If you race both, my guess is you will do better at the 2nd.  I would race both.

Good luck!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

drrbradford

Truthfully, it takes me a couple of tries at a race distance to do well at it.  If you race both, my guess is you will do better at the 2nd.  I would race both.

Couldn't agree more.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I'd go ahead a race both as well. You never know what kind of race conditions you will be facing and if you hold back for the first, but then encounter nasty stuff like super high temperatures for the second race, you'll be kicking yourself.

Last month I ran 2 5k races 2 weeks apart. For the first, I was wishing I hadn't signed up in advance because the day was cold and rainy. I ended up with an all time PR for that one. I was ready to go even faster 2 weeks later, but that day the temperature was over 80 with bright sun and high humidity. I was sure glad I had the earlier race time on the record books.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Based upon subject alone - No

Many people who race frequently have goal races and other races. Very often a non-goal race means that you'll employ little to no taper and "run through" the race.

Many people who have or had coaches have goals that are not (PR) Time related when racing.

• Maintain contact and try to kick, regardless of time.
                              • Run even splits
                              • Run negative splits
                              • Run the first X part hard then coast in.

There are many advantages to work on parts of your running, not time, while in a race atmosphere. Races provide more people to run with than solo or even small group running. As an example, the idea of pacing/drafting off someone only works if someone exists and someone can run a challenging pace for you.

There are people out there who have metrics around running. For every mile of racing you should take 1 day before racing again.

IE. Marathon means don't race again for 26 days; 5K means don't race again for 3 days.

All of this is general, vs. your specific question, but they may help formulate the answer.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                              Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

I bet you come back and say you PR'd both races. I would certainly try to PR both.