For Runners, Soft Ground Can Be Hard on the Body (Read 1068 times)

"run" "2" "eat"

hello, jeff.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

"run" "2" "eat"

top o' the page to ya!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

"run" "2" "eat"

p.s. i prefer soft ground and hard bodies.

Why is it sideways?

top o' the page to ya!

You have a special gift.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is a very poor article

I totally disagree.  I mean c'mon.  It includes the line: "Most road races are on hard roadways"

Genyus.  Pure brilliant genyus.

L Train

Most pop tarts are not tart. 

Why is it sideways?

At least no one can question the truth of that claim.

Marylander

I firmly believe (in my own experiment of one) that running on softer surfaces is less hard on my body (especially the knees) & that the trailrunning I do helps strengthen the muscles used for running, especially the foot muscles.   asphalt is hard & ungiving & can also be uneven & I am just as prone to twist something.  Many of our roads around here are very cambered for rain runoff & sometimes my feet, ankles, achilles, knees (etc) hurt more after running on asphalt/pavement  than when I do the same time/mileage on a trail run.  whenever I have any type of "minor" injury or soreness I try to hit the trails abit more, but thats just me.

Wait, there are trails that are soft? I thought trails were those things with the big rocks on them, both uneven and really hard. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Wink

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

At least no one can question the truth of that claim.

I disagree.  3/5 of women's tennis players can.

Why is it sideways?

I disagree.  3/5 of women's tennis players can.

Ha. That post was a direct product of glycogen depletion. I am much nicer on 35mpw.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ha. That post was a direct product of glycogen depletion. I am much nicer on 35mpw.

Nicer to your opponents! Zing!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

DoppleBock

I find when I only run on hard, even surfaces the support muscles around my ankles, knees and hips get weaker.  This is not a 3 or 6 month issue - But after a couple of years they can become weak enough, I start struggling more and more with injury and general pain.  I would not run every day on uneven surfaces as my body would then have difficulty pounding out ultras in hard surfaces.

I have found the effects of many decisions can give a small short term benefit, but then leave me in worse shape or more injured in the 1 - 3 year time frame.

Since I have started adding 1x a week train running this year - My lower body has the least amount of general aches and pains it has in 5 years. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Why is it sideways?

Nicer to your opponents! Zing!

Ha.

I find when I only run on hard, even surfaces the support muscles around my ankles, knees and hips get weaker.  This is not a 3 or 6 month issue - But after a couple of years they can become weak enough, I start struggling more and more with injury and general pain.  I would not run every day on uneven surfaces as my body would then have difficulty pounding out ultras in hard surfaces.

I have found the effects of many decisions can give a small short term benefit, but then leave me in worse shape or more injured in the 1 - 3 year time frame.

Since I have started adding 1x a week train running this year - My lower body has the least amount of general aches and pains it has in 5 years. 

How's the upper body feeling these days...heh