Complete beginner runner to 5K (Read 79 times)

tomschelfaut

Hey everybody! I'm a complete noob at running, so bear with me. I'll give you some background first... I've been lifting weights on and off for the last few years.. Recently I started lifting again after a long layoff, but I wanted to also incorporate a bit of basic cardio training, because despite the weightlifting, my cardiovascular capabilities are pretty awful and I want to fix that. Also, I'm at a decent weight now and I'd like to keep the fat gains at a minimum whilst training my strength levels...

Yesterday I did my first serious attempt at a run ever. I did 5 kilometres in about 32 minutes, switching between walking and running (mostly about 2-3 min running, never more than 1 min walking). Near the end I was running for about 4-5 min straight. It was hard, but very doable. The only thing that bothered me was that my quads and calves were getting sore pretty quickly while running... Today I'm only mildly sore, probably thanks to intensive stretching before and after my run...

Now, my starting goal is to be able to run the whole 5K straight. How should I go about this? Should I just repeat what I did yesterday, but run for a bit longer here and there, or should I follow an online couch to 5K program? Those programs seem to progress pretty slowly and I have the feeling I can get there faster... I just want to be careful with possible injuries as I would like to continue lifting...

The goal would not be to run long distance races, just somewhere between 5 and 10k and improve my time there just to get a decent cardio workout that doesn't cut too much into my weight training...

Some stats: I'm 32 years old, about 200lbs, 6.2 feet tall. I try to eat between 3000 - 3500/3600 Kcal per day, with at least 1g of proteint per lb of bodyweight. Also worth mentioning, I've been a heavy smoker (1.5 packs per day) for the last 15 years straight. Recently I've switched to vaping.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Sounds like you've made a good start of it.  Checking out any of the "Couch to 5k" programs out there on the interwebs is probably your best bet.

Also, since many people make the mistake of using their 10year lawnmower shoes when they start out, I suggest you get a new pair of kicks.  If your shoes are busted, you'll sometimes have problems related.  That being said, if your cross-trainers are relatively new, I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Running, and other endurance sports, have a key difference from weightlifting.  Weightlifters push themselves to muscle failure every time.  Runners do not.  Running requires a different approach because you are building different systems within your body.

Most running is best done at a conversational effort, where you can speak in complete sentences without straining.  Running is best done every day, or at least 5 to 6 days per week.  And (have fun wrapping your mind around this) most runs are finished with the feeling that you could easily have gone faster and farther.

I suggest running 2 to 3 kilometers each day, and run / walk, with the walk time about equal to the run time.  When you can easily do that six or so days per week without soreness or fatigue, then gradually decrease the walking and increase the distance.  When you can easily run 5K every day without walking, then (optional) start thinking about speed work and longer runs.

Muscles strengthen quickly, while tendons and bones build slowly over years.  Running requires strong tendons and bones to handle the impacts.  You are far better off to build up slowly.  Most running injuries are caused by trying to run too far too fast too soon.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

C25k does progress pretty slowly, but that is very intentional. Too much too fast is going to get you injured. Have some patience and take your time building up. And when you are running, keep it easy. Think conversational easy; if you can't take in short sentences bc you are breathing too hard, you are pushing too much. Don't worry about pace or speed and just focus on spending some time running. Good luck! Smile

Stadjak is right about your shoes too. Go to a running store and get fitted. It will be worth it. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

dumrunner

Couch to 5K is a great way to start. That's what I did when I started running nine years ago. I started and stopped the program three times before I finally finished all nine weeks, and a few weeks later, ran a 5K. So, total time was about six months. I lost about 30 pounds along the way, mostly by cutting out soda and snacks.

Good for you! Have fun and enjoy yourself.