non-runners running claims? (Read 269 times)

Do you have any good stories from non/ex runners claiming greatness? which are either clearly false or probably..? do share.

recently I heard a non-runner who decided to go for a run... ended up running a fast 6 miles and was dead afterwards.

I have my doubts this alleged run was anywhere near 6 miles...

not sure how many 30+ year olds who haven't run in a decade could go out for a run and knock off a quick 6 miles...?

300m- 37 sec.

I've met a lot of people who've "run a mile in about 4 minutes", usually in a PE class when they were in high school, sometimes jr high. I used to ask which college they got a scholarship to, but stopped being snarky. I think they really don't know how fast that would be and just remember "6:04" as being "4:06" or something. I encounter FAR more men who were Navy Seals than 4 minute milers. From my estimate, nearly 1 in 10 men has been a Navy Seal, and nearly half of all men have been in "Special Forces". 

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I started running at 42yo and my second run was over 10 miles (honest!) but can’t remember the pace.

People will tend to exaggerate about pace rather than distance. Some folk can run/jog a marathon on virtually no training.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

A little different, but I hear non-runners say all the time, "Oh, I could NEVER run..."  I tell them, "Hey, if I can, ANYBODY without physical handicaps can!"

Eisenmench

<3's heckin long zoomies

"My husband signed up for and ran the Chicago Marathon with only a week's notice."

Reasons I don't believe it:

1) this allegedly happened in the late 2000s. Pretty sure you had to lottery to get in at that time.

2) husband was a very inactive person.

Started running - 2014

1st marathon - 2017

Still trying to figure out a good training plan that works for me.

not sure how many 30+ year olds who haven't run in a decade could go out for a run and knock off a quick 6 miles...?

A lot. Surely not most, but more than you would think. And everyone's definition of "haven't run in decade" is different.

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

A lot. Surely not most, but more than you would think. And everyone's definition of "haven't run in decade" is different.

Damn soccer players.  They make the rest of us look like chumps.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

and these youngsters...................

Get off my porch

Do you have any good stories from non/ex runners claiming greatness? which are either clearly false or probably..? do share.

recently I heard a non-runner who decided to go for a run... ended up running a fast 6 miles and was dead afterwards.

I have my doubts this alleged run was anywhere near 6 miles...

I like how you are questioning the length of the run, but not whether he was dead or not. 

I remember my first job out of college, being fresh out of college track,

a fellow worker who was "young" like 32-35yo at the time... who played rec league soccer once a weak I assume? telling me he's about 8-10% bodyfat, lol, something on the radio mentioned bodyfat, I looked at him dumbfounded probably smirked or laughed, as I was about 10% at that moment, I remember telling him he's probably about 20%,

300m- 37 sec.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Someone has heard Paul Ryan.

You people have issues 

Strict WTF adherent

I know a woman who claims a two-ish hour (full) marathon.

I don't fight it.

I also am a former Navy SEAL.

strambo

Usually more context needed.  Start of the year I could claim to be able to bang out a fast 6 miles or 11mi trail run without any training or prior running more than 6mi/month.  However, I was (am) in excellent all-around condition so all starting to run means is sore legs/knees until my body adapts to the new activity and volume.

A couch potato?  I'd take any such claims with a yuuuge grain 'o salt. LOL about the "Navy Seals" and "Special Forces" out there, once in a while I meet someone who's legit (I have the background to tell).

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There was a time when you could find on these forums the man pretty much responsible for the success of the Navy SEALs, thanks to his advanced training system.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*snerk*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay