Carmel Marathon 2014 thread (Read 89 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Anybody else running Carmel this Saturday? (This is in Carmel, IN, just north of Indianapolis)

The weather looks great - overnight low on Friday of 43°, 7:30am gun temperature in mid-40s most likely (sunrise 7:11am), with forecast of partly cloudy skies.

The course is mostly flat - about a 100 ft drop and climb within the first half, and after 18 nearly flat.

And, somewhere after mile 11 there will be a great group of kids - my children and perhaps some of their friends - cheering us on.

I'm shooting for sub-3:30, though for my first marathon in 3 years (and second ever), I'll be happy simply with finishing and PRing (<3:52).

Best of luck to everyone running!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Not this year.  I did it in 2012 and enjoyed it. It's a nice marathon and hope to get back there again.   That year a couple other RA'ers also ran the race.

Good luck to you!

Sultan of slug

Wow, lots of Hoosiers on RA. I grew up in Carmel. I considered doing this; then I watched the sped-up video where they drive the course. I'm not a fan of running through suburban neighborhoods. Maybe an out-and-back to downtown Indianapolis on the Monon would be fun. Or 26 loops on the now-defunct old cross-country course.

Now the "mini" - that's a fun race! It's been a long time - maybe I'll use it as an excuse to visit the folks next May.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

@DCLoafer - several months ago I wrote a post here about the monotony of running through suburbia (I live in Carmel). I can't say I love running around here (though the Monon is pretty awesome).

Still, I got converted by all the good reports I heard of this marathon, by the fact that lots of my running club friends run it, and by the fact that it runs right behind my house. Except for the Sam Costa half, I can't ask for a closer-to-home race.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Feeling the growl again

I ran it in 2012...like 5th or something...DNF'd last year trying to jog a BQ with a hip injury....not even trying this year.  Focused on rebuilding my base and short distance performances.

It is a nice course.  It is reasonably fast.  The race is well-organized.  The only thing negative I can say about it is that I don't think I've ever run a marathon with more turns.  I did not realize this until I finished it the first time and then someone pointed it out to me and then I was....yes...really....there were constant turns.

I was disappointed when I had to drop out at 9 miles unable to move my hip and I was basically told I could wait and freeze several hours for the sag wagon, or walk 4-5 miles back to the finish under my own power.  I'm not sure it would have been any different at another mid-sized race but it was a miserable, freezing walk until I got back to where legions of inconsiderate runners littered the early miles with discarded clothing and I could pick up some nice warm stuff to wear while I finished the walk/jog in.

That said, when healthy I would happily support the race again.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Good grief people. Its a marathon and not nirvana. I'll be there ready to see if I can BQ. Looking forward to trying to BQ.

But really - its a smaller race that is well supported. Be happy about that and enjoy the ride.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

... trying to jog a BQ with a hip injury....

Add this to the list of things you'll never hear me say ... with or without the hip injury. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Good grief people. Its a marathon and not nirvana. I'll be there ready to see if I can BQ. Looking forward to trying to BQ.

But really - its a smaller race that is well supported. Be happy about that and enjoy the ride.

Go get it C-R!

I ran the half last year, but unfortunately had some hamstring issues and volunteered the year before that. It's a well organized race. Good luck to everyone running!

I'll be doing one of those 5K marathons in Pittsboro.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

The only thing negative I can say about it is that I don't think I've ever run a marathon with more turns.  I did not realize this until I finished it the first time and then someone pointed it out to me and then I was....yes...really....there were constant turns.

I don't know man...run Cowtown...definitely rivals it for turns.

I'll be there...I've run the 1/2 twice and this will be my 2nd marathon at Carmel. It's nice, it's local and it usually has chocolate milk - my own person gauge as to whether or not a marathon is good.

Good luck everyone, and good luck Norm with your BQ attempt!

flarunner

I used to live in Carmel and I used to run on all those roads. Well, long ago before it became more "suburbaned" than it is now. Cherry Tree Road from SR 32 was one of my favorites. I was registered to run the half this year but had to DNS. Bummed about that.

Good luck to all who are running tomorrow. Go get that BQ, C-R!

Feeling the growl again

I don't know man...run Cowtown...definitely rivals it for turns.

You've run a lot more different marathons than me so I'm sure you can find one or two that fit the description. Smile

Chicago...Boston...Louisville....Detroit...Steamtown...Glass City (Toledo)...Bayshore...the only one of those that came close in turns was Detroit.  Now that I think about it most of the ones I have run have had very few turns.  Boston and Steamtown are more or less point-to-point, and Louisville and Bayshore were essentially out-and-back.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

What a great weather day to run this one.

One thing that was odd was no gel or food until 20 And it was bananas. Interesting.

Rest of the event was well managed and sure the turns between 21 and 22 are a bit tight but the rest was manageable.

Good low cost and smaller marathon. 1100 runners today for the full.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kettledrum

Great weather today for the race.  I train on the Monon Trail frequently, but not today as I stayed out of the way.  Maybe next year I'll sign up.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Long boring race report.

Flat course. Good/slightly warm weather. Wind later in race. I hit a wall at Mile 22 - probably picked up the pace too quickly after the half. Still - had a great race. PR'd (it was my second ever marathon) - 3:27:24. Very happy.

I hope the other RA'ers running Carmel had a good race!

Congrats on the PR!  Great time.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals