Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

being hit 40ft through the air (which doctors told me was impossible to survive) by a flying pick up truck destroyed my shoulder. 

Truly harrowing.  But I think the answer to the question we'd all like to know is:

"Did the pick-up truck sustain any damage?"

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

"Did the pick-up truck sustain any damage?"

From me? Not at all.

I'm not as thick headed as most runners.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

From me? Not at all. 

groovy.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Well my head did $697 worth of damage to the rear quarter panel of the truck bed.

The rest of it was totaled by the vehicle that hit it full broadside. It went underneath the truck right behind the cab. The truck spun around and in that process hit me like a home run out of the ballpark as I was walking through the intersection.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Well my head did $697 worth of damage to the rear quarter panel of the truck bed.

The rest of it was totaled by the vehicle that hit it full broadside. It went underneath the truck right behind the cab. The truck spun around and in that process hit me like a home run out of the ballpark as I was walking through the intersection.

oh, you're just milking it now...

sport jester

Biomimeticist

That's the story.

However the science of it was that since that day, I've been in constant pain and what underscored searching for relief that conventional rehabilitation techniques couldn't address. For me, that was my motivation for creating a running technique founded in being able to walk with absolutely no arm swing.

In fact my best so far was walking at 8.5MPH with no arm swing at all.

From there, I had to figure out how to extrapolate walking into a running technique.

However the science of it was that since that day, I've been in constant pain and what underscored searching for relief that conventional rehabilitation techniques couldn't address. For me, that was my motivation for creating a running technique founded in being able to walk with absolutely no arm swing.

ah, so this is when you discovered the Land of the Ostrich?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Actually I started with cats. Since each step was painful, I studied them for their stalking skills as a means to reduce the impact forces with every step. From there it was in learning how to train race horses as a means to better understand arm swing mechanics.

I didn't start with ostriches until after my first client was interested in running track rather than seeking distance event participation.

And T-Rex was where I started in studying true bipedal running technique. After I learned of the DNA connection to ostriches, did I head in that research direction.

Actually I started with cats. Since each step was painful, I studied them for their stalking skills as a means to reduce the impact forces with every step. From there it was in learning how to train race horses as a means to better understand arm swing mechanics.

I didn't start with ostriches until after my first client was interested in running track rather than seeking distance event participation.

And T-Rex was where I started in studying true bipedal running technique. After I learned of the DNA connection to ostriches, did I head in that research direction.

all cool.  even an internet idiot like me can understand that.

how do you best think you can take this knowledge forward & make it more accessible?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

While I would love to teach elite level athletes, no coach will let me get near them.

So my focus has been military application. If you read Stew Smith's article, he learned the exact same thing I taught the editors and staff of Runner's World Magazine, as well as Alberto Salazar. Funny that if your life is on the line you can recognize the efficiencies of what I teach, but magazine editors can't (or won't, which is the case)....

I write here to simply challenge conventional wisdom and give runners a very different perspective. Those who get it write me privately and we continue from there.

While I would love to teach elite level athletes, no coach will let me get near them.

So my focus has been military application. If you read Stew Smith's article, he learned the exact same thing I taught the editors and staff of Runner's World Magazine, as well as Alberto Salazar. Funny that if your life is on the line you can recognize the efficiencies of what I teach, but magazine editors can't (or won't, which is the case)....

I write here to simply challenge conventional wisdom and give runners a very different perspective. Those who get it write me privately and we continue from there.

just  addressing your third point; you patently condescend to people. people who obviously aren't daft.

do a study or two, make your findings scientific;  that's all it would take.  it wouldn't be a case of 'those who get me', more a case of "this shit really works!".  is that so scary?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

not at all. However without being condescending, such advice isn't new to me. However publishing a study is what you think is as easy as buying milk at 7-11.

However, the experts have deemed creating a better running technique is impossible to do. So why do you think they would publish my work?????

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22779699

What you miss is that they're called peer review publications.

However I can explain the women of Kenya and they can't. Therefore they're not my peers.

However, the experts have deemed creating a better running technique is impossible to do. So why do you think they would publish my work?????

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22779699

What you miss is that they're called peer review publications.

However I can explain the women of Kenya and they can't. Therefore they're not my peers.

it's those pesky women of Kenya again.

traa Smile

GC100k

How cool is that!  Where is the T-Rex that you studied?  Do you have video of it running?  I would love to see that.

I too would study ostriches if I were coaching a runner whose knees went backwards.  Good call.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

How cool is that!  Where is the T-Rex that you studied?  Do you have video of it running?  I would love to see that.

I too would study ostriches if I were coaching a runner whose knees went backwards.  Good call.

Fossil footprints both human and Theropod describe the connection.

Oh, and their anatomy is identical to humans. What you failed for anatomy knowledge is because their femurs are incredibly short. Google searching a picture doesn't count as an education.

What you describe as a backwards knee is their ankle...

http://www.scienceinschool.org/repository/images/issue21ostrich5_xl.jpg