srlopez doppelganger, party of one. Can I get a pink shirt to go, please? (Read 854 times)

galberras

fear the Col Sanders

It isn't often that you can say that the last few months have definitively been the worst of your entire life... and I guess that is a good thing. 

My mom has recently started her 3rd and final battle with breast cancer.  This time it has metastasized to the outside of the lung and diaphragm.  The pictures the doc took were cool but the news was definitely not   Nothing like the surgeon saying that the cancer is all over the place and that she would have less than a year to live.

I know everyone has to come to terms with their parents passing but my mom is only 66.  I always envisioned many happy years of her as a happy old lady playing with me and my kids.

Anyway, I've had a lot of time to process this information and I've learned a lot from it.  First, and possibly most important, do not try running when crying.  Being able to breath is a key component of running that snot rockets fully impede.

Now to the point.  srlopez said he was okay with people using the pink shirt idea so I thought I would run in pink as a tribute during my 1st marathon in 2 weeks.  My mom will be cheering me on so I thought it would be a nice moment.  However, I had no idea how hard it is to procure a pink shirt!  No mens singlets in pink, obviously, so I started looking at the womens.  I purchased an XL Under Armour one that is long enough but the arm holes are too small for my <sarcasm> massive guns </sarcasm>.  The Brooks looked too short to cover my midriff.  *sigh*  This is making me so frustrated...

So, I turn to you guys for help.  Is it possible to dye technical fabric?  Would it turn the singlet into a giant ball of uncomfortable hotness?  Is there a place to actually buy a mens singlet in pink?  Should I buy the Under Armour one and take to expanding the arm holes?  Do I buy a Mens 26.2 with Donna singlet?  Seems kinda cheeseball since I haven't run that marathon...

I am not nearly as trained as I would like to be for this.  Real Life has gotten in the way of more mileage but such is life.  It hasn't been ALL bad, though.  If you have made it this far in this message, I present the latest addition to the brood:

srlopez, I'll buy you a beer as royalty payments if/when I get the chance to meet you.

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

xor

I can/will respond to the stuff behind the stuff later once I've had a chance to consider.

As for the specific question, I've always bought women's shirts.  Sometimes L, sometimes XL.  I always have to try them on first, though.  As you've found, some are kind of like belly shirts (though with my size, XL helps cover this better).  And for my less-than-massive guns, the arm holes are cut funky and sometimes the underarm side rubs.  I don't buy those.

No magic, though.  I'm looking at pink shirts all the time, when I find some that work, I buy them.

Never tried dyeing.  Interesting thought.

Good luck.  Take it easy.

Where is your marathon in two weeks?  (not that I could come, sorry to say.  I'm committed somewhere else that weekend)

I have a couple of the Donna singlets too.  They are white and the fit nicely.  As you can see, though, they are basically just advertising for a specific race.  I dunno.

Oh yeah, it seems that Komen is about to start their version of a TNT-like thing.  You might check the Susan G Komen site and see if they have any stuff you like in men's.

A Saucy Wench

sorry to hear about your mom. 

Swimming and crying works pretty well though.  You can even scream underwater without people really hearing.  I have raged at the world many a time in the lap lane.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Joel, would this work?  It even comes in plus sizes.  And it's cheap.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom...(((hugs))) to your entire family.  We lost my FIL over 2 years ago to cancer.  He was only in his early 60s and otherwise the picture of health.  He did everything right, but cancer isn't always choosy.  I love that you are looking for a way to visibly honor her with your running.

Congrats on that beautiful little one.  I'm glad your mom will enjoy spending time with that sweet bundle of softness.  Our son was nearly 6 when my FIL died.  We were thankful that he was able to develop a close relationship to his grandpa and still has a strong memory of him.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

NolaGal1

How about this one?    Eastbay tank

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.  My prayers are with you both and your family. 

Good luck with the marathon!

Misinformation Officer

WalMart has decent quality plus sized tech shirts, usually avail in pink

Beware, batbear...

Have you thought about hitting up a local t-shirt print shop?  You may not be able to get a pink shirt, but I'm betting you could get pink lettering.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

galberras

fear the Col Sanders

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I don't have much time to respond now but I will be heading to Wally World and Targee today.  If that fails, I just may roll the dice and buy that XXL one, NolaGal1.

