Advil During a race (Read 1893 times)

he lives!

that's because he stopped popping the advil :-)

The shirtless wonder

...And if you aren't worried about your kidneys maybe you should be worried about bank account.  Even if you are insured don't bet on everything being covered (I'm speaking from experience after 1 night in the hospital).

"An Ashland ultra-marathoner who fell gravely ill after winning the 100-kilometer Where's Waldo race east of Eugene faces another daunting challenge: $25,000 to $30,000 in medical bills.

Erik Skaggs, 27, spent six days in local hospitals recovering from acute renal failure, apparently caused by a combination of dehydration and taking ibuprofen after a demanding race."

Source

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

He actually did not have medical insurance.

The shirtless wonder

I know he didn't have insurance.  My point was that even people that DO have insurance might not be getting off so lightly. 

Greg

xor

I don't understand then why the running group was giving them out.  I was never saying to do it but just trying to understand why one would want to take it during the race.  Would it actually help you during the race? 

Because, like I said, it doesn't lead to Bad Things 100% of the time, or even the majority of the time.  But when shit goes bad, it goes REALLY bad.  Your running group gives them out because they don't know any better, don't believe it, or don't care.  This is not uncommon.

Would it actually help you?  Maybe. Lots of things might help you run a race faster but aren't really worth it.

But this is up to you. 

kcam

A lot of athletes call it 'Vitamin A'.  Back in my younger days I used to take an advil or two at the starting line of a marathon and would also carry two or three 200milligrammers in a little plastic bag in my short pocket.  Those would be taken as soon as I crossed the finish line.  I stopped doing this 6 or 7 years ago after I learned that it can be very damaging to your kidneys.  Not to mention that it never helped me with post-race soreness whatsoever.
                "Vitamin I" is what I've heard it called.  Conventional wisdom is often way wrong.

Runners run

xor

Not to mention that it never helped me with post-race soreness whatsoever.

So it didn't "mask pain"? 

(Vitamin A, yup.  I've also heard Vitamin I.)

BTW, for folks who might consider Tylenol instead, Careful With That Axe, Eugene.  More is not better with Tylenol.  Like way way not better.  Too much tylenol will derf your liver.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002598.htm

Imminent Catastrophe

There was a recent thread on another board about a ultrarunner who was taking vicodin. Yikes.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There was a recent thread on another board about a ultrarunner who was taking vicodin. Yikes.

Sometimes I think people almost deserve injury or illness.  Taking a narcotic seems unethical (cheating vs. those who ethically endure the pain of competition) on top of being stupid.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I look my best blurry!

Sometimes I think people almost deserve injury or illness.  Taking a narcotic seems unethical (cheating vs. those who ethically endure the pain of competition) on top of being stupid.

If he is taking Vicodin during and ultra he will probably end up off course before he gets to the finish.  I'd recommend he double or triple the dose for a little insurance that he gets lost!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If he is taking Vicodin during and ultra he will probably end up off course before he gets to the finish.  I'd recommend he double or triple the dose for a little insurance that he gets lost!

Shit, one Vicodin makes me loopy as hell (I am not a fan of narcotics, in general).  I can only imagine what 2-3 would do to a person.  I'd think they'd get to the point where they don't even care about the race.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I can't be too la-ti-da in this thread.  I've run long whilst heavily medicated with stuff I don't wish on any of you.

Maybe not the smartest thing I've done in my life.

It is what it is, and I yam what I yam.

I hope that's not unethical.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But you're such a sweet potato.

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

I can't be too la-ti-da in this thread.  I've run long whilst heavily medicated with stuff I don't wish on any of you.

Maybe not the smartest thing I've done in my life.

I hope that's not unethical.

Yeah, I'm guessing you weren't getting that stuff to enhance your performance.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016