Treadmill Calibration (Read 1349 times)

Cool Jump Suit

Hmmm.  Thanks.  Time to pull out the manual for my tm and see if there is a fix.  I just did a fast finish last mile on my run tonight and 5:27 was all it would do at "12mph".

Mine goes 12 mph, but I really don't use that particular speed setting.  Smile

So bittersweet,
    This tragedy
    Won't ask for absolution;
    This melody,
    Inside of me,
    Still searches for solution.
    A twist of faith,
    A change of heart
    Cures my infatuation.
    A broken heart, 
    Provides the spark
    For my determination.

DoppleBock

It sounds like the conditions/altitude make it hard to interpret.  Your HR is going to do weird things at altitude.  I remember the first time I raced in Denver, which is much lower, I felt just fine at first.  Then I realized that my heart was going much above normal for the pace though I felt fine.  Then I hit the 1 mile marker and fell apart quickly.

But yes, treadmill calibration and effort can vary widely.  Worse than that, it can vary on the same treadmill set at different speeds!  My home one seems relatively accurate as long as I keep it below 11 mph.  Though it is supposed to go to 12mph (5:00/mile pace) if I set it to that and time a mile after it is up to speed, it's only around 5:20.

Our YMCA does not believe in calibrating - They think we should just be there getting a good workout - Calibration is an unneeded expense to get our good workouts.  No, they do not purposefully make them off, but if they are way off they do nothing to fix it  I have experienced TMs that I have run 5.5MPH to do 7.5MPH effort (Hotel) at the Y - 2 TMs side by side - One is .5 high, one is .5 low.  I'll give you one guess which one is the most popular.

I have 2-3 favorite TMs at the Y - but they are based on the best airflow from the fans in the room.  Unless the TM is obviously way off, I use the data.  If it is way of, I usually go by time and effort.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Hmmm.  Thanks.  Time to pull out the manual for my tm and see if there is a fix.  I just did a fast finish last mile on my run tonight and 5:27 was all it would do at "12mph".

My instructions include no information on calibrating.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

You could determine whether or not it is accurate that way, but if it is not, how would you adjust it?  I doubt you could on most....it would require either reprogramming or changing the pulley.

If you know the percentage error you don't need to be able to calibrate it.. you just mentally adjust the speeds/distances that it displays.

(Assuming the error is the same at all speeds and inclines.)

My instructions include no information on calibrating.

Spaniel,

Try googling,  I have a Sole treadmill that comes with no instructions, but found some online.  http://www.treadmillsensei.com/2006/10/adjusting-speed-settings-on-your-sole.html

How would you calibrate a TM, with a measuring wheel?

I'm sure it's different for them all, but on my Treadmill, had to buy a replacement part and they sent me instructions on how to calibrate after I had switched out the part..........if you have a treadmill that you need to calibrate, you can proboably google instructions for your specific TM or call the manufacturer help desk for instructions.....

On mine you hit a couple of buttons, then set the TM to a specific speed and the display can tell you if its accurate or not and then if not, I have to slightly turn a very small knob on a computer component that measures speed (that's in a case by the motor)....

It sounds a little more technical and complcated then it is......it's actually pretty easy to do. 

Champions are made when no one is watching

Wow! That's a huge difference. Interesting.

MTA: I just looked at your log. You recently did a progression run, and your heart rate was essentially the same at 10:15 pace as it was at 9:15 pace. This seems really weird to me. Maybe your heart rate monitor is off?

Jeff

My data in the last month is all out of whack. I've been having some trouble with my left Posterior Tibial tendon and had to take a good week off, then very low mileage after that. I was also feeling the affects from the PT tendon for several weeks before I actually went in to get it checked out. My aerobic system seems to have taken a big hit lately as is eveidence by the weird HR data on that progression run. I've been checking my Garmin's HR data with the treadmills HR monitor system and they seem to be within one or two beats consistanly, so I'm thinking my monitor is okay.

Here are some recent workouts before the PT problem and time off:

10/25 - 3.33 miles - 141 HR - 9:31 pace - outside

10/27 - 2.10 miles - 143 HR - 10:03 pace - treadmill

10/28 - 7.52 miles - 144 HR - 9:13 pace - outside

10/29 - 3.48 miles - 140 HR - 9:17 pace - outside

I normally try to avoid the dreadmill all together but with work, loss of daylight and way to much snow its been tough to get outside lately. I normally expect anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds of slow down when I run at my MAF HR of 140. I'm sure the 10 pounds I've put on doesn't help either. 

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel,

Try googling,  I have a Sole treadmill that comes with no instructions, but found some online.  http://www.treadmillsensei.com/2006/10/adjusting-speed-settings-on-your-sole.html

Thanks.  This is interesting to know how to get into.  These instructions are for fooling the controller unit into thinking you have a different drive wheel size so you can run it at a different speed than the display will read.  This is not calibration per so though and I'll have to keep looking if there is a solution for my problem.

MTA:  This looks promising.  Good suggestion.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

DoppleBock

My issue is that if I try to run a faster run, I either trip the machine circuit breaker or the house circuit breaker.

The machine was dead, so they changed out all the electronics - But it still will not allow speed work.

I also have a Sole - Next time I am going for the Landice L7 -

Feeling the growl again

My issue is that if I try to run a faster run, I either trip the machine circuit breaker or the house circuit breaker.

The machine was dead, so they changed out all the electronics - But it still will not allow speed work.

I also have a Sole - Next time I am going for the Landice L7 -

Did you recently tighten anything?  It will take extra power if the belt is too tight.

When was the last time you lubed it?  Have you pulled the belt and inspected the underside of it and the deck?  When mine started blowing the breaker, it was because the deck had cracked, cut all the lube off the bottom of the belt, and was getting hot enough to char the underside of the belt.

Something is causing the motor to work too hard...tightness or extra friction between belt/deck are the most likely causes.  It could be the motor bearings as well; I am suspicious that you may have put enough miles on the thing to actually consider if they are wearing out.

Oh, and I tried the calibration instructions on my F63, no dice.  It does not go into the "factory mode".  I will continue trying things.

DoppleBock

230# and a heavy foot strike - I can kick most the TM out at the Y too

Something is causing the motor to work too hard...

I will look at the rest

MrH

Next time I am going for the Landice L7 -

I was wondering about the L8 - do you find a regular length treadmill OK?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

DoppleBock

I am not sure what a regular length TM is and is not?

Sole F85 has a 22x60 - Lots of room on that thing - Although when I get zoned out - I do drift side to side a lot.

Landice L7 20x58

Either is more than I need.

I have never used pre-set programs - that is why the L7 would be my choice - stripped down - basic tank.

MrH

I'll have to check the width/length of the treadmills I use at the gym I use. The L8 is 22x63". If I don't need the extra length then the L7 is more attractive being $600 cheaper. 

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

A Saucy Wench

I know my treadmill at home is harder than the treadmills at the gym.  I know treadmill 2 at the gym is easier than treadmill 4.  Although 2 was down for extended maintenance so who knows. (1 & 3 dont have fans so I avoid those)  I dont think any of them are off enough to matter.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7