Advil During a race (Read 1893 times)

Scout7

My doc just prescribed me Anaprox 550mg (for a non-running related injury) and said that I shouldn't have any reason to worry about taking it in conjunction with running.

Discuss.

Taking a prescribed medication for a specific injury while under the care of a licensed physician is not the same as self-medicating to get through a race.

i sacrificed the gift

Crush it up and go.

YES

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
      Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
      Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA
      Scout7

Just be careful that your uterus doesn't fall out.

i sacrificed the gift

Also to be serious for a second here, I think the idea that doctor's don't know how to deal with, with or know nothing about, special populations is BS.  If doctors didn't know how to treat anyone with the slightest of foibles, being a doctor would be extremely easy, but no one would be able to get properly treated.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
          Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
          Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Scout won this battle.
            Scout7

Scout won this battle.

WOO!!  USA!  USA!!

Run that one up your flagpole and see who friggin' salutes!

Also to be serious for a second here, I think the idea that doctor's don't know how to deal with, with or know nothing about, special populations is BS.  If doctors didn't know how to treat anyone with the slightest of foibles, being a doctor would be extremely easy, but no one would be able to get properly treated.

"in conjunction with" does not necessarily mean "during."  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Scout7

"in conjunction with" does not necessarily mean "during."  

Too late, Beta.  I already won.  Hang your head in shame.

It's been down for six days. Fool (me, not you).

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Dude, six days is a long time to walk around with stinky mud on your clothes.

Time for a shower.

Look on the bright side. No more mud for 349 days.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I would never, ever take Advil on a long run. Ever. Ever. 

+1  .  No NSAIDs... I like having kidneys that work.

Imminent Catastrophe

Here is the post from the ULTRA mailing list.  Background:  this girl had some kind of ankle tendinitis but was so desperate to run Coyote2Moon that she tried to run it anyway.  She was timed out after 70 miles/34 hours.  Let's just say that the responses to her story were ... interesting.

So everyone knows what I meant by too much...over 34 hours total I consumed 12 total Advil, 3 total Vicodin 5/500mg, and 3 total Oxycodone 5mg. This is not above the daily maximum dose for any of these meds, and I alternated them. I would prefer to use NONE so when I said too many, I meant that it was too many in my opinion.

And YES! My doctor did know that I was bringing all of these out on the trail with me! I work with the guy 5 days a week in a pain management clinic...so trust me here when I say that I know what I'm doing. I manage our dispensary in that pain clinic.

IIRC she never did concede that it might have been a bad idea.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

On On

Pick a new race and get back out there.  Hell, tell me which one and I'll race you.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh...today's Natalie Dee:

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The shirtless wonder

mta: I'm not saying your doctor is wrong.  I'm making gross generalizations here.  I agree with Scout's response, and Trent said he won so there is no argument there!  

Sure some doctors are good about special populations but think about it for a minute.  Not all doctors are equal.  In addition no doctor can keep up with everything.  You may have a very good doctor or you may have one that isn't so great.  Or you might catch your doctor on a bad day.  ...And why should a general practitioner spend their valuable time keeping up on research for a tiny fraction of the people that they see?

I had a problem with iron last year.  My doc said everything was fine.  After seeking many opinions I learned that my Dr. at the time was mistaken.  I don't fault the doctor -- I'm an outlier and he can't get *everything* right.  Doctors are human. (I am sure many people are now thinking that I just kept seeking opinions until I got the answer I was seeking.  That's not the case but I don't expect anyone to believe that.)

I saw a cardiologist recently.  I did some limited research on blood markers and marathoners.  The cardiologist hadn't heard of anything that I had mentioned.  But he was a very good doctor.  He listened (hopefully very skeptically) about what I said and then followed up on it.  He dug up journal articles on the topic and got back to me. 

I compare doctors to myself.  I feel that I am competent in my day job but I recognize that I'm not an expert in everything (or anything!).  Doctors are not any different. 

It pays to be skeptical.  As they say on CSI "trust but verify."

Greg