Winter running shoes (Read 174 times)

Hi all!

Glad to join the community. How is everyone's winter?

I've been running for four years 1-2 times a week as part of a regular workout routine at a beginners level. I don't run in winter. Now I found this trail running group and I want to start running in winter too, on wild terrain. Will this hurt me or my shoes if I use regular asics? Or should I invest in some all-weather ones, like Gore-Tex ones?

I see two main cons for regular shoes - they're not water resistible and don't have the grip as winter ones do. I'm more concerned about the health of the shoe: does trail running damage regular running shoes? Does running in winter (water and snow) damage regular running shoes?

Anyone has some exp - please share. I'll share mine after I run!

Welcome!

I run in same shoes summer and winter - usually 5-6 days per wk. I may add overbooties in colder temperatures or deep or wet snow. I may use traction devices or flotation devices as snow and ice varies during the year.

Goretex or other waterproof. Shoes tend to be heavier , more rigid, and pricier. If yor feet get wet, they stay wet, which is not good.

There are some shoes out there that some of the winter ultra runners may prefer, but they would have to fit and work with yor biomechanics  for me, I'm finding the piecemeal approach works better since my feet are hard to fit.

To answer your question, no, water and snow shouldn't hurt a normal running shoe.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      chaplanger

Home from Iraq 2005

I've been running for a few years but on streets /sidewalks/paved trails (Iowa and Idaho). I use the same shoes summer and winter. If you rotate two pairs of shoes, you'll find that 1 day is all your shoes will need to dry out from snow and elements. The only concession I have made for winter running is to use yaktrax for surer footing in snow and ice.

5k: -- 26:12 (12/17/2016)

10k: 58:36 (6/14/2016)

Half: 2:08:23 (7/4/2015)

Longest: 15.03 (5/31/2014)

Half Marathon Bucket List Goals: 15 of 50 states completed / 2 of 7 Continents completed.

Hi.  For the time being I'd say just stick with your road shoes, weather won't hurt them.  The extra traction from trail shoes can be really useful, and if your off road running involves just wet grass or mud then goretex can be useful.  But if you step in deeper water (creek crossings, deep mud) you'll want shoes that let the water out (so not goretex).

some call me Tim

It really depends on the trails, but if they aren't too gnarly I guess they'll be easier on your road shoes, which are probably fine. If you try and are slipping all over the place maybe then look into some shoes with big lugs, or like AK says add on some stuff to a shoe that already fits you well.

Another vote for no gore-tex, too. For winter trails, good wool running socks are worth at least their weight in gold.

Have fun out there!

I use Goretex trail running shoes in winter.

My wet shoes go on a shoe dryer.  That thing will take a pair of dripping wet shoes and completely dry them in a few hours.

Thanks a lot for your responses guys! I decided to stay with my regular shoes - thanks to your experiences Smile