Should I get a car/which car? (Read 302 times)

tinman11

You need a 2011 or 2012 Volvo XC70 with AWD & heated seats.

Sporty enough for you and wife.

Good sound system.

Safe for the family.

Order a Yakima rack & skybox for trips.

I like to see you're paying cash.  Good decision.

Feeling the growl again

I have the same problem.  I haven't owned a stick for my personal car since I traded in the Subaru I was driving when I got married.  I did buy a used truck for my business that had a stick.  I sold it when I closed the business down, but I wish I had kept it a couple more years to teach my daughter how to drive stick on it.

Same here, manual tranny lover from day 1 but I couldn't get my wife to learn (she tried once, another idiot driver made it a bad experience).  I was kind of getting tired of dealing with it in city driving anyways.  However I daily miss the responsiveness of a stick, it is like 50 extra HP.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Same here, manual tranny lover from day 1 but I couldn't get my wife to learn (she tried once, another idiot driver made it a bad experience).  I was kind of getting tired of dealing with it in city driving anyways.  However I daily miss the responsiveness of a stick, it is like 50 extra HP.

Mrs Finn can drive a stick, bless her heart.  Damn, reading that it can be interpreted in many ways,

Anyway, the only time I do not like having the manual is when I get stuck on the interstate.  Clutching along sucks.  Other than that I don't mind rowing my own.  Actually prefer it.

They have made lots of progress with the auto trannys from a MPG and driving experience perspective.  When I bought the Mazda the auto was actually rated 1 MPG better than the manual.  Problem is when they break the autos are much more pricey than the manuals to work on.

Not at it at all. 

NHLA

Nissan Rogue  lots of room  good on gas. Great turning radius.

Best car ever is the Audi A4.  I am on my 3rd.

My wife loves to drive a manual, and loves competition driving - why I get away with a 31 year old Mazda RX-7 in the garage when we've got two toddlers. I like car building, so it really works out.

I really think that buying a car less than 5 years old is just throwing away money, and that sweet spot is getting older and older as I get better at building and cars get more proprietary electronics.

I'd recommend a mid 80's BMW, Volvo V50  from about 5 years ago.

I've got an XC70, and it is the opposite of sporty. That can be called sporty in comparison with Cadillac Escalades and Lincoln Navigators, but not much else. It's a boat.

Ojo

I love my orange Subaru Crosstrek!  It is a great car that gets great gas mileage.  We took it on our 2+ week cross country camping trip.  No complaints from my 2 teenage boys about the room in the back seat.  We did need to use a pod for the extra camping equipment.  I highly recommend -- and this is our 4th Subaru so we are obviously big fans of the company.

Sara

MM #2929

Ostrich runner

Worst.

Transmission.

Ever.

Of any current, modern car.

That surprises me considering how good the Focus ST transmission is. The Mazdaspeed3 is probably the worst I've driven - I mean, that clunkiness is fine for a track car, but there is no reason for it on a FWD hatch.

I love manuals as much because people don't ask me to drive my car as anything else. Also, they've been shown to be big theft deterrents.

I do like this flowchart

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Wing

Joggaholic

Nice chart! There're no minivans in it!

That surprises me considering how good the Focus ST transmission is. The Mazdaspeed3 is probably the worst I've driven - I mean, that clunkiness is fine for a track car, but there is no reason for it on a FWD hatch.

I love manuals as much because people don't ask me to drive my car as anything else. Also, they've been shown to be big theft deterrents.

I do like this flowchart

xhristopher

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do like this flowchart

That flowchart is fun and spot-on...I still lust over a Subaru WRX hatchback.  Doesn't help that my kid brother has one.  The cost to insure one and gas it up are the things that will likely keep one from ever sitting in our driveway.

I've often wondered about the manual/theft deterrent thing.  It makes sense.  Never have had a car stolen, either way.

Love the transmission on my regular 3...have heard similar complaints about the MSP3.  I loathed the manual on the V6 262 ('99, I think...?) we inherited when my FIL passed away.  It was simply not possible to shift that thing smoothly.  Even my DH's '89 Civic Si had a nicer touch.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

I really liked the gates on the old Si's. I have a WRX, and I average about 24 mpg for all miles driven. That's only a little worse than most of the competition. One reason I'm attracted to the Fiesta ST is that it'll take 87 octane, which would make as big of a difference as the mpg.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That Fiesta is the cutest little thing, too.  And 262 above = 626.  I have typing dyslexia, heh.

And, yeah, I don't want a car that can't take regular 87 octane.  Gas is too stupid expensive.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

kcam

The only car that was ever stolen from me was a manual trans car.  Less than 1 year old 89 Ford Thunderbird Turbo coupe with a 5spd.  Lost my ass on the insurance settlement.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

When I was looking for a car last time, I had pretty much dismissed the ugly orange Toyota Matrix that I saw on the website of my friend the Car Sales Manager.  Didn't like the color, didn't like the body style.  I just wanted something smallish that could pack a reasonable amount of stuff, with cruise control (previous car didn't have it and it drove me nuts, so to speak) and good mileage.  I'd always driven standard transmissions, but was willing to give that up for the cruise control, since I thought I knew the two were mutually exclusive.

He talked me into a test drive in the thing, and lo and behold, the thing had both a manual transmission and cruise control!  I thought at first it had to be an after-market install, but some research on both of our parts showed otherwise.  And it also had a dang trailer hitch.  AND, I had a blast driving it during the test drive.  Sold.

It's the XRS configuration, which means a bigger (read: less fuel-efficient) engine and MUCH more expensive tires, I just found out...but I'd buy it again, for sure!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Kalsarikännit

The new Tesla is looking good, especially with two trunks. Lot's of room for your junk. Get the one with the bigger battery.

Yeah, but if you live in a super dense urban neighborhood you are also going to have to buy enough bright orange extension cords to be able to charge you car that is parallel parked in the nearest spot you can find, four blocks away.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart