Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Hey, I didn't  want to let this one go by without saying CONGRATS!  Was that a PR, and if so, by how much?

Thanks Clive!!

A PR for sure ... by 21 minutes!
    (Not bad for what wound up being a B-goal race for which I did no specific training.) Big grin

Last year it was a 3:35 that brought me to this thread and challenge.

Liz

pace sera, sera

I haven't run a marathon since 2000, and Oct 2012 is a long ways out, but, I throw in here for Baystate.

Probably too early for a really specific time goal - I think sub 3:30 is very attainable, but sub 3 probably ain't in the cards (at least right now). If I had to guess, and everything breaks right and I train right, then 3:10ish.

Clive - that Baystate attempt was mine (under a different name last year). Turns out my prediction back in December 2011 was pretty close. Though ended up trying for sub 3, came in at 3:06:42.

Thanks.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      Julia1971

I'm running the Marine Corps this Sunday and I've been watching the forecast like a hawk. If it does end up being crazy rain and wind, does it make sense for me to adjust my expectations? I have no experience racing in the rain. Do heavy shoes end up adding a few seconds per mile? Or maybe the wind will be even worse.

I would think the wind would slow you down more than the shoes and wet clothes. But, it's looking like the rain may hold off until Monday. I'll keep my fingers crossed, though. And, +1 on Buzzie's awesome marathon time! You shaved off some serious time.
        Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Julia - thanks! Excited to see you make some magic in NYC!!

dbilenkin - Stop watching the weather like a hawk. It's outside of your control and, therefore, not worthy of your precious energy or stress - save that for the race!
          (And, yes, both wind and rain can slow you. Perhaps not encouraging when looking for a PR, but take heart in the race knowing that the rest of the field will be slogging through the same stuff.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Julia1971

dbilenkin - Stop watching the weather like a hawk. It's outside of your control and, therefore, not worthy of your precious energy or stress - save that for the race!

This is very true.  But having run Boston this year, I'm totally commiserating with you all right now.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Buzzie - of course you are right. And it looks like it won't be too bad after all. By the way, great job on an awesome PR!

Julia - Thanks, and I cannot imagine having gone through Boston this year! I'll take torrential rain and 30mph wind over heat any day! Hopefully NY will be perfect weather for you Smile

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Julia1971

Ran a 6 mile recovery run and then went out to cheer for the MCM runners since Sally held off.  Two hours of ringing a cow bell and yelling, "Let's go runners!", "You got this!", "Finish this!", and "Almost there!" has left me exhausted.  It's funny - half of them seemed to really appreciate the cheering and the other half seemed like they would really like to punch me in the throat.

Taper is going very well.  I've been moving workouts around a bit but not adding mileage.  I've had some phantom injuries but I'm taking them in stride.  Mostly, I've just been trying to watch my weight this week since I'm running less and take care of last minute logistics.  I'm pretty much ready to go.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Well, it just wasn't my day today. I ended up with 3:39:22. Not only is that not sub 3:30, but it's also not a PR which I thought I was definitely going to get of 3:37 Sad  I'm not even really sure what happened. I guess I just didn't have it today.  It was a little windy, and maybe I worked a little too hard on the hills in the beginning, but sometime after 15 miles I really started to fade and was doing mid to high 8 minute pace for the last 10. It's making me question whether my goal was way too ambitious. 

But, it was still a great race, with a pretty nice course, with Marines manning the water stops and at the end giving you a pretty sweet finisher medal. Regardless of the result, I'm glad I did it. 

Julia, thanks for coming out and cheering! I'm sure I must have heard you, and I for one definitely appreciate it!

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Julia1971

Well, it just wasn't my day today. I ended up with 3:39:22. Not only is that not sub 3:30, but it's also not a PR which I thought I was definitely going to get of 3:37 Sad  I'm not even really sure what happened. I guess I just didn't have it today.  It was a little windy, and maybe I worked a little too hard on the hills in the beginning, but sometime after 15 miles I really started to fade and was doing mid to high 8 minute pace for the last 10. It's making me question whether my goal was way too ambitious. 

But, it was still a great race, with a pretty nice course, with Marines manning the water stops and at the end giving you a pretty sweet finisher medal. Regardless of the result, I'm glad I did it. 

Julia, thanks for coming out and cheering! I'm sure I must have heard you, and I for one definitely appreciate it!

Sorry to read you missed your time goal.  My guess is that you were pretty exhausted from fighting the wind all day.  Standing still, it didn't feel that strong, but from checking the National Weather Service readings, there were 20+ mph gusts while you all were out there.  Nice work!  I saw the medal online and it's pretty.  Smile  Congratulations!

northernman

Fight The Future

So, are you two going to New York to run?

Julia1971

So, are you two going to New York to run?

I'm still planning on it.  My hotel and transportation are okay, so at the very least, I'm spending the weekend in Manhattan.  But, I'm hoping the clean-up continues to advance faster than anticipated and everyone can feel good about running the race this weekend.

northernman

Fight The Future

Sounds good. Just wanted to wish you a good luck before you leave. You're going to do great, I'm sure. 

Julia1971

Sounds good. Just wanted to wish you a good luck before you leave. You're going to do great, I'm sure. 

Aw, thanks!  That's better than what my best friend posted on my FB wall: "You better not mess this up".  (She's a New Yorker).

Julia1971

Well, as you’ve probably read, the New York City Marathon has been cancelled.  So, I won’t have another sub-3:30 attempt this year.  I could find another marathon but I had already planned to take next week off and then start training for the Rock n Roll D.C. in March.  (Hmmm…  Top 10 finish in my first marathon three years later?  That would be pretty sweet!)

Plus, there’s no reason to – the main reason I joined this group was for motivation after a surgery left me doubting whether I would ever be “fast” again.  But, since I set PRs in every race distance (except the marathon) this year, I’m not only as fast as I was this time last year but faster.

Wow, what a crazy year it's been for my marathoning!  Thanks to all of you who have supported me first for Boston and then for New York.  Congratulations to all the graduates so far and continued good luck to those still waiting for their shot - I still plan to check in on you all and see how you do.

Julia

P.S.  Since I won’t be making another attempt, I’m going to make my log private in a couple days so I can go back to adding all the notes and details I'd like to have.  So, if you want to see how I applied Pfitz 18/80 and 18/70 for my marathons this year, take a look this weekend because it may be gone by Monday.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Julia - I'm sorry it's come to this. You've been On Fire this year and were totally ready to take some names.

But, I'll certainly have my eye out on your next marathon. Smile

Liz

pace sera, sera