Sitting All Day (Read 933 times)

Non ducor, duco.

Anyone got any special tricks to help with sitting all day at a desk? It used to not bother me, but with added mileage, I find it hard to take. I try to take a breaks often but wondered if anyone had more creative ideas.

Menace to Sobriety

Do you have to be at the desk? I have a similar problem, but I get up and walk around the plant a couple times in the the AM and then again after lunch. If I cruise the entire site, it takes around 15-20 minutes. Keeps me from getting tight after a hard morning run, and it makes me look concerned about work......win-win.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Nursing student running

Eat Chocolate! Big grin
        Goals: 08-09' Buy 2 really good bras. Do NOT fall off the running wagon this school year. Run the Turkey Day 5k. Get upto 20 mpw by New Years. Run 10k Triathalon Half Marathon by next summer. Get into some skinny jeans! (all while eating chocolate.)
        jeffdonahue

A few things I try to do. First is to get up every once in a while. Some days I will actually set my Outlook reminder to pop up every 15 minutes or so to remind me to get up. When you do get up - stretch a bit, even if it is just touching your toes. I also do some toe taps (may really annoy the person on the floor below you depending on the buildign you are in) but I find it helps keep at least my lower legs looser.
          jeffdonahue

Oh yeah - some more tips. Try NOT to wrap your legs together under your chair. I know that is how I sit a lot of the time but it puts undue stress on your knees, quads and ankles. And actually a better idea is to get a foot rest to put your feet on - a box or one of those small plastic office trash cans or recycle bins works just as well.

Drink a lot of water. I drink water constantly throughout the day, which means that I don't have to remember to get up. My body tells me when its time to get up at least 2 or 3 times per hour. Big grin The bonus result? You are well hydrated.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Menace to Sobriety

I also do some toe taps (may really annoy the person on the floor below you depending on the buildign you are in) but I find it helps keep at least my lower legs looser.
                Try not to let this carry over to when you're in a restroom stall to avoid any misunderstanding. Cool

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Nursing student running

Holy Cow Woman, what the heck are you training for?! You're running 60miles/week WOW!! Shocked
                  Goals: 08-09' Buy 2 really good bras. Do NOT fall off the running wagon this school year. Run the Turkey Day 5k. Get upto 20 mpw by New Years. Run 10k Triathalon Half Marathon by next summer. Get into some skinny jeans! (all while eating chocolate.)

Giants Fan

Girl, I think you need to get up here and run my marathon with me in September!!!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Fool

Have you tried the popular 5K to Couch plan? It really helped get me started in being sedentary, and before long I was officially an 'ultra-sitter'. I'll find and post the link, if I can get off my ass. Wink

Was it all a dream?

I try to think about how fortunate I am to sit and rest my wary legs all day instead of having a more active job. That, and I run during lunch and drink a lot of water.

Non ducor, duco.

I try to think about how fortunate I am to sit and rest my wary legs all day instead of having a more active job. That, and I run during lunch and drink a lot of water.
                          Nice. I like this. I should just change my perspective and quit bitchin. I tried the foot rest and that worked. Im also eyeing a nice ergonomic chair that tilts. Thanks for the ideas.

The Greatest of All Time

I try to think about how fortunate I am to sit and rest my wary legs all day instead of having a more active job.
                            When I was doing doubles in the spring I cherished being at a desk all day. So you know, you could start running twice day...that might sort you out. Tongue
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Non ducor, duco.

So you know, you could start running twice day...that might sort you out. Tongue
                              I guess I could do a Scovil then, huh. Cool.

dork.major dork.

I do the exercises listed below sometimes when things get bad. I try to focus on posture and I drink a lot of water. http://www.efuse.com/yoga/

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.