SR, I will be running the 2nd edition of the Utah Valley marathon.  It was a last minute decision.  It is small, low key, and local.  I thought that would be a good fit for my ice breaker marathon.  The original plan was to just run this to get my feet wet and use it as a training run for St George this fall.  Well, I got rejected from SG so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I may visit my brother in Folsom and run CIM.  I am adding the 26.2 with Donna to my official race list for down the road sometime.  Although, running on the beach sounds brutal (for those of us that have never done it).

Oh, and yelling in the pool.  I like that idea!  I will have to give it a try.  It reminds that playing tennis angry = bad while playing racquetball angry = good.  Certain sports are definitely better under different emotions!  Maybe it is time to play some racquetball after the marathon is down Smile

More later.  Thanks again.  You guys are the best.

xor

Only a few miles of the breast cancer marathon (one of the other two names for 26.2 with Donna) are on the beach and it is hard packed sand, not deep stuff.  It's not bad.

C-R

Joel,

Sorry to hear about your mom. Cancer sucks. My wife has just reached past her first year after all the treatments/surgeries/ect. and things look good but every doctors appt is a nervous event for us.

As for the pink singlet question. I also "ripped off" SRs idea (it is a great one but ala I won't be running in nearly as many marathons as SR the marathon machine) and have one I use my wifes name and cancer messages written on it. I got mine from Soark website. Not the full pink but rather a pink front tab. However, it comes in men's sizes (go figure) and is a nice singlet to boot as I buy most of my gear from them. I get lots of stares when I wear it until people can read what I've written on it.

Best of luck with everything.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I am very sorry to hear about your mom. Sad  I lost my mom last year to brain cancer (glioblastoma multi-forme), she was only 53.  I completely understand how hard it is to run and cry.  I actually gave up running for almost 2 months when she was first diagnosed and after she died I didn't run for a month.  Walking and crying is much easier.

I hope you find a pink shirt while you are out shopping today.

~Liz, single mama to K, L & C Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit.
                        galberras

fear the Col Sanders

Success!

For those of you that actually care, I found my shirt for my race.  I spent many hours yesterday perusing all the local retail.  I was *this* close to having to go to Walmart when I remembered my good friend Kohl's.  Yay Kohl's.  Now all I need is a fatter Sharpie and I should be good to go.  Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Norm, glad to hear your wife is doing okay now.  Thanks for that link.  I nearly ordered their 'hot pink' one.  I got a good laugh when I clicked on the link.  The flag shorts crack me up.  All I can think about is Napoleon Dynamite and getting a roundhouse to the head from Rex in those bad boys.

Liz, sorry to hear about your mom.  It is truly and awful disease. 

Zoomy, you hit the major reason I can't have my mom go soon.  I really want my kids to all know how great my mom is.  Growing up, my grandparents were all old and I REALLY hated having to go visit them.  I love that it is so different for my kids now.

It is interesting to me the prevalence of cancer these days.  Is it because doctors can better diagnose it now?  Or is it somehow environmentally driven?  Or am I just old enough now to know a lot of people with cancer?

One last thing.  My mom is an identical twin.  When she had her 1st go with cancer 15 years ago, the oncologist said that it was only a matter of time before my aunt would be diagnosed.  Well, to this date, still nothing.  Knock on wood.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

If we don't see pictures of you running a race in that shirt, there will be Hell to pay Mister.

My Mom is a survivor. Your's will be too.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

Liz, sorry to hear about your mom.  It is truly and awful disease. 

Thank you.  I'm glad you found a shirt, we definitely wanna see pictures of you running in it!

~Liz, single mama to K, L & C Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit.

Another Passion

Very sorry to read the news of your mom, Joel.  As others have said, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family.  Ditto on the race pic with the shirt as well.  Run long, run strong... and when you can't, dig deep for your mom.  It really helps.  I finished my first full marathon with a stress fractured right tibia (unknowingly) and was running it in honor of my grown cousin with severe cerebral palsy.  She got me through to the finish from 10K out.  Well, so did Mishka and his tales of Alpacas... but that's a story for another day.  Best wishes in your race and in your mother's battle.  I have a feeling you will both succeed in kicking some respective a**! 

Rick
                                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                                runningforcassy.blogspot.com