Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

Congrats on the PR Clive!! Great job!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

CliveF - can you put me down for a sub 3:15?

Running Philly this weekend. 

Thanks!

On a somewhat related note, after poo-pooing the value of doing things like strides and form drills, I integrated them into my training this year and I think they really did help with improving my running.  If you do decide to go with Pfitz, I would recommend reading that chapter and integrating some of that stuff since he doesn't put it directly in the plan.

Julia, are those drill sin his first-edition Advanced Marathoning book or only the second-edition?  I have some drills from Pete Magill, but I'd be interested in the Pfitz stuff too.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Julia1971

Julia, are those drill sin his first-edition Advanced Marathoning book or only the second-edition?  I have some drills from Pete Magill, but I'd be interested in the Pfitz stuff too.

I have the second edition.  Pages 102-104 discuss drills.  There are pictures of some but I mixed in some others as well - about 5 minutes once a week.  I think it helped with flexibility and range of motion in my legs.

3:17:29 today at Philadelphia Marathon.

Had a great experience and learned a lot at my second marathon.

Overall very happy with a 12 minute PR!

Julia1971

3:17:29 today at Philadelphia Marathon.

Had a great experience and learned a lot at my second marathon.

Overall very happy with a 12 minute PR!

Sweet!  Great performance.  Congrat!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

CliveF: if you can put me down for Philly, time goal 3:10, I'd appreciate it.

3:08:45. 

w00t, graduate!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

3:08:45. 

w00t, graduate!

Just read your report in the other thread.  Simply fantastic work, man.  You put in a LOT of work this training cycle, and it payed off big!  That's awesome.  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

EGH3 – 18NOV2012 – Philadelphia (Philadelphia PA) – Goal = 3:15  RESULT = ____

3:13:48 Big grin

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Has a 2013 3:30 thread been created yet?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Nope.  I'm happy to continue, but I'm open to letting someone else in on the fun if anyone has a firm desire.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Clive - good to know. New to RA forum as I was very active in RWOL, but made switch like a lot of folks. I posted regularly in the 3:30 thread there and still do. I missed my 3:30 in Harrisburg. I had a solid cycle and my fitness was there, but dealt with some blister around mile 16-17 and did me in. Still PR'd with a 3:47, but still disappointing. Not running a spring marathon, but focusing on my speed with 2 HMs. using Daniels 5k-15k to train for them. I plan to be a regular here in 2013 3:30.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Julia1971

3:13:48 Big grin

I think I missed this one somehow...  Congratulations, graduate! 

hairshirt knitter

rubhadubh – 07OCT2012 – Valley Harvest (Wolfville NS)  RESULT = DNS

Am I not allowed to claim graduation based on my 3:23:49 at the Friends of Keji trail marathon 15 SEPT? Please? :-)

Am I not allowed to claim graduation based on my 3:23:49 at the Friends of Keji trail marathon 15 SEPT? Please? :-)

Sorry, I didn't see you post a try or result for it. Blush  Got it now, though!

-- Dick LeBeau