Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Why are the Eastern European women distance runners so fast?

They carry 40 pound baskets on their heads while running barefoot through the snow each morning?

It is as simple as training hard.  "Train hard, win easy."   They have incentive to win and they have the attitude to believe they can do it and a strong work ethic to put in the work required to do it.  They have huge numbers of Kenyans, training their butts off in training camps where their only responsibility is to train.  They train 2 and 3 times a day.  Yes, they may have other contributing factors, but this is the main thing they have going for them.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

#artbydmcbride

They carry 40 pound baskets on their heads while running barefoot through the snow each morning?

.....holding their arms still at their sides like ostrichs?

Runners run

the kenyan

.....holding their arms still at their sides like ostrichs?

Damn straight.  Makes it easier to reach out and clothesline people.

Why are the Ethiopians so fast?

Next time you're on the Upper West Side, I'll show you.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

sport jester

Biomimeticist

So why can't anyone here explain why the women of these areas are able to carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in energy expenditure to do so?

Until you can explain how the women walk, you'll never comprehend how anyone from these regions of the world actually run.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Why is it sideways?

So why can't anyone here explain why the women of these areas are able to carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in energy expenditure to do so?

Until you can explain how the women walk, you'll never comprehend how anyone from these regions of the world actually run.

That's really interesting. I see the connection!

If only someone could explain this in a way that ordinary folks can understand.

TJoseph

That's really interesting. I see the connection!

If only someone could explain this in a way that ordinary folks can understand.

I think LedLincoln did.  They carry 40lb baskets on their head.  Westerners tend to carry their baskets in front of them.

GC100k

you need to get some newer National Geographics.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

you need to get some newer National Geographics.

Don't need them.

http://www.ottopohl.com/Stories/2002_Stories/NYTheads2.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3951538

Biology is that there are six different running techniques documented to exist within the human species. Of them, those athletes who grow up in shoe wearing societies utilize the least efficient running technique of the six to choose from.

And the only way any legitimate opinion from anyone can be valid, is only by asking the runner who beats them.

Everything else is simply barstool drivel of opinion.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Why is it sideways?

SJ, have you learned this tiny gait alteration?

Prince of Fatness

And the only way any legitimate opinion from anyone can be valid, is only by asking the runner who beats them.

Who have you beaten?

Not at it at all. 

Don't need them.

http://www.ottopohl.com/Stories/2002_Stories/NYTheads2.htm

"Interestingly, they apply this trick only when they are carrying things on their heads. When they walk unloaded, Dr. Heglund found, they waste as much energy as all other walkers. It is only as they begin to balance heavy loads on their heads that they change their steps."

Interesting, indeed.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The only valid opinions are from the handful of top male runners on the planet?

So no female opinions are valid?

That's interesting news.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.