What will Boston entry be like next year? (Read 1470 times)

They are a whole lot of strange.  A guy my age needs to run a 3:10 but I only need to run a 3:50?  Bizarre.  And why does it say 3:15-3:50 for my age group, which is another weird thing.  18-49?  Wow.

Here's some NYC guaranteed entry times just because I felt like looking them up.  Unlike Boston they use age on qualifying race day.  One birthday gives you 15 extra minutes.  Crap.  I thought I was getting better with age, but they think I'm going to come to a screeching halt. 

Unfortunately, those NYC guaranteed entry times are for 2012 and that entry period is over. The new ones are here:

http://www.nycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/Guaranteed_Entry_Guidelines.htm

And they are rather tough. Sub-3:00 for open women. Sub-2:50 for Men 40-44. They pull no punches, especially with women...

The size of the age blocks is a compromise between complexity and fairness, I would assume.  Take it down to 1-year, and all of a sudden the difference between when you run the qualifier and when you run the race is very significant.  IMHO a 1-yr difference is too fine...training is much more relevant than aging 1 year.  But yes, there is a good difference between 41 and 45.

Look at it this way, is not sub-39 a single age group?  I can tell you from personal experience that there is a hell of a difference between 28 and 33....much less 22 and 39.

For qualifying for Boston, there is a 35-39 age group, though in the awards category there is only a 18-39 age group. The BQ time for 35-39 is 3:10 now. 3:15 for 40-44 and 3:25 for 45-49.

Kalsarikännit

Unfortunately, those NYC guaranteed entry times are for 2012 and that entry period is over. The new ones are here:

http://www.nycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/Guaranteed_Entry_Guidelines.htm

And they are rather tough. Sub-3:00 for open women. Sub-2:50 for Men 40-44. They pull no punches, especially with women...

Wow.  Thanks for pointing that out.  A 23 minute drop for my age group.  Yikes!  Thank goodness I have no desire to ever run NYC.

More qualifiers:  The Gansett Marathon (formerly Exeter).  Five minutes faster than Boston, and qualifying is the only way to get in.  It is held Boston weekend so you can run a low key marathon and not pay $300 for a hotel room while meeting up with friends running Boston and watching the race.

Pikes Peak has a very lenient qualifying time, but that lets you qualify with a difficult trail marathon which would better prepare you for the race, and is pretty much used just to keep out people that have never run a marathon before.  You will never equate PW with having a bad race after doing this race.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

Just be glad getting into Boston isn't like registering for Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference.

That sold out in two hours this morning, even with tightened registration restrictions. Glad I didn't sleep in. Last year it was 12 hours, the year before, 10 days.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I heard that it was just announced that Patrick Makau isn't fast enough to run Boston.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just be glad getting into Boston isn't like registering for Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference.

That sold out in two hours this morning, even with tightened registration restrictions. Glad I didn't sleep in. Last year it was 12 hours, the year before, 10 days.

Don't they base it on app dev qualifying times?

Wow.  Thanks for pointing that out.  A 23 minute drop for my age group.  Yikes!  Thank goodness I have no desire to ever run NYC.

More qualifiers:  The Gansett Marathon (formerly Exeter).  Five minutes faster than Boston, and qualifying is the only way to get in.  It is held Boston weekend so you can run a low key marathon and not pay $300 for a hotel room while meeting up with friends running Boston and watching the race.

Pikes Peak has a very lenient qualifying time, but that lets you qualify with a difficult trail marathon which would better prepare you for the race, and is pretty much used just to keep out people that have never run a marathon before.  You will never equate PW with having a bad race after doing this race.  

Gansett has the same qualifying standards as Boston now. This year there were 109 runners in the Gansett Marathon.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

More qualifiers 

Don't forget about the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon. You have to qualify for that too.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Don't forget about the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon. You have to qualify for that too.

How does the age grading for that work -- your IQ has to be lower as you get older, or lower for the young-uns?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

bhearn

I think you mean you have to be certified.

I think you mean you have to be certified.

Um certified crazy to run that thing.  Besides everyone knows it is fixed on who gets in that race and who does not.  Wink

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                        • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                        • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Imminent Catastrophe

The Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.) announced that registration for the 2013 Boston Marathon® will continue on Monday, September 24 at 10:00 a.m. ET for runners who have met the qualifying standards necessary for the submission of thei

r application. Following an initial two-week, rolling admission registration period, which began on September 10 and concluded on Friday, September 21 at 5:00 p.m. ET, the B.A.A. will accept applications until the maximum field size is reached. 

So it didn't fill today. This means, I think, if you qualified, you're in!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

#artbydmcbride

Until it fills!  Hit those keyboards Monday!  1st come first serve now!

Runners run