Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

GC100k

Of course that's how it works.

I present my training argument. If you can discredit me, then I fully welcome any challenge to do so.

Please go ahead and cite the science which proves me wrong.

Otherwise, I'll keep laughing with every post.

No it's not.  You have to demonstrate it.  I just gave this lecture yesterday to my engineering freshmen.  They are assigned to design a system to use wind power to lift a 200 gram object 30 cm in 30 seconds.  They have to present drawings and calculations, but they must also demonstrate it. I said "you prove your device can lift the object in 30 seconds by..." and they chuckled and completed the sentence ",,, by lifting the object in 30 seconds".  It was obvious to them that the only way to prove they could do something was to do it.  I could present science proving they couldn't and they could present science proving they could, but the demonstration answers the questions.

You're not in political science, where you can advance a theory that can never totally be demonstrated or disproved, or economics that relies on assumptions and observations but can always be disputed, nor in theoretical physics where a theory can be "proven" by mathematics even if unobservable.  Your theories are very simple (I didn't say 'easy') to demonstrate.  And not by your unsubstantiated claims of rowing prowess or polite testimonials.  btw, Amby Burfoot said they couldn't reproduce what you claimed.

I actually think you might have some good ideas backed by sound logic.  But good ideas are a dime a dozen.  You could very simply work with a graduate student to systematically investigate your ideas.  But you won't humble yourself to work within the system.  You make claims and anyone who doubts you is an idiot who conspires against you.  It doesn't matter if the claims are based on solid science or pulled out of your butt, if you refuse to demonstrate them or subject them to scrutiny, it doesn't matter.  The burden is on you. Not on others to try your methods and disprove them.

So stay with the belief that you are superior to everyone else.  How's that working for you?  A lot of good ideas and inventions were produced by uneducated tinkerers working on their own.  But they developed and demonstrated their thing.  The proof is in the pudding (don't know what that means but it sounds good).

GC100k

And for all the time anyone takes in writing why what I teach doesn't work, won't spend 10 minutes testing it for themselves.

Ten minutes of anyone's time and you won't do it if it meant running 20% faster?? Oh please, you're simply too chicken shit to try it.

And how do I do that?  What am I testing?  What is "it"?

Seriously, I'll spend 10 minutes testing it tonight if you'll tell me what it is.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

And how do I do that?  What am I testing?  What is "it"?

Seriously, I'll spend 10 minutes testing it tonight if you'll tell me what it is.

Its called the masking tape exercise in Stew's article.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/evolution-of-learning-how-to-run-distance

I'll look forward to your thoughts.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

GC100k

Its called the masking tape exercise in Stew's article.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/evolution-of-learning-how-to-run-distance

I'll look forward to your thoughts.

I'll try it.  That article put me off however in that it showed an elite runner heel-striking and said it doesn't really count as heel-striking and then the "before" video of the heel-striker he ran exactly the same and that's somehow terrible.  Nobody heel strikes by jamming their heel into the ground and stopping their momentum like the barefooters say they do.  It's physically impossible.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

How's that working for you?

Its working wonderfully for me. Through Stew's article and the others that I've written and published, I get contacted by the rare few who seek new ideas to improve their athletic skill.

http://articles.elitefts.com/author/sport-jester/

As to the military, since most of my private clients are tactical (law enforcement, firefighters, military) athletes; as I write today, I'm working on a paper for the US Army and integration of my skills through their training manuals.

In fact I finished a requested training proposal request for SEAL Team 6.

I'm also a regular guest instructor with a vocational training school in preparing students for their NASM certification test. Not to mention that the school's director is a student of mine as well.

So thanks for asking

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I'll try it.  That article put me off however in that it showed an elite runner heel-striking and said it doesn't really count as heel-striking and then the "before" video of the heel-striker he ran exactly the same and that's somehow terrible.  Nobody heel strikes by jamming their heel into the ground and stopping their momentum like the barefooters say they do.  It's physically impossible.

I didn't get to edit the article, so that's out of my control. The exercise is there, as well as its introduction dominates the content of the article.

Start there, and the biology of what I teach will make sense as you experience it.

Still waiting for your response on this SJ.

SJ, hopefully you can at least explain why walking/running using your revolutionary technique causes extreme shoulder pain?  I don't get the correlation between no upper body movement and shoulder pain.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Get a pickup truck in the side of your head and it will make more sense.

12-15% of the energy you expend to run is wasted in arm swing mechanics.

In learning how to reduce the energy wasted on body movement above your hips, what reduces it to a 3% level of energy expenditure is what allows walking or running for me to have the least amount of pain I have to endure per step

GC100k

And where are you published in the subject of training? 

I'm a coaching consultant for the US Olympic Track and Field team as well as instructor for US Olympic sprinters and South African Olympic middle distance runners.  I am a senior technical adviser for Air Force F16 pilots, the pentagon, and the Air Force Academy.  My opinion is sought by nationally known youth sports authors and speakers.   I was a D1 individual and team conference champion in track and field and I played in the NBA for over a decade.  My son, whom I coach part time, is a nationally ranked decathlete who won multiple high school state championships and set a state record in track and field.  I have over 100 publications and am associate editor of a journal.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

That doesn't mean anything to me:

Tell me how the women of Kenya carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in energy expenditure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3951538

If you can't then you have nothing more than a barstool education.

So why then are track events run counterclockwise and not the other direction?

Describe for me the difference between how left and right handed athletes run.

Describe for me the difference between how left and right handed individuals think.

Describe the connection to how right and left handed athletes need to be taught to run a track event...

Better yet, since the world record holder in the women's 10K is a student of Ma Junren, explain how being trained in ostrich running mechanics trained her to beat the previous world record by 42 seconds...

If you were truly serious about running faster, then I can teach you to run 20% faster in less than an hour of your time.

Can you say or claim the same for me?

If not, I couldn't care less about who thinks you know anything about biomechanics.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The key to successful trolling, methinks, is the same key as for long distance runners:

perseverance

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

Speaking of... which RA user had this as an avatar?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

All the babble or pictures doesn't erase ignorance; it merely confirms it.

xhristopher

Never Give Up!

GC100k

I'm kinda disappointed nobody challenged the veracity of my claims.  I have a pretty good defense ready.  SJ just said he doesn't care.  Of course, he thinks Salazar is an idiot who could have his runners running 10 minute 5ks if he'd just listen to SJ.

I thought Ma's army won because of herbal tonics.  But it was ostrich mimicry that got them there.  Pretty dumb that no one else has done it in 20 years.  If coaches would just listen to SJ, those records would be shattered.  Those coaches don't want SJ near their athletes not because he weirds them out but because they don't want to set world records if it involves challenging the status quo.

The Chinese probably want SJ to come there, but sitting on his millions from inventing the Nike Free and busy training Seal Team 6, he just doesn't have the motivation to bother with the Chinese.

My first SJ experience has been fun, but it's getting redundant.  Back to the Kenyan load-bearing women again, huh?  Maybe just a few more and then I'm out.