Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

npaden

I think it is all in the graceful form used.  Just look at Jeptoo.  My right leg still hurts from watching her!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think it is all in the graceful form used.  Just look at Jeptoo.  My right leg still hurts from watching her!

How much weight did you have on your head?

Maybe you need to lower the amount, until your right leg stops hurting.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

"You want to know what the secret is? That there is no secret."

-Brother Colm, a retired Irish priest living in Iten and one of Kenya's top running coaches.

MTA:  The whole article

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Future running partner.

I think its a cultural thing as a whole. The reasons they are so fast can't be placed on on any one aspect of their culture or genetics or whatever, its a matter of having the right combination of all of the above that makes them so fast. There is a similar story taking place in football regarding American Samoans. "In fact, boys born to Samoan parents are estimated to be 56 times more likely to play in the NFL than other Americans", reports Scott Pelley in his story to be broadcast Sunday, Jan. 17 (8-9 p.m., ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The arguments are the same.

Snaylor

Radiolab did a short bit on Kenyan running. I think much of what is said has been touched on in this thread but it is still a great listen. 

http://www.radiolab.org/story/runners/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

-Brother Colm, a retired Irish priest living in Iten and one of Kenya's top running coaches.

You're quoting a monk, who went to Kenya to teach geography for three months. What would he know about coaching or about fast runners?

What would he know about coaching or about fast runners?

quite a lot.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

You're quoting a monk, who went to Kenya to teach geography for three months. What would he know about coaching or about fast runners?

Are you serious?  From wikipedia-

Today, he has 120 training camps and is known as "the Godfather of Kenyan running". His work with the youth has included track and field training. 25 of his students have gone on to become world champions, and four have won Olympic gold medals.[3] His students include Edna KiplagatFlorence KiplagatLornah KiplagatLinet MasaiMary KeitanyIbrahim Kipkemboi HusseinPeter RonoMatthew BirirSammy Tirop, Haron Lagat, janet jepkosgei, viola kibiwott, brimin kiprutto, Joseph tengelei , isaac songok, wilson Boit, Vivian cheruiyot, Michael KipyegoAugustine Kiprono ChogeWilson Kipketer, and David Lekuta Rudisha. O'Connell is credited in starting the influx of female athletes to Iten in the early 1990s when he trained and hosted World Champion Sally BarsosioRose Cheruiyot, and world junior champion Lydia Cheromei. In 2001 Br O'Connell was awarded an honorary MA from NUI Galway for his services to Africa and to Athletics. Credit to his work as a coach is widely presented by "the 'Man on a Mission' - Br O'Connell and the rise of Kenyan Athletics" by Jamie D'Alton, and Anne McLoughlin documentary.  The documentary Man on a Mission was presented by former Irish athlete Senator Eamon Coughlan.[4]

In 2012 Bro O'Connell was awarded an honorary Doctorate by Dublin City University attending the ceremony was Olympic and World Champion David Rudisha.[2][5]

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Mysecondnewname

I always wondered where that quote came from...

Thanks for the link to the article, Kristin--very interesting.

Are you serious?  From wikipedia-

Today, he has 120 training camps and is known as "the Godfather of Kenyan running". His work with the youth has included track and field training. 25 of his students have gone on to become world champions, and four have won Olympic gold medals.[3] His students include Edna KiplagatFlorence KiplagatLornah KiplagatLinet MasaiMary KeitanyIbrahim Kipkemboi HusseinPeter RonoMatthew BirirSammy Tirop, Haron Lagat, janet jepkosgei, viola kibiwott, brimin kiprutto, Joseph tengelei , isaac songok, wilson Boit, Vivian cheruiyot, Michael KipyegoAugustine Kiprono ChogeWilson Kipketer, and David Lekuta Rudisha. O'Connell is credited in starting the influx of female athletes to Iten in the early 1990s when he trained and hosted World Champion Sally BarsosioRose Cheruiyot, and world junior champion Lydia Cheromei. In 2001 Br O'Connell was awarded an honorary MA from NUI Galway for his services to Africa and to Athletics. Credit to his work as a coach is widely presented by "the 'Man on a Mission' - Br O'Connell and the rise of Kenyan Athletics" by Jamie D'Alton, and Anne McLoughlin documentary.  The documentary Man on a Mission was presented by former Irish athlete Senator Eamon Coughlan.[4]

In 2012 Bro O'Connell was awarded an honorary Doctorate by Dublin City University attending the ceremony was Olympic and World Champion David Rudisha.[2][5]

Always a good idea to quote from Wikipedia on the off chance AP was serious. You can never be too careful.

Runners run

I always wondered where that quote came from...

It's true, Brother Colm is one of 1,247 people who are credited with coining the expression, "The secret is there is no secret." Quenton Cassidy is another but there's some debate about whether he's real.

Runners run

Funny, because when I google that quote, only Brother Colm comes up in the results.

You want an article, here's one of many.

Ultimately, the point is that everyone wants the Kenyans' secret potion, and it isn't that hard to figure out.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Always a good idea to quote from Wikipedia on the off chance AP was serious. You can never be too careful.

I try, but I've never come close to the style of the water bottle guy or the ostrich guy...

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Roll eyes