Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

My goal was a 3:30 at Ogden and I was successful! Actually, 3:30:46 but I round down Smile My motivation for a 3:30 was missing my BQ by 1min 42 sec when I got a 3:46 at St George last fall. I really didn't want to have that happen again so I decided to shoot for something that would ensure a BQ. There were many times over the last few months I thought a 3:30 was a little too optimistic but with hard work and support from my running team, especially runnin-at-sixty I did it. Ogden marathon has a winter racing serious leading up to the marathon. They put on a 5K, 10K, 10 miler, half marathon, and a 30K. (all for $100!!) It is a very well organized series with great looking medals at the half and 30K. I had a PR at the half and my pace in that race and for 30K were strong indicators that I could hold the 8 min pace needed for a 3:30.Plust the races covered portions of the marathon course so I learned the route really well.  I did weekly interval workouts starting in early Jan.The intervals included 6x800m or 6x1 mile repeats with 2 -3 mile warm up and cool down.  The best part of the marathon was how great I felt the entire way and after. I never new 26.2 could be fun the entire way. My last mile was my fastest. I'm still on cloud nine. Truely one of the best days of my life.

It would kind of stink to get 3:30 exactly, since this thread is titled Sub-3:30.

But there isn't an exactly-3:30 group to join so some of us have to tag along with the over achievers.Wink

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

But there isn't an exactly-3:30 group to join so some of us have to tag along with the over achievers.Wink

Wow, congratulations!  You must have done a great job training.  I dub thee one of the over achievers.  Smile

Phaedra,

Great job on your race.  I also ran Ogden.  It was a beautiful day on a beautiful course.  I ran 3:26:11, so I wasn't to far ahead of you.  I was shooting for sub 3:15 but it just wasn't there.  Guess I still have something to work towards for St. George in Oct.  Once again congrats on a great time.

Thanks, Troy!, What do you think happened in your race? There are so many factors. Still a great time but not what you were dreaming about. I'm doing St G in Oct as well. The heat always gets me there. I've only had really hot races there. Do you live in the SL area?

Wow, congratulations!  You must have done a great job training.  I dub thee one of the over achievers.  Smile

I agree with LedLincoln's most recent comment on your run Phaedra.  You ARE an over achiever!

Love the trend in your marathon PR's:     Oct, 2010     4:15

Oct., 2011    3:46

May 2012    3:30

Improving by 45 minutes in 17 months is impressive! 

Thanks, Troy!, What do you think happened in your race? There are so many factors. Still a great time but not what you were dreaming about. I'm doing St G in Oct as well. The heat always gets me there. I've only had really hot races there. Do you live in the SL area?

My training was not consistent enough this go around to support my goal.  I ran St. George in 2009 and it was not that hot.  I have talked to people who have run it the last few years and I hope it is not that hot this year.  I live in Oakley, Idaho a small town in southern Idaho.

Sugarloaf marathon goal was actually 3:15. But I failed and ran a 3:34.11. I went out at 3:15 pace but it was warm, I didn't feel great and began to slow down around mile 18. By mile 20 I was jog-walking. Was really dehydrated - it took me about a 1/2 gallon of fluids after the race and about 3 hours before I could pee. Wasn't my day. If I had gone out slower and tried for 3:30 I no doubt would have done it. But I went for the BQ and wasn't in good enough shape to do it.

But I have a nice base to build on. Putting Phily on the schedule and will shoot for 3:15 again there. 

3:18:16...PR by 10 minutes!  

Weather turned out to be almost perfect. Everything just seemed to fall into place for me race day.

Congrats, Julie!  Hard earned, well run!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Julia1971

Hey CliveF,

Can you change my next attempt to the New York City Marathon (November 4th) instead of Marine Corps?  Thanks!

J

fake it till you make it

Add me to the sub-3:30 hopeful list please.  Ran a 3:30:54 on 5/12.  Haven't run hardly at all since due to schedule issues. Back on the horse this week to start another cycle of training, this time for Twin Cities Marathon on 10/7/12.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hey CliveF,

Can you change my next attempt to the New York City Marathon (November 4th) instead of Marine Corps?  Thanks!

J

Yes, please change mine from Philly to NYC as well.  Goal is going to be 3:10. o_O

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

northernman

Fight The Future

Add me to the sub-3:30 hopeful list please.  Ran a 3:30:54 on 5/12.  Haven't run hardly at all since due to schedule issues. Back on the horse this week to start another cycle of training, this time for Twin Cities Marathon on 10/7/12.

Good luck with your training Jen. I'll be doing Twin Cities also this fall. Maybe I'll see you at the start? I think they will have a 3:30 pacer...

Stadjak and JenRosie --done.

Good luck with your training Jen. I'll be doing Twin Cities also this fall. Maybe I'll see you at the start? I think they will have a 3:30 pacer...

Northernman, are you to be added to The List, or are you "just running" it?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau