Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You're quoting a monk, who went to Kenya to teach geography for three months. What would he know about coaching or about fast runners?

And has he studied ostrich and T-Rex and basket running?

Why is it sideways?

Really nice video on Colm O'Connell.

(It's an hour, but well spent.)

Slo

I'll have to take your word for it.

I'll watch it.  Thanks.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

#artbydmcbride

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Roll eyes

I know THAT one!  Paul McCartney!

Runners run

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I know THAT one!  Paul McCartney!

John Lennon...

steph  

sport jester

Biomimeticist

SJ, have you learned this tiny gait alteration?

of course I have, that's why I can reproduce it....

That was the basis of my testing with NIke, that I can take any runner regardless of skill level and put them on a treadmill with a heart rate monitor and let them run at whatever speed their comfortable with.

In removing them from the machine, and instructing them in how Kenyans actually run, that they could go back to the treadmill at the same speed and incline only this time their heart rate was an easy 20% lower.

What you do with the energy savings is up to you, run further or run faster...

And you can learn the basics of it in this article written about it and introducing it with this link. I call it the masking tape exercise.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/evolution-of-learning-how-to-run-distance

I

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

That was the basis of my testing with NIke, that I can take any runner regardless of skill level and put them on a treadmill with a heart rate monitor and let them run at whatever speed their comfortable with.

In removing them from the machine, and instructing them in how Kenyans actually run, that they could go back to the treadmill at the same speed and incline only this time their heart rate was an easy 20% lower.

And you can learn the basics of it in this article written about it and introducing it with this link. I call it the masking tape exercise.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/evolution-of-learning-how-to-run-distance

I

You should teach the Kenyan women because according to the NYT article, they revert to the "inefficient" mode once the loads are removed.

And when Nike saw you take those runners back to the treadmill and run at race pace with a 20% lower heart rate, what did they say?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

xhristopher

I

Thanks for that explanation and link. I read the article and found it helpful. I can already tell I'm going to run faster from all those yummy morsels of wisdom but I do have just a couple questions:

1.) What if you don't have a local Best Buy?

2.) We can dissect a stride, arm swing, and foot strike more accurately than we could in the 80s but what about the 70s? You see everyone was doing cocaine in the 80s but al the marijana in the 70s might have provided more creative results. Hell, in the 60s, with all the LSD, you may not have even needed special equipment to see a stride in slo-mo.

3.) The author states he's learned "One thing" in more than 30 years. Is that it?

4.) The author found 22 out of 100 people run with the "POSE Method." WTF is the POSE method. You mean more than 1 in 5 runners I know use this and they are keeping it a secret??? FFS!!

5.) Isn't Chi a kind of tea?

6.) I don't think it's funny at all that people swear by their method. Running is supposed to be kid and family friendly and if everyone is swearing, well, you know!

7.) The author's heels grazed the ground? Damn! Normally one would want to graze on something a little more edible.

8.) Tell me more about this audible test. Could it be just your shoes? I know of one runner here on RA who complained that a certain model of shoe made slappy noises and it drove him crazy. He still is.

9.) Limited bounce from the waist up? What kid of sports bras do you use in the army?

dennrunner

That's a very loose definition of "couple." You should work on your form. I bet SJ could help with that.

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

I

But lemme ask you this: Do they know the feeling I know?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Isn't that the joke of any running forum? Everyone wants to run faster, but nobody wants to change how they run.

Or as Einstein once defined crazy, "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results..."

Of course the Kenyan women are just as inefficient without the weight.

So how do each generation of women learn the skill if their mothers can't describe it or teach it?

Where did they learn the skill in the first place?

Mimicking the load bearing skill for me is easy.

Describing how they do it is also easy because they utilize a completely different principle of balance than you do.

The real question is why you don't have the guts to try it...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

#artbydmcbride

You must be a blazing fast runner, sportsjester!

Runners run

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Don't have to run; I walk at 9MPH