Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And a 2:20 guy is trying a breakaway?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

sbpbrent

Ludwig Classic Maple

Here's another potentially contributing factor:

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/sports/kenya-acknowledges-growing-doping-problem/

Having little money or infrastructure for drug testing can potentially lead to an athletic advantage for some.

Frank Shorter was speaking about this at the Denver RnR Marathon Expo.  Remember, after winning gold in Munich he finished second to an East German doper in Montreal.  He was talking about how the large races are going to have to start enforcing tests.  I write this as I'm watching another potentially tainted NY Marathon.  From what Frank was saying, the Kenyan "Drug Testing Program" is a donated bus.

Marathon PR: 3:25:35 Fall Classic, 2014

1/2 Marathon PR: 1:35:59, Mt. Sneffels Half Marathon, 2014

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Educate me; what's a "donated bus" ?

sbpbrent

Ludwig Classic Maple

It's a mobile testing lab.

Mysecondnewname

Frank Shorter was speaking about this at the Denver RnR Marathon Expo.  Remember, after winning gold in Munich he finished second to an East German doper in Montreal.  He was talking about how the large races are going to have to start enforcing tests.  I write this as I'm watching another potentially tainted NY Marathon.  From what Frank was saying, the Kenyan "Drug Testing Program" is a donated bus.

Shorter's comments are interesting and lend some credibility to the notion that until we have all of the elites submit to the "biological passport" type of testing, it's going to be hard to even begin to know which results are clean and which are not.

On a somewhat related note, I just read an excerpt  http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304171804579121642118958198

from this book:  http://www.amazon.com/Wheelmen-Armstrong-France-Greatest-Conspiracy/dp/1592408486/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383514875&sr=8-1&keywords=lance+Armstrong

regarding the lengths Armstrong went to cheat.   (The official USADA report is even more detailed http://cyclinginvestigation.usada.org/ and convincing).

I don't envy those folks trying to catch the cheats.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oooh. A bus, as in a long vehicle. I really thought it was some sort of figure of speech unknown to me.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Shorter's comments are interesting and lend some credibility to the notion that until we have all of the elites submit to the "biological passport" type of testing, it's going to be hard to know what results are clean and which are not.

I'm clean.

That's really the reason I haven't broken 2:04.

sbpbrent

Ludwig Classic Maple

Frank Shorter was Chairman of the US Anti-Doping Agency.  He was talking about it at the Expo.  I'm paraphrasing here, but he was talking about Armstrong.  He said that if any knowledgeable human had looked at the results of Armstrong's blood tests, they should have known immediately that he was doping.  Apparently, they were content to say he was clean based on a computer algorithm that didn't catch it when it was run.

I came away with the distinct impression that the Kenyans were very likely doping.  Their sudden complete dominance in the sport almost exactly parallels that of East German women's swimming in the 70's and early 80's.

xhristopher

Speaking of buses ... We all like to throw pro cycling under the bus but I wonder what we'd learn about running if they were tested and scrutinized as much as pro cyclists are. Doping can help running a lot me thinks.

We all like to throw pro cycling under the bus but I wonder what we'd learn about running if they were tested and scrutinized as much as pro cyclists are. Doping can help running a lot me thinks.

Yup, fully agree.

And, also, I think it's daring for Americans to throw stones to other countries and their doping problems when there appears to be doping problems here in team USA sports, me thinks.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... doping problems here in team USA sports, me thinks.

NO. Lance is clean. Don't betray him!

Yup, fully agree.

And, also, I think it's daring for Americans to throw stones to other countries and their doping problems when there appears to be doping problems here in team USA sports, me thinks.

okay, if the US runners are doping, they must not be doing it as good as the Kenyans. Just sayin'....

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Of course the answer to your question is simple; Kenyan runners don't run like we do.

Contrary to what internet idiots believe, they aren't faster because they train barefoot, its that we're slower because we wear shoes. And anyone who thinks taking off your shoes is the same as running barefoot is sadly mistaken to think otherwise.

And any athlete who was born, raised, and trained wearing shoes stands little chance to beat them because of that unnatural influence and detriment to our walking and running mechanics.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

GC100k

And any athlete who was born, raised, and trained wearing shoes stands little chance to beat them because of that unnatural influence and detriment to our walking and running mechanics.

Well, shoot.  I was born wearing shoes so I'm out.

Well, shoot.  I was born wearing shoes so I'm out.

Your poor mother. What size were they? I hope they weren't xc spikes.

Runners run