For Runners, Soft Ground Can Be Hard on the Body (Read 1068 times)

just got back from my run this am.   ran on hard pavement, some uneven some even, soft trail, hard dirt track, ran on gravel, ran uphill, ran downhill.  ran slow & easy, ran fast, ran slow, ran hard up hill at end of run. (pace on log is slower than what I ran, tend to be conservative in log & had to wait to cross hwy 2x).  felt good after initial tough w/u.

conclusion:  I have no conclusion

Kirkroy:  some trails are soft, some are hard w/rocks/roots, etc etc,   quite often I run around a local city park along river.  parts of this park flood every year & always leaves as much as 2 ft of soft sediment, almost like running on the beach.  I've never been injured or suffered any type of problem. 

conclusion? again I have no conclusion except for this: any type of injuries/problems that I have ever had have been from "overtraining" & not taking days off at the right time.  and also this: there is more chance of twisting or landing incorrectly on trail runs vs pavement but there is more chance of injury from daily "pounding away"  on pavement or hard surfaces.  just my own thoughts/experience

Purdey

Self anointed title

Damn you and your lack of conclusions. I want the hard facts here people.

Carl A

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

xor

no shirt, no shoes, no dice.

DoppleBock

Crappy - But nothing that should be stopping me from running.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I rarely fall on trails - In fact when I fell and broke my arm it was on pavement - if it had been a trail - I would be able to drink beer with my right arm right now.

conclusion? again I have no conclusion except for this: any type of injuries/problems that I have ever had have been from "overtraining" & not taking days off at the right time.  and also this: there is more chance of twisting or landing incorrectly on trail runs vs pavement but there is more chance of injury from daily "pounding away"  on pavement or hard surfaces.  just my own thoughts/experience

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

this is brilliant: “Most road races are on hard roadways”.

I wonder where most trail races are.  Maybe on trails.

Very funny, but actually I do take much more of a beating from road races on "hard" (concrete) vs. "soft" (asphalt) roadways.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

>snip< conclusion:  I have no conclusion >snip<

that's why I posted this 'information' I have to agree that the only time I really got injured is from TMTS/OT. I had to learn what works for me and my pre-existing physical state, e.g. post-heart attack, HR limited from medication, bad knees, rt worse than left, bad left calf and years of favoring right side. So for me uneven soft surfaces are a no-no, and shod of barefoot even grass fields can give me a problem! Which is why I mentioned the 'experiments of one'. We are all a bit to unique for studies to be totally definitive for all conditions. As Nobby mentioned rules of thumb are good but may not work for everyone. To my mind that is because there are to many variables involved making it impossible to have definitive blind studies.

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Very funny, but actually I do take much more of a beating from road races on "hard" (concrete) vs. "soft" (asphalt) roadways.

R2E, I just wanted to point out that someone said "asphalt."

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

I rarely fall on trails - In fact when I fell and broke my arm it was on pavement - if it had been a trail - I would be able to drink beer with my right arm right now.

mainlining beer should be restricted to the winter months anyway!

Runners run

Damn you and your lack of conclusions. I want the hard facts here people.

I'm a Libra, what else could you expect from me?  always have to weigh all the facts & sometimes those facts accumulate for years before making a decision, but when I do it is usually the right one-just maybe too late

Feeling the growl again

I want the hard facts here people.

Beer is good.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

"run" "2" "eat"

nads, please also flag all future occurrances of the words "perspicacious" and "arachnid".

thanks in advance.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Scout7

I want the hard facts here people.

I couldn't let this pass without chuckling.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I think I almost got my first ever hattrick, but I'm not sure.